How to downgrade a SP2010 solution to SP2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there,

I developed a solution for Sp2010 which includes Workflows, EventReceiver and a Event receiver which modifys the web.config. Now I have the requirements to develop the same solution for a sp2007 environment.

Since sp2010 solutions are not backwards compatible (as far as I am infomed), what would be the easiest way to achieve this? Is there a tool out there, or do I have to build a new solution using vs2008 and the corresponding sp2007 templates?

thanks!

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 11:13 AM

Answers

• Since sp2010 solutions are not backwards compatible (as far as I am infomed),

That's only true in the obvious sense that if you use a feature of SharePoint 2010 (like, say, a site workflow or a custom action on the Ribbon) that was not part of SP 2007, then its not going to work. But it doesn't sound like your solution uses anything new in 2010, so as Anders suggested you should try to install your wsp just as it is. See if you get any errors when deploying or if users do when using the solution. Those errors will tell you what you might need to do differently in the 2007 version.
    Rick - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by GuYuming Friday, April 29, 2011 9:35 AM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 11:55 PM

All replies

• You can't use the Visual Studio 2010 Tools for SharePoint in order to do some SP2007 development. If you don't have a custom solution (e.g. own vb scripts creating your solution http://sptemplateland.codeplex.com/) you will need to do it again using VS2008 and the templates.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but that's why I stick to my own stuff instead of the Visual Studio templates.

Andreas Glaser
    Install SharePoint
    SharePoint Tutorial
    SharePoint Book
    • Proposed as answer by Cawood Tuesday, April 19, 2011 12:21 PM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 11:52 AM
  • Have you tried to deploy your wsp as it is using stsadm. Most of the core funtionality hasn't changed at all.

Tuesday, April 19, 2011 1:20 PM
  • Since sp2010 solutions are not backwards compatible (as far as I am infomed),

That's only true in the obvious sense that if you use a feature of SharePoint 2010 (like, say, a site workflow or a custom action on the Ribbon) that was not part of SP 2007, then its not going to work. But it doesn't sound like your solution uses anything new in 2010, so as Anders suggested you should try to install your wsp just as it is. See if you get any errors when deploying or if users do when using the solution. Those errors will tell you what you might need to do differently in the 2007 version.
    Rick - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by GuYuming Friday, April 29, 2011 9:35 AM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 11:55 PM
  • I tried to install the wsp on the 2007 environment, but got the following error:

Fehler bei der Überprüfung des Lösungsmanifests für Lösung '5ae6a45f-d317-4763-b
    f60-e794f3683c75', Datei 'manifest.xml', Zeile 2, Zeichen 110.: Das Title-Attrib
    ut wurde nicht deklariert.

Which means something like this: The title attribut in solution ... in file manifest.xml was not declared.

I am not sure if this has something to do with the change of the environment? Anyway, the same solution works fine, when deployed in an 2010 environment....

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 7:19 AM
  • Sorry. It seems like they have changed the schema for the manifest file. I wasn't aware of that untill now.

SharePoint 2007 only had a SolutionId attribute on the solution element in the manifest file. SharePoint 2010 has added two additional attributes Title and SharePointProductVersion. Try to remove these and see if it helps. You can find the xml files in the "pkgobj" folder.

You will most likly have to create a .ddf file and run makecab /f cab.ddf to create a SharePoint 2007 wsp package. Like you would do in the old days before WSPBuilder and SharePoint 2010.

For more info on how to build wsp files manually see the link below :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb466225(v=office.12).aspx

Wednesday, April 20, 2011 9:18 AM