none
Suppress DebugView Dbgv.sys error on startup. RRS feed

• Question

• If you run DebugView (DbgView.exe) on Windows Vista with UAC enabled then you always get an error message:

Could not extract DebugView driver to
    C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\Dbgv.sys: Access is denied.

Kernel debug output capture will be unavailable.

This is, of course, because the application is running with restricted access. If I run it with full access the error message doesn't occur, but I still get the error message next time I run it normally.

This error message is annoying because I'm not interested in debugging anything inside the kernel; I only care about normal applications. After clicking OK the program works fine for my needs so I don't really care that Dbgv.sys couldn't be extracted. :)

Would it be possible to change DbgView so that it doesn't attempt to install Dbgv.sys if kernel debugging was switched off the last time it was run?

Also, for people who do want to debug kernel stuff, could the driver extraction be done using UAC? Or should those people manually set the program to Run as Administrator? (Please don't make it always request admin rights as it doesn't need for debugging non-kernel processes and it'd be nice not to have any UAC prompt in my situation.)

(I did a forum search to check for anyone else asking this and didn't find anyone. Sorry if I didn't search well enough. Seemed like something someone else would have mentioned by now. Maybe it's just me. :))

Thanks, as always, for the very useful tools. Process Monitor, in particular, solves problems all the time and it's neat to see the old RegMon/FileMon improved.

Monday, May 7, 2007 9:50 AM

All replies

• I also need to be able to start Dbgview without getting hte "Kernal debug output capture will be unavailable" message.  Our PCs do not have admin rights and I would like to start Dbgview at startup time without making the users click OK to the message.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 11:15 AM
  • Hi qantanzu,

What version of DbgView are you using?  When I start DbgView v4.76 for the first time on a system, capturing of kernel output is not checked by default; thus, there is no prompt that "Kernel debug output capture will be unavailable.".
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 12:05 PM
  • I'm using version 4.76.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 12:09 PM
  • Our PCs do not have admin rights
    So, how would "Capture Kernel" ever get checked/enabled?
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 12:11 PM
  • I don't know.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 12:17 PM
  • So is the dialog box really a problem in your environment?
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 12:18 PM
  • This is the command line I am using.

d:\ioi\apps\dbgview.exe /t /l d:\GCTI\dbgview\dbgview.log /a /n
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 12:19 PM
  • I prefer not to have the users have to acknowledge the message every time they log in.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 12:21 PM
  • I'm able to use that command-line multiple times without getting prompted as described.

In the event you get the prompt, you should be able to use the following series of commands to achieve what you wish:
      reg delete hkcu\software\sysinternals\dbgview /f
      reg add hkcu\software\sysinternals\dbgview /v eulaaccepted /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
      d:\ioi\apps\dbgview.exe /t /l d:\GCTI\dbgview\dbgview.log /a /n

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 12:34 PM
  • I may have left out an important piece of information.  I am running this on a Citrix server.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 12:41 PM
  • While I'm not familiar with that environment, I'd still suggest trying the commands specified in the previous post...
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 12:44 PM
  • It didn't work.  I still get the error message when dbgview.exe is started.
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 5:17 AM
  • Please post a screenshot of the message you are referring to.
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 5:25 AM
  • Wednesday, May 20, 2009 5:49 AM
  • I'm not able to reproduce this.  So long as each time DbgView is invoked, the user settings for it are cleared, the EulaAccepted flag is added, and DbgView is launched and run without indicating a desire to capture kernel mode output, DbgView does not display the message for a standard user, on subsequent invocations.  Even so, the act of clearing the registry settings and accepting the EULA should be adequate to restore the environment such that the error dialog would not again be presented.
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 5:59 AM
  • What happens if you remove [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sysinternals\DebugView]?  Are you certain v4.76 is being launched?
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 6:00 AM
  • You were right.  I was running V4.64 of dbgview.exe.  I changed to V4.76 and I no longer get the error message.  Thanks.
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 6:36 AM
  • Smile  You're welcome, qantanzu. 
    Wednesday, May 20, 2009 6:38 AM
  • Dbgview.exe /accepteula
    Wednesday, July 10, 2019 12:46 PM