none
Can I backup Hyper V instances with one DPM server and those instances content with another DPM Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks,

I understand DPM 2010 agents can only attach to a single DPM Server.  But, can I have DPM agents (backing up content) running within Hyper V VHDs attached to one DPM 2010 server (Server # 1) and then have the Hyper-V VHDs themselves backed up by a second DPM server (The agent on the Hyper V host attached to DPM Server # 2)

Thanks in advance,

Ivan

Ivan

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 7:51 PM

Answers

• Hi,

OK I think I got it.

You want DPM1 to protect the workloads (SQL DB, exchange, Sharepoint, files, shares) inside the Guests, by installing agents inside the guests.
    You want DPM2 to backup the Hyper-V guests using host protection (installing DPM agent on the hyper-V Host)

Yes, you can do that but for the Guests that are running protected applications like SQL, exchange, you need to add this registry key so host level backups do not truncate application logs.  Inside each Guest add this registry setting.  Also be sure that the backups are scheduled for different times so vss shadow copy creations don't conflict.

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Virtualization\VssRequestor
    Name: BackupType
    Type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 0 or 1

If this registry entry is created and its value is set to 1 , application backup will not be affected by the virtual machine backup operation on the server that is running Hyper-V. If this registry entry does not exist, or if its value is 0 , issue 3 occurs.

More information about this is found in this QFE:

975354  A Hyper-V update rollup is available for Windows Server 2008 R2
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;975354

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by Ivan Polk Wednesday, November 7, 2012 11:25 PM
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 11:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Yes, that is called Secondary (DR) protection using a Secondary DPM Server and you can read about it here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff634186.aspx

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 9:47 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thanks for the response, but that's not my question.  I know you can backup the primary DPM server with a secondary DPM server, but...

I would like to have one DPM server backing up the content contained in the multiple VHDs on a single Hyper V Host.  Then I want a second DPM server backing up the entire VHDs on that single Hyper V host.  DPM Server #1 data from VHDs, DPM Server #2 the VHDs themselves.  Can I do that?

Thanks,

Ivan

Ivan

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 10:50 PM
  • Hi,

OK I think I got it.

You want DPM1 to protect the workloads (SQL DB, exchange, Sharepoint, files, shares) inside the Guests, by installing agents inside the guests.
    You want DPM2 to backup the Hyper-V guests using host protection (installing DPM agent on the hyper-V Host)

Yes, you can do that but for the Guests that are running protected applications like SQL, exchange, you need to add this registry key so host level backups do not truncate application logs.  Inside each Guest add this registry setting.  Also be sure that the backups are scheduled for different times so vss shadow copy creations don't conflict.

Location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Virtualization\VssRequestor
    Name: BackupType
    Type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 0 or 1

If this registry entry is created and its value is set to 1 , application backup will not be affected by the virtual machine backup operation on the server that is running Hyper-V. If this registry entry does not exist, or if its value is 0 , issue 3 occurs.

More information about this is found in this QFE:

975354  A Hyper-V update rollup is available for Windows Server 2008 R2
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;975354

• Marked as answer by Ivan Polk Wednesday, November 7, 2012 11:25 PM
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 11:10 PM
  • Thanks Mike,

That's the information I was looking for.  I'm "marking as answer"

I appreciate your help,

Ivan

Ivan

Wednesday, November 7, 2012 11:25 PM