Sharepoint Create Folders and Archive Docs RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I am newbie to SharePoint and finding it kind of hard to get my mind around all of the different options and if it actually suits what we believe we are trying to achieve.

One of the things we would like to achieve is to remove a lot of the needless paper from our office, i work for a transport company and every truck that comes in we create manila folder and write the load number on it and supplier it relates to, we print off all emails and all delivery documents that relate to that manifest and store them beside the desk until we come to doing the invoicing, we take them out then start invoicing, we then store the folders in a file room for a just in case reason...

I believe SharePoint should be able to assist us in sorting this out, what i would like to know is what is the best way to approach this issue in SharePoint??

Can i have a folder auto created each month (Month Name) and get the users to make new sub folders for the load number and save there documents in this sub folder, how can this be searchable?

Can I Archive Folders that are older than 3 months and delete Folders that are older than 12?.

Thanks in advance for all replies

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, December 31, 2010 6:52 PM (newbie) has no place in a Title which is for a problem description.
    Friday, December 31, 2010 5:15 PM

Answers

• I think SharePoint is almost perfect for you. There's still a bit more manual work than you'd like, but you can create a custom solution if you get a SharePoint developer.

You can manually create the folders inside a document library, not automatically.
    You can use subfolders if you need to. Or, you can use metadata and content types.

If you must use a folder (because of security usually), I'd create a new content type called LoadFolder or InvoiceFolder. It would inherit from folder. With that, you can add required fields to your folder, such as load number. Another attribute field would be status - active, archive, inactive/delete/something.  Personally, I'd reconsider the delete after 12 months - you may want to keep it longer with a good system in place.

If you don't necessarily need a folder, try to use metadata to associate your records together without grouping into folders.

I'd also create another content type called LoadDocument (or perhaps a few content types - not a lot, just a few, 1 if possible - keep it simple). This new content type could have it's own metadata structure.

Next, your document library would have mutliple views. The default view would filter out folders that are not active.

You can use metadata/views to navigate/locate documents. But as you asked, yes, you can surely use search as well.

SharePoint Solution Architect, Developer
    • Edited by MossDev Saturday, January 1, 2011 2:13 PM clarification
    • Marked as answer by Aaron Han - MSFT Friday, January 7, 2011 6:21 AM
    Saturday, January 1, 2011 2:11 PM
  • Hi jaywalsh,

Yes, these requirements could be achieved by SharePoint.

If SharePoint enabled in-coming email, this can be done easily.

Add an incoming email address to a list/document library and select Save all attachments in folders. You only need to send an email, with truck information in the email subject. A folder can be created in the list with the name of the email subject. And all the attachment sending by the email would store in the folder.

You can also define a policy and enable expiration. The list item would be deleted base on your set.

PS: create a workflow attach on the truck information list can also be used here. Workflow can be used to create an item automatically. If you had created a folder content type that MOSSDev advised. A folder can also be created automatically.

Hope this can help.

Best regards. Emir
    Monday, January 3, 2011 8:11 AM

All replies

• I think SharePoint is almost perfect for you. There's still a bit more manual work than you'd like, but you can create a custom solution if you get a SharePoint developer.

You can manually create the folders inside a document library, not automatically.
    You can use subfolders if you need to. Or, you can use metadata and content types.

If you must use a folder (because of security usually), I'd create a new content type called LoadFolder or InvoiceFolder. It would inherit from folder. With that, you can add required fields to your folder, such as load number. Another attribute field would be status - active, archive, inactive/delete/something.  Personally, I'd reconsider the delete after 12 months - you may want to keep it longer with a good system in place.

If you don't necessarily need a folder, try to use metadata to associate your records together without grouping into folders.

I'd also create another content type called LoadDocument (or perhaps a few content types - not a lot, just a few, 1 if possible - keep it simple). This new content type could have it's own metadata structure.

Next, your document library would have mutliple views. The default view would filter out folders that are not active.

You can use metadata/views to navigate/locate documents. But as you asked, yes, you can surely use search as well.

• Edited by MossDev Saturday, January 1, 2011 2:13 PM clarification
    • Marked as answer by Aaron Han - MSFT Friday, January 7, 2011 6:21 AM
    Saturday, January 1, 2011 2:11 PM
  • Hi jaywalsh,

Yes, these requirements could be achieved by SharePoint.

If SharePoint enabled in-coming email, this can be done easily.

Add an incoming email address to a list/document library and select Save all attachments in folders. You only need to send an email, with truck information in the email subject. A folder can be created in the list with the name of the email subject. And all the attachment sending by the email would store in the folder.

You can also define a policy and enable expiration. The list item would be deleted base on your set.

PS: create a workflow attach on the truck information list can also be used here. Workflow can be used to create an item automatically. If you had created a folder content type that MOSSDev advised. A folder can also be created automatically.

Hope this can help.

Best regards. Emir
    Monday, January 3, 2011 8:11 AM
  • Thanks for the replies,

This is a great help, I have spent the last two days trying to get my structure correct and understading how to use the Content Types and Metadata rather than trying to learn everything at once, so i genuinly feel im making progress.

I am going to try give the incoming email ago tonight

Cheers

• Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Monday, January 3, 2011 5:36 PM SharePoint Foundation question removed. This is a pre-2010 forum. Post SPF questions to a SP 2010 forum
    Monday, January 3, 2011 4:15 PM
  • Jay -

Is there anything more we can do for you at this time? If not, would you mind marking the post as answered?

Thanks!

Monday, January 3, 2011 7:18 PM
  • > If not, would you mind marking the post as answered?

My job actually, not your's.

I'll let you off this time as there are two posts he could choose between to mark as answer, but I don't otherwise approve of forum posts asking for "my" post to be marked as answered.

Here I saw his post earlier and wondered if it was saying his question had been answered or not. The "I'm going to try" decided me in favour of leaving it be in the hope that he'll come back after he's "tried it" and mark a post.

(Moderator)

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Monday, January 3, 2011 8:33 PM