I loose my printer port every time I reboot. RRS feed

• Question

• I can't believe it!!   

Every time I restart Windows (or after manually restart SPOOLER service) I loose the printer port of a "local printer" mapped to "\\192.168.0.200\hp-printer" where 192.168.0.200 is the IP of another PC at my network who has a LaserJet printer connected via USB and shared as "hp-printer".

Both computers are configured as "PRIVATE NETWORK" and share resources with passsword protection (i.e. we need to use credentials of a valid user and password to access the shares at 192.168.0.200)

Thanks !

Gerardo

Gerardo Ponce / MdP / Argentina

Monday, June 15, 2020 1:11 AM

All replies

• HI
    please check my step 9 and step10.thanks
    9“I could reproduce the error as you asked: I stopped the spooler service and restarted and my port has dissapear and I cant add again because system says "Port is already present" ”
    if we download and install "HP print and scan doctor for windows pc" on pc2(win10 eduction1909),will it detect the issue ?
    https://support.hp.com/us-en/topic/diagnostics?category=printing&issue=printer-windows-10-update

10."After an update from Microsoft Automatic Update about three weeks ago, we are experiencing problems with users where the printer is accesed thru the network"
    when we suspect windows update cause this issue ,if we uninstall and not install below KB patches on both pc1 and pc2/pc3 and restart computers, will the same happen on pc2/pc3?
    KB4550945
    KB4556799
    KB4549951
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4556799/windows-10-update-kb4556799
    Is it possible we create a new vm with win10 education(1909) and don't any install update patches then add pc1 shared printer to this vm ,will the same issue happen this test new vm?
    (we need to find a normal computer so that we can compare the difference between normal computer and issue computer)

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 15, 2020 9:41 AM
  • did this only happen after the recent Windows updates?
    there are known printer problems with 
     KB4557957 for 2004,  KB4560960 for 1903,1909.

After installing this update, certain printers might fail to print. The print spooler might throw an error or close unexpectedly when attempting to print, and no output will come from the affected printer.

You might also encounter issues with the apps you are attempting to print from. You might receive an error from the app or the app might close unexpectedly.

Note This issue might also affect software-based printers, for example printing to PDF.
    Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update when more information is available.
    Monday, June 15, 2020 12:23 PM
  • HI
    11.we need to enable below log first ,when the problem happened ,are there any event log in below location on issue win10pro?
    event viewer\windows logs\
    application
    system

event viewer\windows logs\applications and services logs\microsoft\windows\printservice
    admin enable
    operational enable
    event viewer\windows logs\applications and services logs\microsoft\windows
    smb client

we can check below log on win10 pro shared printer computer

event viewer\windows logs\applications and services logs\microsoft\windows
    smb server

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 15, 2020 2:47 PM
  • HI
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Tuesday, July 7, 2020 3:26 PM