Ribbon stuck at loading, but only behind ISA RRS feed

• Question

• I've read through a number of threads on the ribbon not loading, but nothing seems to address what I've run in to.  I may also need to ask this on some ISA forums but I'll start here in case I've missed something.  I'm fairly green when it comes to ISA and SharePoint so forgive me if I missed some helpful information.

Symptoms: When I access SharePoint via the internet (through our ISA server) any tab that I click on leaves the ribbon stuck at loading.  I can also not click the other tabs once it's stuck there.  I am able to click other links on the pages or site actions to browse away, but any attempt to click a ribbon tab sticks it at loading again.  This does not happen when accessing the same sites via the intranet.  Once I VPN in through a public system, the ribbon loads fine.  And even after I disconnect from the VPN the ribbon continues to load.  If I clear my browser cache and attempt to click a tab from the internet, the ribbon stops loading again.  so it seems as if there is a resource caching once I am on the intranet that I can't get through the ISA server.  But I can't figure out what that resource is or what is stopping it.

Environment: Currently our extranet web application is configured for port 80.  From the internet, we access the site via SSL through ISA 2006 (I don't believe we're running SP1).  I inherited this configuration so I'm thinking we should just change the extranet web application to be on port 443 so it's consistent internally and externally.  But I don't know if that would have anything to do with these issues.

Most of the other threads seem to suggest something within SharePoint needing to be changed for the ribbon to work.  But in our environment the ribbon always works until you access sharepoint from the internet through ISA.  But if we connect to the intranet, something gets cached that makes it work.  I need this to work without bringing people onto the intranet, since that entirely defeats the purpose of having an extranet.

Any input would be appreciated.

EDIT: I've also found that when externally connecting to SharePoint other things don't work.  If I open the Team Calendar, no events appear.  I created a number of events under the same account via the intranet and verified they are visible while within the network.  Additionally if I click the "Calendar" button at the top of that page (the one in the title bar, not the ribbon tab) to change view, nothing happens.  It does not pop up a menu of different views like when I click it as I'm connected to the intranet.

Monday, January 9, 2012 6:23 PM

Answers

• After much research and being escalated to a new tech, the new tech said he found out this was a known issue with some of the built in templates through the wizard in ISA 2006.  We created new rules using the Outlook Web Access template I think instead of SharePoint or standard Web template and it worked like a champ.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 3:24 PM

All replies

• I have found some reference to ensuring Compression Filtering is enabeld in ISA and that is on as well.  I'm hitting a wall on this one.
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 6:35 PM
  • I'm experiencing the same exact issues. Any luck on this?
    Thursday, April 5, 2012 4:50 PM
  • We are having the same issue as well, we are using TMG 2010.

My laptop inside our network it works fine, but when I take it outside and use our VPN the ribbon get's stuck on loading. I believe I have the latest update installed as well...

Wednesday, June 27, 2012 2:44 PM
  • After much research and being escalated to a new tech, the new tech said he found out this was a known issue with some of the built in templates through the wizard in ISA 2006.  We created new rules using the Outlook Web Access template I think instead of SharePoint or standard Web template and it worked like a champ.
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 3:24 PM