Use powershell on windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello ,

I come back to you for a question.

I use powershell v2.0 under windows 7 and the majority of commands needed for my script to work are on powershell v.4 and up.

I thought to make an update (if it does not take a lot of time and if it is possible) or to import modules to download if it is possible.

I wanted to know what is the solution to have these cmdlets powershell v2.0?
    • Edited by jrv Thursday, March 7, 2019 2:53 PM bad inclusion
    Thursday, March 7, 2019 2:45 PM

All replies

• PowerShell 2 is no longer supported.  Most module will not work on PS2.  Windows 7 will be discontinued soon (November).  You need to upgrade.

You can install WMF 5.1 and have most new features.

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, March 7, 2019 2:52 PM
  • You can also install PowerShell 6:

Link: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/scripting/install/installing-powershell-core-on-windows?view=powershell-6

https://github.com/PowerShell/PowerShell - scroll half-way down the page for the download links for your platform. 

Cheers,

John

Windows Systems Engineer

GitHub

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Thursday, March 7, 2019 4:30 PM
  • I do not recommend PS6.  It is not yet ready to be used as a Windows administration tool.  The recent release brings the core plus the extensions closer to full usability and it can load many modules but there are still many missing pieces.  Also nearly all documentation is tuned to Windows PowerShell and not PowerShell Core (6).

I recommend WMF 5.1 but PS 6.1 can be installed side-by-side with WMF 5.1.  It may not be a good idea for those trying to learn the current version of PowerShell.

If things keep going then the PS 6 should be ready by the end of this year.

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, March 7, 2019 4:52 PM
  •  Hi,

Was your issue resolved?

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.

If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Best Regards,

Lee

Just do it.

Monday, March 11, 2019 5:57 AM