Trying to Install/upgrade 64 bit Ultima on 64 bit home premium RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an Acer Aspire 6530.  It came with Vista home premium 64 bit installed.  I'm using the MSDN Vista DVD to upgrade to Vista 64 bit Ultima.  The installation stops and tells me that It can't install a 64 bit OS over a 32 bit OS.  For some reason the installer thinks my current OS is 32 bit.  I checked the Computer properties and it says that the system type is 64 bit.  Any suggestions.  One point, When the installer successfully reads my License it gives me a list box choice to install the 32 bit Ultima or the 64 bit Ultima.  I of course select the 64 bit Ultima.  Perhaps the installer is not properly reading the list box?

Thanks.

- Neil Shore

Neil Shore
    Friday, January 23, 2009 5:08 AM

Answers

• Hello Neil,
    Check for a separate download of Windows Ultimate 64-bit from the MSDN site.
    You cannot upgrade a 64-bit version of Windows to another 64-bit version of Windows using the that media.
    If the media contains both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows, setup is a 32-bit version.
    This limits the ability to upgrade since the 32-bit setup cannot upgrade the underlying 64-bit OS.

When you boot to the DVD, you are booting into a 32-bit version of WinPE, so setup has to be the 32-bit version.
    You can boot to the DVD and do a clean installation, but it will not allow you to upgrade.
    Thanks, Darrell Gorter[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    • Marked as answer by ShoreNuff Monday, October 12, 2009 11:29 PM
    Monday, March 30, 2009 8:00 PM
  • Hello Neil,
    You will not be able to upgrade 64-bit Windows with that media.  To be able to upgrade you will need a DVD with only 64-bit version of Windows Vista on it.  It's a limitation when both platforms are on the same media.
    Thanks, Darrell Gorter[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 5:33 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Neil,

I do not have a MSDN disk at hand so I cannot test it for you.

When you are prompted to choose to install Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit or 64bit, choose 32bit to test the result. Normally, if you are running Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit, you will be unable to upgrade to Ultimate 32bit. If Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit is installed successfully, it indicates you current system is Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit.

If the issue persists, please let me know the exact wording of the error message when upgrading to Windows Vista 64bit.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, January 26, 2009 4:16 AM
  • Hello,

There is some media like MSDN and Action Pack Media that ship with both 32-bit and 64-bit in the same DVD.

They can do this because the 32-bit version of setup.exe can setup either 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows.

There are some limitations however and one of them is that it cannot do an upgrade of 64-bit with the 32-bit setup.exe, it would require the 64-bit setup.exe. 

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 1:53 AM
  • Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure I want to do what you suggested.  I'm not sure what will happen if I have 32 bit and 32 bit tires to reinstall or if my 64 bit is overwritten by a 32 bit version.

Is there a way to post an image?  I want to show you a screen shot of my Computer properties screen which says that I am running at 64 bit OS.  I'll retry upgrading to 64 bit Ultima and get a screen shot of the error message.

- Neil Shore

Neil Shore
    Tuesday, January 27, 2009 4:31 AM
  •  

Hi Neil,

Thank you for the reply.

Normally, Windows 32bit will not install over Windows 64bit and Windows 64bit will not install over Windows 32bit.

I have created a FTP site and you can upload the files to me from the following site:

https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=c450a92a-2a39-4676-8642-c9613991afa2

Password: f$^6vIa3%

Please also send me the System Information:

1. Press Start, type in msinfo32 in the Start Search bar and then press Enter.

2. Choose Save from the File menu and save it as an NFO file.

3. Find the file, right-click on this file, click "Send To", and click "Compressed (zipped) Folder".

4. Send the compressed file to me.

I am looking forward to receiving the files.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 3:14 AM
  • Tim,

I've sent you three files to the ftp site you sent to me.
    1. The msinfo32 information file that you requested.
    2. A screen shot of the listbox selection of which version of Vista Ultimate to upgrade.
    3. A screen shot of the Upgrade disabled message box for selection the type of upgrade.

Please let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks for your replies and help.

- Neil Shore
    Neil Shore
    Monday, February 2, 2009 5:02 AM
  •  

Hi Neil,

I have received the files from you. Thank you for the effort.

From the files, I noticed you are running Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit Service Pack 1.

As I do not have a MSDN installation disk, I cannot make a test for you.

Now I would like to know if Service Pack 1 is included in this MSDN disk. If not, you need to remove Service Pack 1 on your system first.

You may need to contact MSDN where you obtained the disk directly for more information.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Monday, February 2, 2009 5:37 AM
  • Hi Tim,

The DVD (MSDN Disk 4455.01) has the following title:

Windows Vista (r) with Service Pack 1
          (x64 and X86)
    Windows Vista (r) Service Pack 1 Update
         (DVD-5 OS) (Multilanguage)

It is the first item on the list that runs when I insert the DVD.

Regards,

- Neil

Neil Shore
    Tuesday, February 3, 2009 4:35 AM
  • Tim,
    I sent you a response to these questions over a month ago,  Feb 3.  Did you receive it?

-  Shorenuff

Neil Shore
    Monday, March 30, 2009 3:02 AM
  • Hello Neil,
    Check for a separate download of Windows Ultimate 64-bit from the MSDN site.
    You cannot upgrade a 64-bit version of Windows to another 64-bit version of Windows using the that media.
    If the media contains both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows, setup is a 32-bit version.
    This limits the ability to upgrade since the 32-bit setup cannot upgrade the underlying 64-bit OS.

When you boot to the DVD, you are booting into a 32-bit version of WinPE, so setup has to be the 32-bit version.
    You can boot to the DVD and do a clean installation, but it will not allow you to upgrade.
    Monday, March 30, 2009 8:00 PM
  • Hello Darrell,

Thank you for your quick reply!  I will check for a 64 bit download only from MSDN.  However,  I did not boot to the DVD.  I booted to the hard drive, C:\, i.e., was running 64 bit Vista Home Premium, and then loaded the DVD into its drive.  It ran setup.exe and gave me a choice to install either a 32 bit version or a 64 bit verson.  I selected 64 bit.  I sent all the info about the install process to Tim.  See from the 5th post back to your post.

- Neil Shore
    Neil Shore
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 2:24 AM
  • Hello Neil,
    You will not be able to upgrade 64-bit Windows with that media.  To be able to upgrade you will need a DVD with only 64-bit version of Windows Vista on it.  It's a limitation when both platforms are on the same media.
    Tuesday, March 31, 2009 5:33 AM
  • Hello Darrell,

Thanks you for your answer.  I'll download the 64 bit install only and try it.  I'll let you know how it goes.
    Thanks again.

Neil Shore
    Friday, April 3, 2009 2:14 AM
  • Thanks to Neil for this thread and Darrell for explaining this conundrum.  I spent most of a day trying to figure this out before I found this.

It makes me wonder why Microsoft puts the x64 and x32 installs together on the same DVD.

Anyway, thanks for getting me out of the woods on this one.

One additional observation...the installation prevented me from upgrading from Vista Home Premium x64 SP 1 to Vista Business x64....I had to find Vista Business x64 with SP1 in order for the upgrade to work.

Matthew
    Friday, September 4, 2009 9:23 PM
  • I also have been trying several times to upgrade my Windows Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultimate.
    I purchased the disk from microsoft anytime upgrade.

This is what I have done.
    For this Anytime Upgrade from Home Premium to Ultimate --
    Go to Control Panel > Programs and Features.
    On the left side,  click on "Turn Windows features on and off."
    Turn off these three things:
    Microsoft.NET Framework 3.0
    Remote Differential Compression
    Windows DFS Replication Service
     from msconfig, uncheck "load startup items" and check "Hide all icrosoft services."
    (You can turn all this stuff back on, if need be, once Vista Ultimate is installed.)

I uninstalled my Vipre Anti-Virus and Hamachi VPN

I of course had made an image of my C drive on an external USB Drive

I have a Toshiba A505-S6979
    with 4 gigs ram,  64 Bit Vista Home premium with SP2 installed and office 2007

64 Gig SSD C drive and 80Gig SSD D drive

I have completed this full routine several times and still get

Windows could not parse or process the settings in
    the answer file for pass [specialize]

The settings specified in the answer file can not be applied.
    The error was detected while processing settings for
    component [microsoft-windows-deployment]

I thought that something else was wrong (evidently) so I ran the SFC /scannow
    and it only had a couple of errors regarding the sidebar and something about a settings.ini
    file.

I am at a loss for what is going on.

Does anyone have any idea?

Rich
    Saturday, September 19, 2009 2:14 PM
  •  Darrell,

Sorry to get back to you after such a long time.  My life has been quite a story for the past couple of months.  Never the less, I thought I ought to tell you that your suggestion resolved my issue.  Using only the 64 bit version install, I was able to successfully upgrade to vista Ultimate 64 bit.

- Neil Shore

Neil Shore
    Monday, October 12, 2009 11:34 PM