Management can not go through right click on Computer II RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have read around the internet that people are having problems getting into the Computer Management console using the rightclick on Computer - Manage option. I am having trouble with this as well and before I change the reg key so that is uses the actual MSC file I was hoping someone could look at my Process Monitor log file to maybe determine why it is happening on my installation.

http://files.myopera.com/JPStewart444/files/Logfile.zip

I have tried the ShellExView and clean boot but all to no avail. In addition to merging reg keys etc.

Thanks for any assistance.

Jamie
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 6:04 PM

Answers

All replies

• I think that AbsoluteShield FileShredder (http://www.sys-shield.com/fileshredder.htm) context menu handler is causing your problem.
    Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience
    • Marked as answer by stewaj02 Sunday, November 8, 2009 7:41 PM
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 7:24 PM
    Answerer
  • Wow, correct answer Daniel. Thanks for solving the mystery that has been annoying me all day. How did you work it out?

Thanks
    Jamie
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 7:41 PM
  • You're welcome!

I first looked through all shell extensions that were loaded into CompMgmtLauncher.exe address space right before the process is exiting. One of them is almost always the culprit of this kind of problems. Next, I installed (in a virtual machine) the applications that include that shell extensions until I managed to reproduce the problem (trial and error).
    Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience
    Sunday, November 8, 2009 8:38 PM
    Answerer
  • I had a "Shred and Burn" entry in my context menu that was added by an application "Instant Lock". This was a carryover from two upgrades ago (Windows XP Pro) and I was experiencing the same problem as stewaj02. In addition my "Select another backup to restore files from" link did not work when I launched the backup utility. Both items were fixed when I uninstalled this app. (Who knows how many other links or context menu items this were impacted). I was close to restoring my Windows 7 Ultimate to get rid of this frustration. Thanks for the tip!
    Friday, November 27, 2009 11:55 PM