none
Setting up Shared Library Fails to execute.

Question

• I have 3 DPM servers and one Dell ML6000 Tape Library.  Attempting to set up a shared library between them with DPM-2 as the Library server.  I have set up the SQL Server and Server Agent with a domain account.  I have enabled Named Pipes, and verified that Medium Changer devices is not enabled on the client DPM.  The problem is that the client will not execute the Client SQL Server or the Client DPM Server configuration after seemingly successfully configuring the Global SQL config.

On the client:

AddLibraryServerForDpm.exe -DPMServerWithLibrary dpm-2.hcpss.org
    Configuration successful.

On the server:

AddLibraryServerForDpm.exe -ShareLibraryWithDpm dpm-3.hcpss.org
    Configuration successful.

On the client:

SetSharedDpmDatabase.exe -DatabaseName DPM-2\MSDPM2012\DPMDB

Enter administrator credential for Global SQL Server (DPM-2)
    Domain:hcpss
    Username:dpmlibsa
    Password:*******

(DPM-2) : Global SQL Server configuration Successful.
    Failed to execute SharedLibraryConfigureDb.sql on DPM-3\MSDPM2012

I have attempted to remove the Library sharing from both the server and client, and add it back, with the same results.

Monday, August 27, 2012 4:17 PM

Answers

• The issue I had turned out to be that the AD credentials I used for the SQL server were not part of the local admin group. 
    • Marked as answer by cbrun Friday, November 30, 2012 5:59 PM
    Friday, November 30, 2012 5:59 PM

All replies

• I'm having the same issue. Two DPM 2012 servers, trying to share a Dell TL4000 library. I'm getting the same Failed to execute SharedLibraryConfigureDb.sql error. I have an open ticket with Microsoft tech support, and it's been escalated. If the command SetSharedDpmDatabase -DatabaseName <SqlServer\Instance\DatabaseName> [-DoNotMoveData] is run with the -DoNotMoveData option then the command is successful, but the library still doesn't show up correctly on the DPM client. With the changer disabled and the tape drives enabled on the DPM client, the tape drives show up as two separate libraries, which is incorrect. It sees those locally as the library is attached via iSCSI and both the library server and library client can see the TL4000.
    Tuesday, August 28, 2012 3:37 PM
  • The issue I had turned out to be that the AD credentials I used for the SQL server were not part of the local admin group. 
    • Marked as answer by cbrun Friday, November 30, 2012 5:59 PM
    Friday, November 30, 2012 5:59 PM
  • Chartmann8, did you ever figure out what the problem was?

I am facing exacly the same problem. :(

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 10:56 PM
  • The issue is fixed in DPM 2012 R2 UR5 

http://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3021791 

• Proposed as answer by Manu Jeewani1 Thursday, April 2, 2015 3:00 AM
    Thursday, April 2, 2015 2:51 AM
  • Hi,

I set up two new DPM 2016 (version 1801) servers. Everything is running fine but the shared library feature. Each DPM server has its own local database running with an AD account that has administrative privileges on both systems. I followed all guides and troubleshooting advises that I could find on the internet but nothing works :-(

I have issues with the "SetSharedDpmDatabase -InstanceName" command.

In case I try to use the Instance name that is displayed in the "about" section of the library server (DE-SM-HV4\DPMDB_DE_SM_HV4) I got the error: Invalid arguments. As the tool seems to expect an instance name as well, I added it and tried again: "SetSharedDpmDatabase -InstanceName "DE-SM-HV4\MSSQLSERVER\DPMDB_DE_SM_HV4". This time I got further and where asked to provide credentials twice:

Enter administrator credential for Global SQL Server (DE-SM-HV4)

Enter administrator credential for Client SQL Server (localhost)

Two cmd windows pop up and disappear and then I get this error message:

Failed to execute GrantGlobalDbAccess.sql on DE-SM-HV4

I tried hundreds of workarounds for days and hours now and checked the configuration again and again, but I can't get this to work :-(

Would be great if somebody can give me a hint what to try next.

Many thanks in advance

Monday, June 25, 2018 10:41 AM
  • Hi Markus, 

Did you find a solution to this problem ? 
    If so, can you share your solution. :O) 

Thanks !

• Edited by Eric Bedard Tuesday, February 12, 2019 12:55 AM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2019 12:54 AM