none
Event Viewer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi i use event viewer a lot for my pc and work.  i solve pc errors and i was wondering if u can delete only a specific log from it.

For example i want to delete the 4624(LogOn) from the whole Security. Is it possible?

Friday, June 16, 2017 3:37 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Microsoft purposely prevents you from doing this. The whole concept of the Event Viewer is to present to you certain events that may require your attention. If one could go in and delete any old random event, then the system could in a sense be compromised without you knowing, therefor making it unsafe. If you are having an event logged that is and error....find out what is causing the problem and fix it. You don't want to patch a hole in a dam by sticking a wad gum in the hole. If something is logging informational or caution events too much, then many times the event log source has some setting that indicates how often or to what level of logging to configure for an application. And that is where you go to minimize the logging, not by doing surgery on the event log.

Thanks for your understanding.

Similar question for your reference:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5931d520-7f13-44ac-ac06-dffa1e8c9742/clear-an-event-log-with-specific-id-using-powershell?forum=winserverpowershell

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by -Mr Happy- Monday, June 19, 2017 6:59 PM
    Monday, June 19, 2017 5:32 AM
    Owner