none
Can No Longer Edit Wiki Articles in the Edge Browser RRS feed

• General discussion

• It is no longer possible for me to edit a TechNet Wiki article in the Edge browser. I was able to edit several articles yesterday, so something seems to have changed. I am using a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 running Windows 10 Pro Version 1803 (OS Version 10.0.17134). Microsoft Edge 42.17134.1.0, Microsoft EdgeHTML 17.17134. I logon to the Surface tablet with my Microsoft account (MSA), the same as I have for several years.

When I click signin, I appear to authenticate with my MSA, as usual. But the web address (url) in the address box now has the string "Not secure" before the "https://", and the url ends with "?wsignin1.0". The string "Not secure" is not part of the url. In the past when I saw the "?wsignin1.0", I could remove it from the url (it caused errors if I returned to the page) and I would stay authenticated. Now if I remove the "?wsigin1.0" I am signed out. The string "Not secure" remains. But when I signin and click the button to "Edit", things blink a few times, then I get the message:

"Something went wrong and we can't sign you in right now. Please try again later. The Microsoft account login server has detected too many repeated authentication attempts. Please wait a moment and try again."

When I return to the article from this message, I am no longer authenticated.

I am still able to edit Wiki articles in IE 11, although some strange things happen there. For example, all code blocks lose their formatting, even though I did not touch the code. I also can still edit Wiki articles in IE 9 on a Windows 7 laptop, which I keep because it is the only browser that does not have the bugs all other browsers seem to have. And it is the only browser that has a functioning Find and Replace button in the HTML editor of Wiki articles, which I use often.

I have no problem authenticating in the MSDN/TechNet forums, the TechNet Gallery, or the Microsoft blogs. When I signin to the forums, I see the string "?wsigin1.0" briefly in the url, but it disappears. When I signin I am never prompted for username or password. It just authenticates with my MSA. When I signin on one page, I am authenticated everywhere, except the Wiki.

For about the last week (since I was upgraded to Windows 10 Version 1803), when I signed into the Wiki, I was automatically signed out after a few minutes. If a Wiki edit took too long, I could not save. Now I never stay signed in.

Richard Mueller - MVP Enterprise Mobility (Identity and Access)

Tuesday, August 7, 2018 7:05 PM

All replies

• Update: I can edit Wiki's in IE, but for the second time code blocks got messed up. In particular, the scroll bars were lost. Some lines of code were cut off. I had to revert.

At present, I cannot edit any articles in Edge, and I dare not edit in IE 11.

Edit: I am able to edit a Wiki in Firefox without messing up the code. Scroll bars remain.

Edit: I emailed fissues about this August 7. They replied that Engineering is looking into it.

Tuesday, August 7, 2018 8:19 PM
  • I just was able to edit a Wiki in Edge. Maybe something was corrected/changed.

Thursday, August 9, 2018 1:52 AM
  • I have been able to edit Wiki's in Edge today. But I frequently get signed out. I need to edit quickly or I will be signed out before I click Save.

Thursday, August 9, 2018 3:11 PM