none
How could I recover MIIS administrator account ? RRS feed

• Question

• I heard we lost  MIIS administrator account (I think account to restore encrpted data).

How could I recover MIIS administrator account ?

Monday, March 18, 2013 8:22 AM

Answers

• What do you mean MIIS administrator?

The user you use to open "Synchronization Service Manager" console? If so, just add another user to FIMSyncAdmins/MIISAdmins group and you'd be able to enter Synchronization Service Manager.

If you refer to the account on which MIISService is running, you can change this account by running installation once again and choose "change" mode. If you're doing it on the same machine that MIIS has been running before, that's all you need. But make sure that you have .bin encryption key to the database. It is needed when you move synchronization engine to the other host.

Keep trying

• Proposed as answer by Dominik Trojnar Monday, March 18, 2013 9:19 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by yuuichiro99 Tuesday, March 19, 2013 7:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by yuuichiro99 Thursday, April 18, 2013 12:16 PM
    Monday, March 18, 2013 9:19 AM

All replies

• What do you mean MIIS administrator?

The user you use to open "Synchronization Service Manager" console? If so, just add another user to FIMSyncAdmins/MIISAdmins group and you'd be able to enter Synchronization Service Manager.

If you refer to the account on which MIISService is running, you can change this account by running installation once again and choose "change" mode. If you're doing it on the same machine that MIIS has been running before, that's all you need. But make sure that you have .bin encryption key to the database. It is needed when you move synchronization engine to the other host.

Keep trying

• Proposed as answer by Dominik Trojnar Monday, March 18, 2013 9:19 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by yuuichiro99 Tuesday, March 19, 2013 7:02 AM
    • Marked as answer by yuuichiro99 Thursday, April 18, 2013 12:16 PM
    Monday, March 18, 2013 9:19 AM
  • It's not really an installation - you run installator, but in "change" mode - so all you would do is reconfigure service account.

Keep trying

Monday, March 18, 2013 2:37 PM
  • Just run setup again on your MIIS computer.

If you setup again on the computer where MIIS is already installed, it will
    automatically run in maintenance mode.

As far I remember, this topic is in help.

Keep trying

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 8:17 AM
  • No, you don't need service account password when you restore database to the same server.
    If you would install MIIS at new server - then it would be needed.

Keep trying

Sunday, April 7, 2013 12:46 PM
  • Hi,

As I understand, you plan to upgrade MIIS to FIM, right? So it would be needed to change service account's password to export .bin key of the database - you won't success without this key. (http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4268.fim-reference-migrate-from-miis-or-ilm-to-fim-2010.aspx)

The only way you can move this configuration to FIM without knowing password / having .bin file is to export full server configuration and import it to "clean" FIM, but your metaverse would be empty and you would need to make sure that it works at it should. If you have custom extensions, you would also need to rebuild them for FIM.

Keep trying

Friday, April 12, 2013 12:32 PM