Enabling Ports in Windows XP - Port 8081 for EPO RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem with deploying some pc's McAfee antivirus from EPO server which is running on W2K3. The pc's is running windows xp sp3 and getting IP's from DHCP. It's really important because no matter what I do I still can't deploy them.

After trying to figure out the problem I found that EPO McAfee is using some ports to communicate with Agents like 8081, 8080, 80, 8443, 8444. I tried to telnet those pc's as below:

e.g : telnet "PC IP" 8081

result

Connecting To "PC IP"..Could not open connection to the host, on port 8081

1: Connect failed

and the same result for all ports.

Please note the firewall in windows xp is off and I've added all ports to the exceptions.

We have many security updates installed in windows xp sp3, and I think it's the one who is preventing us from using these ports.

Monday, February 17, 2014 11:49 AM

Answers

• You can also use TCPView : http://arnavsharma.net/3/post/2014/02/using-tcpview-in-windows-7.html

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, February 22, 2014 5:39 PM
  • You cant force the system to do it. If some application is installed, and configured on the specific port then only you'll be able to telnet.

To check the port used by McAfee, open TCPView and check the port no. against the PID for McAfee.

<b>Arnav Sharma</b> | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sunday, February 23, 2014 3:28 PM

All replies

• Do we have an external firewall? Between client and server..

Arnav Sharma | Facebook | Twitter Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Monday, February 17, 2014 3:16 PM
  • no don't have external firewall. The problem as i said above is from Microsoft security updates. All other pc's doesn't have this problem except the one's with security updates.
    Tuesday, February 18, 2014 9:20 AM
  • Tried creation an exception rule on Windows Firewall?

And any specific update?

Wednesday, February 19, 2014 10:49 AM
  • Yes, I have tried the exceptions, it didn't work.

I have all the security updates from Microsoft (all of them).

Saturday, February 22, 2014 10:53 AM
  • One more thing, you wont be able to telnet when the target client is not listening on the port.

Ie. if client is not listening on 8081, you wont be able to telnet. Check using netstat -ano command to check if the system is listening on this port.

Saturday, February 22, 2014 5:38 PM
  • You can also use TCPView : http://arnavsharma.net/3/post/2014/02/using-tcpview-in-windows-7.html

Saturday, February 22, 2014 5:39 PM
  • My PC is not listening to port 8081, what can I do to make that happen? Noting that exception, add ports in firewall didn't work.
    Sunday, February 23, 2014 12:32 PM
  • You cant force the system to do it. If some application is installed, and configured on the specific port then only you'll be able to telnet.

To check the port used by McAfee, open TCPView and check the port no. against the PID for McAfee.

<b>Arnav Sharma</b> | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Sunday, February 23, 2014 3:28 PM
  • Any success on this?

Arnav Sharma | http://arnavsharma.net/ Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Saturday, March 1, 2014 5:04 PM