none
System State and Bare Metal Recovery Failing! RRS feed

• Question

• I have Microsoft DPM 2010 configured and everything is backing up fine except the system state and bare metal recovery on five host servers. Now, these host servers are have bare minimum operating systems. When you log in, they only provide a command shell and that's it, no GUI. So, I am thinking that its simply not supported. The VM's on them back up fine, just not the system state and bare metal. I tried increasing the disk amount(Disk Allocation) on each one, because I heard 30G is given by default, but I still get the error. Also, since they are bare minimum OS's, I can't install windows Windows Server Backup. So, I am assuming I simply can't do Bare Metal and System State on these host servers?

Here is the exact error message via DPM 2010:

"DPM failed to create the backup. If you are backing up only System State, verify if there is enough free space on the protected computer to store the System State backup.  On protected computers running Windows Server2008, verify that Windows Server Backup (WSB) is installed and that it is not performing any other backup or recovery task. (ID 30214 Details: Internal error code: 0x809909FB)"

Thursday, July 12, 2012 9:11 PM

Answers

• I was able to fix the issue. After running wbadmin.exe start backup -allcritical -backuptarget:\\server\bmrshare I could see that it actually created an entire backup, 300GB on the separate shared drive. So, I went back into DPM and noticed i was protecting the C:\ as well as System State and Bare Metal on the same VM's which was unnecessary. So, I deleted the C:\ and freed up tons of space in DPM. Now, the Bare Metal and System State are working fine on my hosts. It was just a space issue on the drives, literally running out of room.

Thanks

Hi Adam,

Glad its all working for you now! Just to confirm: So installing Windows Server Backup on Server Core and clearing out hard drive space fixed the issue? Is that correct?

My Blog | www.buchatech.com | www.dpm2010.com
    If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 1:41 AM

All replies

• Hi Adam,

You can run Windows Server Backup on Server Core. Try installing WSB and then see if your DPM error clears up. Also make sure you have more then 30GB free on these servers.

Here are some links on how to install WSB on Server Core:

• http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dd673659.aspx
    • http://www.itechtalk.com/thread2131.html

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Helpful" vote. If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer". This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights! Always test ANY suggestion in a test environment before implementing!

Friday, July 13, 2012 2:46 AM
  • Thanks Buchatech really appreciate it. Yeah we kind of need these hosts backed up, since they hold so many of our important VM's for Hyper V. I will go ahead and give it a go, and let you know how it turns out. Each host has enough free space on the drive.

Appreciate the help,

Adam

Friday, July 13, 2012 1:49 PM
  • Thanks Buchatech really appreciate it. Yeah we kind of need these hosts backed up, since they hold so many of our important VM's for Hyper V. I will go ahead and give it a go, and let you know how it turns out. Each host has enough free space on the drive.

Appreciate the help,

Adam

Sounds good Adam. Let us know how it goes.

Saturday, July 14, 2012 4:36 PM
  • OK, so it seemed to work fine on Friday, but this morning when I checked DPM all the hosts are still failing for system state and bare metal (everything else is fine). It still gets the error (DPM is out of disk space for the replica. (ID 58 Details: Internal error code: 0x809909FF). I am running a test right now, and doing a backup using wbadmin on one of the hosts (wbadmin.exe start backup -allcritical -backuptarget:\\server\bmrshare) to see actually how big the backup is. It seems when I do this command, it's backing up the entire C drive. I am choosing a different shared drive, other then the ones DPM saves the backups to for the test. I will then go back into DPM for disk allocation, and make sure to allocate at least that much space for Bare Metal and System State.

One question I have, what is the difference between a Bare Metal and System State vs just a volume backup like C:\

When I check each host, it seems to have enough space, but that test is actually backing up the entire C drive, so maybe I do need bigger drives? None of the drives I am using have lower then 18% allocation left, and most have 32% left and above.

Thanks,

Adam

Monday, July 16, 2012 4:34 PM
  • I was able to fix the issue. After running wbadmin.exe start backup -allcritical -backuptarget:\\server\bmrshare I could see that it actually created an entire backup, 300GB on the separate shared drive. So, I went back into DPM and noticed i was protecting the C:\ as well as System State and Bare Metal on the same VM's which was unnecessary. So, I deleted the C:\ and freed up tons of space in DPM. Now, the Bare Metal and System State are working fine on my hosts. It was just a space issue on the drives, literally running out of room.

Thanks

Monday, July 16, 2012 7:15 PM

Thanks

Hi Adam,

Glad its all working for you now! Just to confirm: So installing Windows Server Backup on Server Core and clearing out hard drive space fixed the issue? Is that correct?

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 1:41 AM
  • That seemed to work, but now its failing again! It seems to be a space problem at this point! I ordered three new Lacie 3 TB drives. Do you know what the maximum capacity for total space that DPM will support?  I put in the three new 2 tb drives, to replace the three 1 tb drives and all are working except one. I have replaced  both power and data cables, did a rescan, and it will not recognize one of the new 2 tb drives. The kicker, i put the old 1 tb back in and it sees it! So, right now i am at a little over 10 tb of total space, so maybe DPM cannot see more then that, or that new drive is bad! I was hoping to go up to 12 tb, but that one drive is not being recognized.

Thanks

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 5:21 PM
  • DPM can support upto 80TB

Regards, Rajeev Narshana [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Thursday, November 8, 2012 9:37 PM