HDD constantly accessed RRS feed

• Question

• Recently the HDD access light on my PC is always lit. It used to only be lit when some background or foreground process, or service, was accessing it so at least half of the time the light was out. But now it's constantly on event when I have no windows open, no active applications running.

The system runs Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, has 2 HDDs, each with 1 volume. The CPU is a Pentium Dual-Core 2.60GHz with 4GB RAM. The CPU and Memory with nothing else open show almost no activity, same for Network. The Disk portion of the Resource Monitor shows the highest Read (B/sec) varying between the event log, group policy (it's on a domain), pagefile.sys, and ntuser.dat. The highest Write (B/sec) varies between pagefile.sys and the NTFS Volume Log. The highest Total (B/sec) varies between event logs, System32 folder, System Volume Information, and NTFS Volume Log.

I never paid attention to what those were when the HDD light used to be on just part of the time so I have no baseline to compare to what I see now.

I'm very careful where I go on the internet, I don't click on links or attachments that seem the least suspicious, and regularly run A/V and malware scans which are always negative. I've worked in IT for 16 years now and have never had a problem with an infection so I'm really doubting that an infection is making my HDD constantly be accessed.

Any ideas on what else to look for or how else to examine my system to try to find what is making the HDD on all the time now?

Jonathan

Wednesday, January 1, 2014 8:44 PM

Answers

• Looks like I fixed my own problem. I kept looking at that steady, non-blinking HDD light and it suddenly struck me that I've seen that before when a HDD cable is not on correctly. So I shut it down, pulled the cable from all attachment points, then plugged it back in. I turned on the system and after it finished booting and logging in, the light now just flickers a little during access, just like it's supposed to.

Thanks for trying to help, I would never have known about the xperf trace and I'm glad I now do.

Jonathan

• Marked as answer by WinSvrAdmin Thursday, January 2, 2014 10:39 PM
    Thursday, January 2, 2014 10:39 PM

All replies

• WSA

Please run an xperf trace.  Instructions are in this thread.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/2dcd0832-a11a-4e08-9a66-db97d7205c62/windows-8-on-new-pc-freezes-with-100-disc-and-low-readwrite?forum=w8itprogeneral

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag

Wednesday, January 1, 2014 9:05 PM
  • WSA

Please run an xperf trace.  Instructions are in this thread.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/2dcd0832-a11a-4e08-9a66-db97d7205c62/windows-8-on-new-pc-freezes-with-100-disc-and-low-readwrite?forum=w8itprogeneral

I ran the trace and examined the resulting .etl file but I don't see anything suspicious and I've never looked at one before so I don't know how it compares to when the HDD light wasn't constantly on.

Jonathan

Wednesday, January 1, 2014 10:11 PM
  • Looks like I fixed my own problem. I kept looking at that steady, non-blinking HDD light and it suddenly struck me that I've seen that before when a HDD cable is not on correctly. So I shut it down, pulled the cable from all attachment points, then plugged it back in. I turned on the system and after it finished booting and logging in, the light now just flickers a little during access, just like it's supposed to.

Thanks for trying to help, I would never have known about the xperf trace and I'm glad I now do.

Jonathan

• Marked as answer by WinSvrAdmin Thursday, January 2, 2014 10:39 PM
    Thursday, January 2, 2014 10:39 PM
  • Jonathan

Good job and thanks for letting us know.

Friday, January 3, 2014 12:02 AM