Every time domain users log off or reboot Win10 pc profile data is lost. RRS feed

• Question

• Server 2012R2
    • Active Directory
    • DHCP/DNS
    • Client OS: Windows 10 Professional

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/88903fce-9722-4774-9390-02adfeb84e46/windows-7-user-profile-lost-when-you-log-off-or-reboot?forum=w7itproui

I have read other posts about this issue and the solutions are not valid for what my environment is experiencing.  

Issue:

Domain user logs off or reboot's pc and on login all profile data is gone. Profile data is not located in a TEMP profile or bak. There isn't any corrupted profiles in the registry.

• dcdiag is clean.
    • netlogon stop and start
    • Windows 10 update are off, as best they can be.
    • PC's scanned for viruses and none found.
    • Users removed from Domain Guests group and added to Domain Users group if they were not already in there.

If it wasn't for multi-day end user backups I would be at the end of my rope.

Has anyone heard of an Microsoft RCA as of yet?

Tuesday, June 12, 2018 3:09 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Did you use the roaming user profile or local user profile?

Please add the user to the local workstation Users group.

1. Press WIN+R, type lusrmgr.msc.

2. Click Group in the left navigate pane, click Users group, click Add... to add the Domain Users group into local Users group.

After that, restart the computer and login with domain user to try again.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 7:03 AM
  • We just had a similar event occur on Monday, June 11th.  Our environment has all Intel NUCs running Windows 10 professional.  Five users with folder redirection, two users with local install of Windows lost their entire user profile.   It was just deleted.

This happened to 7 users out of 110 users.

All PCs have up-to-date anti-virus (McAfee).  All PC's fully patched.

Windows 10 patch for Adobe Flash was pushed over the weekend by Microsoft.

We did have a power outage Sunday night/Monday morning.

The loss of the entire user directory, including user profiles, is frightening.

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 2:48 PM
  • Did you use the roaming user profile or local user profile?

A: These are domain accounts with locally stored profiles.

lease add the user to the local workstation Users group.

A: Users were already attached to the workstations user group.

Wednesday, June 13, 2018 7:56 PM
  • Hi all,

What's build of your Windows 10?

Based on my test, it doesn't occurred on my Windows 10 1803 (build 17134.112). DC is Windows 10 2012R2.

Let's double confirm the issue is the whole user profile is deleted or the changes for user profile is not saved?

@jyblackwood, what if you roll back to a previous time, un-patched Adobe Flash update?

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, June 15, 2018 9:29 AM
  • FYI:  The Windows 10 forums are found @ https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=Windows10ITPro

This is a Windows 7 forum.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Friday, June 15, 2018 11:12 AM
  • What's build of your Windows 10?
    A: The most recent = 17134.112

Based on my test, it doesn't occurred on my Windows 10 1803 (build 17134.112). DC is Windows 10 2012R2.
    A:  I think my stated issues negate's those tests.

Let's double confirm the issue is the whole user profile is deleted or the changes for user profile is not saved?
    A: All data within the locally stored AD users profile is deleted.  There is no tmp or bak profiles.  No profiles hidden in Windows.old.  The user is starting with a default profile.

@jyblackwood, what if you roll back to a previous time, un-patched Adobe Flash update?
    Friday, June 15, 2018 2:37 PM
  • That's really odd。

Please give us the screenshot of the domain user's member of information on DC as below:

And user group on the client:

Meanwhile, let's collect the gprepot to confirm it:

1. Open Command Prompt(Admin).

2. Type the following command

gpresult /h c:\gpreport.html /user:karen\test2

Note: Replace with your actual domain user account.

3. Go to C drive, upload gpreport.html to OneDrive and share the link here.

Please Note: Wipe any privacy information before uploading any log file to public site.

Monday, June 18, 2018 7:21 AM
  • I am having an issue with account verification. I am trying to post pictures but MS is being a PITA!
    Wednesday, June 20, 2018 5:00 PM
  • You can upload the picture to OneDrive and share the link here as text format.

Thursday, June 21, 2018 7:40 AM