Event Viewer not loading - MMC could not create the snap-in - Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, when I run event viewer in Win7 64-bit I get the following error:

MMC could not create the snap-in.

Name: Event Viewer
    CLSID: FX:{b05566ad-fe9c-7a4cbb7cb510}

I was originally trying to fix various random error inc a Windows COM+ error window coming up. I installed several Windows update, inc 8 updates to .Net 4 and instead of fixing anything I got further errors - Dell Dock - and now can't get into either Event Viewer or Task Scheduler. 

Also, when installing the updates, it tried to install Win7 SP1 but failed and rolled this back.

I've removed all the .NET4 updates (but not .NET4 itself as it's been there since before the problem started), tried a clean boot and so far no good.

Has anyone got any other ideas before I do a Repair Install? ( I have no SYstem Restore point before today's updates now)

Any help gratefully appreciated.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 6:36 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You may run the system file checker tool once again. It might fix the issue.

Let us know the error message you got when running the system file checker tool before.

Check the article:

“How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7”

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Regards.

Spencer
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Spencer Xi Friday, February 1, 2013 5:37 AM
    Friday, January 11, 2013 7:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You may run the system file checker tool once again. It might fix the issue.

Let us know the error message you got when running the system file checker tool before.

Check the article:

“How to use the System File Checker tool to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files on Windows Vista or on Windows 7”

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Regards.

Spencer
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Spencer Xi Friday, February 1, 2013 5:37 AM
    Friday, January 11, 2013 7:46 AM
  • Use your Windows 7 DVD and simply UPGRADE and be done with it.  You won't lose none of your programs.  Otherwise you will get the runaround from the internet.  Oh and make sure your DVD is set to run in Windows Vista SP2 mode (right click setup.exe to change).  Three hours later everything is fixed.  If you don't have a product key to enter at the end, you will only have limited access.  If you don't have a Windows 7 installer DVD, then you are screwed unless you buy a new OS.
    Saturday, September 7, 2013 10:00 PM