Vista x64 (SP1) slowdown when increasing RAM to 4Gb RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,
    When i insert 4Gb of RAM Vista x64 becomes extremely slow. It boots up to 15 mins, then it responds to any action with 2-3 sec delay; windows and tooltips appears like slideshow; Task manager utilizes all available CPU (realy strange) showing processes or performance. I've tried different memory modules in both dual and single memory modes in combinations of 2Gb and 1Gb modules (of different timings and bus speeds also).
    Any 3Gb memory configuration works fine.

Help me please to discover what's the problem and how it can be resolved?
    P.S. I didn't test it on Vista with no Service Pack installed.
    Wednesday, December 17, 2008 8:05 AM

Answers

•  

Hi,

I understand that the computer’s performance is low and the CPU usage is high with 4GB RAMs. However, the it works fine with 3GB RAMs.

As for this high CPU and low performance issue, we generally need to analyze the performance monitor logs and memory dump files to locate the root cause. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum because of the nature of forum support. A support call to our product service team is needed for the debugging service. I'd like to recommend that you contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for assistance so that this problem can be resolved efficiently. To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Having said that, I'd still like to provide the following general troubleshooting steps to see if we can eliminate this problem:

Note: Please perform a complete system backup first. If any unexpected issue occurs, we can quickly restore the system to the current status.

1.    Check the compatibilities:

1)    May I know how you arrange the 4GB memories, 1GB*4, 2GB*2, or 2GB+1GB+1GB?

2)    Check if the brand and model are the same. If the brand or model is not the same, it may cause compatible issues.

3)    Check if your motherboard supports 4GB memories or not. If it is not clear, please upgrade your Bios, motherboard driver and contact the technical support of your motherboard or memories regarding the issue.

2.    Scan your system to make sure that the system is virus free. Temporarily disable your anti-virus software to see if this problem is gone.

3.    Please boot the system to “Safe Mode” to check the issue.

4.    If the process is a service, you can use these steps to find out what applications are using most of the CPU: Open Task Manager, click on the Processes tab, look for the process that is using the CPU and note its PID (Process ID). Note that you may need to go to the View/Select Columns menu and make sure that PID (Process Identifier) is checked.

Once you have the PID run the following from a command prompt:

tasklist /svc

This should give you the application associated with the PID you identified in the previous step.

However, if the issue still persists, please contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS) for further troubleshooting. I hope the problem will be resolved soon. Thanks!

Hope this helps.

Nicholas Li - MSFT

Nicholas Li - MSFT
    Thursday, December 18, 2008 11:29 AM