Force bandwidth policy service to use front end instead of Edge? RRS feed

• Question

• We have identified the following scenario:

• Enterprise pool at central location & backup location
    • Edge pool at central location & backup location
    • Standard Edition servers at remote sites, associated with Edge pool at central location

We have found that when the Edge servers at the central site are unavailable, outbound calling across all locations fails.  I understand there is a dependency on the Edge server, since the Lync client uses it to check the bandwidth policy service before it can place the call.  If no Edge server is defined, the Lync client uses the front-end pool.  

My concern is that if a Standard edition server loses connectivity to the Edge pool, I lose outbound dial.  This isn't a DR situation; simply having the Edge servers down prevents outbound dial.  I don't see this mentioned anywhere very prominently (or at all), and would like to know if there's a way force a client to use its front end rather than Edge for the bandwidth policy check?  It seems that our options for site resiliency require NOT associating an Edge server with the site, unless it is locally available.  Is this correct?  

TIA

Kevin Clark | blog.blimeyuc.com

Thursday, May 24, 2012 7:04 PM

All replies

• Not ideal but in a DR what could be done is untick the association edge pool (for media components) under the FE pool properties and then republish. To take effect phone and lync client would have to re-login.

• Proposed as answer by Adminiuga Sunday, May 27, 2012 4:58 PM
    • Marked as answer by Noya Lau Monday, June 4, 2012 11:34 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by kclark_clearp Monday, June 4, 2012 12:01 PM
    Friday, May 25, 2012 3:20 PM
  • As per my knowledge, Lync will check the bandwidth policy against the Edge server. If the Edge server not responding, Lync will be unable to check the policy and the call will be failed.

If you remove the Edge server from the topology, then Lync will check against the Front End server accordingly.

However, you could try to create an Edge pool instead of a single server.

Noya Lau

TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Noya Lau Monday, June 4, 2012 11:34 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by kclark_clearp Monday, June 4, 2012 12:01 PM
    Monday, May 28, 2012 3:59 AM