Windows Media Player (Vista Ultimate 64) Crashes when attempting to open ANY media. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm in desparate straights, and cannot find any solution to my problem.  My WMP will not play any media, sound or video.  It's worked fine for nearly a year, but not anymore. 

Any time I try to open any file that used to play in Windows Media Player I get "Windows Media Player has stopped working" message.  I can't even visit webpages with embedded media player, it crashes my IE.

When I "View the Problem Details" I get:

Problem signature:
      Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
      Application Name: wmplayer.exe
      Application Version: 11.0.6001.7000
      Application Timestamp: 47919356
      Fault Module Name: kernel32.dll
      Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18000
      Fault Module Timestamp: 4791a81d
      Exception Code: c06d007e
      Exception Offset: 0002f35f
      OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
      Locale ID: 1033
      Additional Information 1: fd00
      Additional Information 2: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160
      Additional Information 3: fd00
      Additional Information 4: ea6f5fe8924aaa756324d57f87834160

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,

-CP

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 8:35 PM

All replies

•  

That particular offset can't be readily decoded by anybody - the bucket numbers when available are usually illuminative in addition to that data.  The actual crash DMP file produced might be decipherable under a debugger, but given the limited data above there's not much to go on.  The three initial suspects from that data would be system file corruption, a bogus third party dll (wmptagsupport.dll, madflac.ax, vsfilter.dll, etc), or a potential library corruption.
    Wednesday, November 26, 2008 8:27 AM
  • I wish I had more information to give you.  How would I obtain the crash DMP file?  I did a search for *.DMP on my C: drive and it turned up nothing.

Is there any way I can give you more information that would be helpful?

I did a search on my C: drive for those 3 files you mentioned (wmptagsupport.dll, madflac.ax, vsfilter.dll) and did not find them either.

To the best of my recollection here is what happned:

I started my Windows Media Player to play an AVI file.

DivX Updater popped up saying there was a newer version of their codec available.

I went to their site and downloaded it.  But their installer has a bunch of junk in it (like Yahoo Toolbar) so I only installed the codec and the DivX player.

I started WMP and watched my video.  In the middle of the video I decided I no longer wanted the DivX player so I uninstalled the DivX Bundle (which apparently uninstalled the DivX codec).

Then I closed WMP.  I opened WMP and opened the same AVI I was watching during the uninstall of the DivX Bundle (which there was no playback problem at all during the 1hr 30 minutes of video, despite the codec being uninstalled 10 minutes in).  Now the video will not play, saying it does not have the proper codec (as expected).  I shut down WMP.

I then went out to my harddrive and found the DivX installer.  Only it was for a version of the Codec from about 6 months ago.  While installing the Codec it informed me that a newer version was available, would I like it?  And I said "No" and continued the install.  I then watched another video successfully on WMP.

I closed WMP at the conclusion of the video.

I then went and downloaded the latest DivX Codec again.  I uninstalled the 6 month old DivX codec via their Uninstall DivX Bundle utility.  I then installed the latest DivX Codec.

I didn't test that install and didn't watch any videos for a day or so.  Then I started up WMP to listen to a song on my harddrive and I got the above error.  I tried one of the videos I had watched before and I got the same error.

That's all the information I have off-hand.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 4:49 PM
  •  zachd [MSFT] wrote:

That particular offset can't be readily decoded by anybody - the bucket numbers when available are usually illuminative in addition to that data.  The actual crash DMP file produced might be decipherable under a debugger, but given the limited data above there's not much to go on.  The three initial suspects from that data would be system file corruption, a bogus third party dll (wmptagsupport.dll, madflac.ax, vsfilter.dll, etc), or a potential library corruption.

How can I get the crash DMP file or any other data that may be more helpful?

Wednesday, December 3, 2008 7:31 PM
  • Wednesday, December 3, 2008 9:55 PM
  •  zachd [MSFT] wrote:

I'd think that something like this:

* http://blogs.msdn.com/jfoscoding/archive/2006/11/30/grabbing-dmp-files-from-crash-dialogs.aspx

might be helpful.

According to that site only the error message resembling "SomeProgram has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for this inconvenience."  throws up a .DMP file.  However, I did follow their instructions for looking in my %TEMP% folder while the error screen was up to find the .DMP file and there was not indeed one there.

Here is a link to a pic of the error message that I get:  http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq311/WMP_Crash/wmperrorscrn.gif

How I get it:

1) Start WMP

2) Double-click on OAM's Blues from Aaron Goldberg (Sample music inlcuded with Vista/WMP) in the Library.

3) Crash happens immediately

Monday, December 8, 2008 9:02 PM
  •  

Yes, that picture is more or less the same absolutely indecipherable data you provided earlier, sorry.  =\

The "debug" option there might get you the ability to generate or save the DMP.  Without a DMP file, there would be likely not way for anyone to diagnose this for you online.  Your local computer might be able to since they could look at it directly, but otherwise, without a DMP file, anybody would just be guessing wildly. =\

Monday, December 8, 2008 9:08 PM
  •  zachd [MSFT] wrote:

Yes, that picture is more or less the same absolutely indecipherable data you provided earlier, sorry.  =\

The "debug" option there might get you the ability to generate or save the DMP.  Without a DMP file, there would be likely not way for anyone to diagnose this for you online.  Your local computer might be able to since they could look at it directly, but otherwise, without a DMP file, anybody would just be guessing wildly. =\

Ok, I clicked the debug option and the following happend:

I got this message after VS2008 loaded:  http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq311/WMP_Crash/wmpdebug1.gif

I clicked continue and got this message repeatedly:  http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq311/WMP_Crash/wmpdebug2.gif

Since I was getting that message over and over I clicked 'Break' and got this message: http://i459.photobucket.com/albums/qq311/WMP_Crash/wmpdebug3.gif

I never saw a .DMP file at any point appear in my %TEMP% file, I was monitoring it.

This computer was built for me by a friend of mine who used to own a small computer store that went out of business.  So, I don't have DELL-type support to fall back on.

Is there a utility or anything in Vista that can "fix" or "diagnose" the problem?

I'm currently using the VLC player as an alternative, but I want to use WMP, and any webpage that has embedded WMP in it immediately freezes and then crashes my IE.

Thanks for your time and help.

Monday, December 8, 2008 11:32 PM
  •  

Any picture you can attach would not be interesting.  Smile
    I realize that VS on your system might not have the callstack information given that you probably don't have symbols installed.  But I'm not asking you to nor do I think it would help for you to debug this.  Just for the DMP file to analyze.  That I can potentially work with.  I believe there's a "Save Minidump As" option under the debug menu when you're looking at a crash in VS?

Alternatively, WinDBG from the Windows Debugging Toolkit probably be easier to work with to generate a full DMP file.

No, there's no utility anywhere that can "fix" or "diagnose" the multitude of ways that you can potentially break your player, with any reasonable success rate.  This is a complex layered area.

Monday, December 8, 2008 11:54 PM
  •  zachd [MSFT] wrote:

Any picture you can attach would not be interesting. 
    I realize that VS on your system might not have the callstack information given that you probably don't have symbols installed.  But I'm not asking you to nor do I think it would help for you to debug this.  Just for the DMP file to analyze.  That I can potentially work with.  I believe there's a "Save Minidump As" option under the debug menu when you're looking at a crash in VS?

Alternatively, WinDBG from the Windows Debugging Toolkit probably be easier to work with to generate a full DMP file.

No, there's no utility anywhere that can "fix" or "diagnose" the multitude of ways that you can potentially break your player, with any reasonable success rate.  This is a complex layered area.

There is no "Save Minidump As" option under the debug menu in VS2008 or any other menu that I could find.  So, I am currently downloading the symbol files and WinDBG to try them.  Are there any specific instructions you have for using WinDBG?

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 1:05 AM
  •  

I'm not asking you to debug this nor download the symbol files, just saying that probably nobody can help you on this without system access or without a DMP file to look at.

No, I'll leave the WinDBG guides that already exist out there to handle that.  At this point, if you want to post up a DMP file I can probably help decode that, but without that I don't think I'm really adding any value to you here. =\

Tuesday, December 9, 2008 1:16 AM
  • quit it said:

I'm not asking you to debug this nor download the symbol files, just saying that probably nobody can help you on this without system access or without a DMP file to look at.

No, I'll leave the WinDBG guides that already exist out there to handle that.  At this point, if you want to post up a DMP file I can probably help decode that, but without that I don't think I'm really adding any value to you here. =\

I just reinstalled Vista instead.  Problem solved.
    Temploiter
    Monday, December 15, 2008 2:27 AM
  • Quick one did you install Windows Vista 64Bit N?
    Friday, April 5, 2013 3:47 PM