need help with package update RRS feed

• Question

• have a package that was sequenced for w7 64 bit;

now need to publish this package to RDS 2012.

edited the package in sequencer and added RDS2012 R2.

The question:

do I have to unpublish current package that is for W7 only and publish edited one with added RDS 2012 or can I update running with changed. Never did update yet. So please don't be angry :)

"When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 8:32 PM

Answers

• If I understand what you are saying, it might be best to do a Save As New Package. Un-publish the first package and then publish the new one. I think that's best, based on what you're describing...

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 8:58 PM

All replies

• If I understand what you are saying, it might be best to do a Save As New Package. Un-publish the first package and then publish the new one. I think that's best, based on what you're describing...

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Tuesday, September 16, 2014 8:58 PM
  • followed Rory's suggestion.

Have another question about package update.

The scenario:

I have a running appv package named Mars.

Next month new release of application coming. Usually just couple dlls change in a new release.

How I should proceed in order to UPDATE currently running package without impacting user access?

Thx.

"When you hit a wrong note it's the next note that makes it good or bad". Miles Davis

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 11:16 AM
  • pbob,

The answer will depend a little on how you want to support the users.  I'm going to answer this a little backwards though:

Doing a Save-As will generate a new package GUID, which will primarily do two things:
    1.  Allow the two versions to co-exist on the same client, as the App-V client will treat them independently (keep in mind this doesn't mean it WILL work, just that App-V will let you).
    2.  Any package settings change inside the VE will be 'lost' when the user migrates to the new version (new package GUID).  Say for example some user setting was save to AppvPackageRoot (piped out to localappdata), that change will only apply to versions under the same package GUID.  This can be good or bad depending on what you want.
    There isn't a huge right or wrong approach. 

That said, if you are controlling the group publishing by different AD groups you can have a new version and an old version without impacting anything.  App-V 5 isn't like App-V 4 where each application name had to be unique, in full infrastructure (I haven't tested SCCM) you can't have the same package AND same version in the publishing catalog, but everything else is ok.

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 12:04 PM
  • If you just changed the supported OS value (checkbox during sequencing), just saving the package on the sequencer and importing it into the management console should be fine. 

The MgtConsole will determine that you are importing an updated version and will ask you if you want to import it 'as an update'. You can confirm that.

On a client machine, the old version of the package will remain (for a while) and the new version will be added. Users that actively work with the old version, stick on that on. Users that launch the application will get the new version. 

If your two 'packages' really have technical differnces, the 'save as new package' is appropriate with the considerations mentioned earlier

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 1:53 PM
  • 1. I do not need a co-existence of old and new versions.

I strictly need one - NEW when it becomes available.

2. Understand all what you saying.

what I meant by UPDATE old version:

1.  new version comes as msi file. So first I need to sequence it.

2.  in my head UPDATE can compare running APPV app package and a newly sequenced and make necessary changes in Running one to bring it to fully functional New one.

Probably I am mistaken.

So what will be an appropriate scenario in my case?

New package is sequenced. I have to un-publish an old one. Delete it.

Add a new one and publish it.

?

Wednesday, September 17, 2014 5:28 PM