WSUS 2016 and Windows 10 1809 problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We set up a new WSUS server on Windows Server 2016. We want to update\patch our corporate PCs that are on Windows 7 and Windows 10 1809. We DO NOT want to upgrade to new versions of Windows 10 via WSUS and we DO NOT want to update the WIndows 7 PCs to Windows 10. We are doing that trough SCCM or clean install. What option do I choose just to get updates/security update/critical updates... JUST for Windows 10 1809 and Windows 7 and not upgrades to newer versions? 

At the moment we only have one PC on this new infrastructure for testing purposes. It has Windows 10 1809 and Office 2016 and before joining it to our WSUS server it had all the latest updates from Microsoft downloaded from the Internet and installed. On the WSUS server from Products we selected Windows 10, Windows 7, Office 2016 (and 2013 for other PCs that will be added later) and from Classifications we selected Critical Updates, Definition Updates, Feature Packs, Security Updates, Update Rollups and Updates.
    I also created an automatic approval rule for the group that the test PC is a member of for Critical Updates, Security Updates and Update Rollups. When I ran the rule I got over 5000 updates that were approved and over 400GB to download form Microsoft to the WSUS server. We got updates for Office 2013 and other older versions of Windows 10. Why is this happening? Isn't the automatic approval rule supposed to approve only the updates that are needed by the PC?

Please help because 400GB of data for just one PC seems too much to me.

Thursday, November 21, 2019 11:15 AM

All replies

• Hi damemalov,

The update category you have selected is not included in the Windows 10 version upgrade, so you can continue to use it.
    Regarding the issue of updating the amount of files, here are my suggestions:

1. First run the following command on the WSUS server via the elevated Powershell:
      >  (Get-WsusServer).CancelAllDownloads()
      Stop all downloads that are currently in progress.

2. In the update view of the WSUS console, add the "Supersedence" column and sort by the supersedence attribute. Perform "Decline" processing for this type of update:
        This update has been superseded by another update and superseded another update as well.
        This update has been superseded by another update.

3. Find the "Server Cleanup Wizard" in the Options of the WSUS console and run the cleanup according to the wizard.

4. After completing all the above steps, approve the update with the status "Needed".
      In addition, too many languages and express installation files may also increase the amount of files. If there is such a choice, please modify according to your own situation.

Hope the above can help you.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 22, 2019 2:44 AM
  • Hi Damemalov,

Any update is welcome here.
    If the issue is resolved, share your solution or find the helpful response "Mark as Answer" to help other community members find the answer.

Thank you for your cooperation, as always.

Regards,
    Yic

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, November 28, 2019 7:50 AM