“Can't create file: filename.*. Right click on the folder you want to create the file in, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu to check your permissions for the folder.” RRS feed

• Question

• I have found *many* pages on internet referring to this problem; including this one in this forum.

Many of them point to this KB817878 page. This page suggests issue was resolved in Outlook 2010 SP1.

Unfortunately for me; I see this error in Outlook 2016! It started yesterday.

The error message tells me the name of folder Outlook is trying to use; it is ...

C:\Users\????\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\Content.Outlook\????????

Where ??? is current user and ???????? appears to be randomly generated.

A search for "OutlookSecureTempFolder" in registry points to the same folder.

Things I tried:

• Deleting all files in this folder worked once; then always failed after that.
    • Run Outlook in safe mode creates a new folder in Content.Outlook; I was able to open an attachment once; then failed again.
    • Ran quick repair and again I could only open one attachment; then it always triggered error after that.
    • Delete all folders in Content.Outlook and Outlook will create a new one. 
    • Run disk cleanup to remove all temporary files - no affect.

This error appears for any attachment (pdf, xlsx, docx, etc) in any email.

Thanks for your time.

• Edited by f_bax Wednesday, June 12, 2019 11:18 PM
    Wednesday, June 12, 2019 11:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

In most cases the permissions on the folder isn’t the issue but the fact that the folder is “full”. When you open an attachment directly from within Outlook it will first save a copy to a subfolder of the Temporary Internet Files folder. 

There is an article for you, it is suggested to follow the steps mentioned in this article and see if there is any difference.

(Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

Hope this can be helpful.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, June 13, 2019 6:47 AM
  • Hi Aidan,

Thanks for the prompt response! I followed the steps outlined in the webpage you suggested without success.

Steps 1-3 With Outlook 2016, these steps can be replaced by "Run -> shell:cache".

Step 4 - I already tried this (see my initial post above); tried again anyway without success.

Step 5 suggests OutlookTempCleaner; I found this page - the software does not appear to support Outlook 2016. 

Step 6 suggests changing Registry key OutlookSecureTempFolder to %USERPROFILE%\Documents\OutlookTempFiles\

When I tried Step 6; the error still appears and the error message still contains Content.Outlook folder. When I exit Outlook and check Registry; I see that Outlook changed the Registry key. When Outlook changed value of OutlookSecureTempFolder; it created a NEW temp folder (a different 8-char random string). There are now several temp folders in Content.Outlook; they are all empty.

In your email; you mention "Temporary Internet Files". It is my understanding that when an attachment in opened in Outlook; the file is first stored in OutlookSecureTempFolder and then moved to "Temporary Internet Files".

Problem not solved.

Frank

• Edited by f_bax Thursday, June 13, 2019 5:28 PM
    Thursday, June 13, 2019 4:54 PM
  • Hi Frank,

Thanks for your updates.

How about installing the latest updates?

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, June 17, 2019 8:51 AM
  • Hi Aidan,

Outlook says we already have latest updates.

Version 1905 (Build 11629.20246 Click-to-Run)

Frank

Wednesday, June 19, 2019 12:26 AM
  • Hi,

I'm researching on your issue.

Once there is any update, I will post here at the first time.

Thanks for your understanding.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Friday, June 21, 2019 9:43 AM
  • Hi,

According to my research, there is an article for you to find the SecureTemp Files Folder in Outlook 2016.
    (Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.)

Just find the folder and delete the files in the folder and test again.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Monday, June 24, 2019 9:10 AM
  • Aidan,

Delete the files in OutlookSecureTempFolder does not resolve this issue.

This is the same advice you suggested in your first reply.

Frank

Monday, June 24, 2019 1:00 PM
  • Hi Frank,

Thanks for your reply.

I have done a lot of researching and searching, unfortunately, this issue may be outside my ability. 

Please wait for the next update and install, the update usually solves many strange problems.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Thursday, June 27, 2019 7:56 AM
  • Issue has still NOT been resolved!
    Monday, July 22, 2019 11:34 PM