PowerShell ISE (and some scripts with GUI) show as blank white/black image after Fall Creators update RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, after installing the Win 10 Fall Creators Update when I try to edit PS files in ISE all I see is a blank white image where the code should be and then black where the menus should be. Any idea how to fix? This is extremely frustrating...

Tuesday, January 2, 2018 11:03 AM

All replies

• I ran into a similar problem a while back, and had to remove the PowerShell ISE feature, reboot, then re-install...
    Tuesday, January 2, 2018 12:00 PM
  • I ran into a similar problem a while back, and had to remove the PowerShell ISE feature, reboot, then re-install...
    Sorry for the ignorance, but how do I remove the ISE feature only?
    Tuesday, January 2, 2018 12:51 PM
  • Hi,

According to your situation, you may have a try with the method below and see whether the issue remains:
    1. Open PowerShell ISE > Tools > Options, click Restore Defaults.
    2. Based on the test in my lab, uninstall Windows PowerShell 2.0 in Windows 10 will remove PowerShell ISE but not PowerShell itself, please have a try to reinstall this feature for testing.

If you need further help, please feel free to let us know.

Best Regards,
    Albert

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 1:33 AM
  • Hi Albert, unfortunately I see now menu at all when I open ISE. I tried to attach/post an image to show this but the forum will not let me.

All I can do on the menu is the standard move, size, restore, minimize etc. the window. I have also gone in to "turn windows features on and off" and turned off windows powershell 2.0 but this doesn't remove PowerShell ISE. There is no PowerShell ISE uninstall option in the programs list (and I would be worried about not being able to reinstall it). This all seems related to the Fall Creators Update for Win 10.

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 3:16 PM
  • After further experimentation, it appears the menu etc. are there; however, not visible. When I click on them some of the headings appear, but the options show as a white box still.
    Wednesday, January 3, 2018 3:29 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for sharing your current progress. In this case, I recommend trying to reinstall .NET Framework and see if the issue remains.

Best Regards,
    Albert

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, January 4, 2018 10:15 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for sharing your current progress. In this case, I recommend trying to reinstall .NET Framework and see if the issue remains.

Best Regards,
    Albert

Hi Albert, I do not think I can reinstall it because it is part of Windows 10 Fall Creators update by default. Do you have a way to repair/reinstall it in this case?

• Edited by Boffinboy Thursday, January 4, 2018 10:35 AM
    Thursday, January 4, 2018 10:35 AM
  • Does it work with a new profile?

Thursday, January 4, 2018 1:35 PM
  • Create a new account and test to see if the problem happens.   It is likely that the account you are using to run this is corrupted. 

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, January 4, 2018 3:39 PM
  • Does it work with a new profile?

I am so new to this I am unsure how to create a new profile and change it to test. Damn I feel useless! I was just looking to experiment with some basic tasks.
    Thursday, January 4, 2018 5:00 PM
  • Create a new account and test to see if the problem happens.   It is likely that the account you are using to run this is corrupted. 

\_(ツ)_/

As in Windows account? Will give that a go!
    Thursday, January 4, 2018 5:01 PM
  • Yes.  New profile means new account.  An account is a profile.

\_(ツ)_/

Thursday, January 4, 2018 5:08 PM
  • Hi,

I'm checking how the issue is going, was your issue resolved?

And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, and if you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be greatly helpful to others who have the same question.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Albert

Monday, January 8, 2018 9:05 AM
  • Hi,

I am checking how the issue is going, if you still have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

If you resolved it using our solution, please "mark it as answer" to help other community members find the helpful reply quickly.
    If you resolve it using your own solution, please share your experience and solution here. It will be very beneficial for other community members who have similar questions.
    If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Appreciate for your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Albert

Wednesday, January 10, 2018 8:25 AM
  • Hi Albert, apologies, I have been extremely busy so unable to test. I will try and do so and report back.
    Wednesday, January 17, 2018 9:46 PM
  • Hi,

Awaiting for your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Albert

Thursday, January 18, 2018 6:39 AM
  • I have the same issue.
    tried ise -noprofile
    I've removed powershell from features, though that only relates to version 2 and $psversiontable shows 5.1

also removed all versions of .net

I've also tried a new profile
    Nothing has worked so far

Friday, April 20, 2018 10:16 PM
  • Reinstalling the GPU drivers resolved it for me.
    Saturday, April 21, 2018 11:59 AM
  • I have the same problem. It's related with the graphics drivers in my laptop, Intel HD graphics 620.

Even after reinstalling the display driver the issue is still there. It' seem to be related to the HW acceleration parameters for some Microsoft apps. Adding the following registry key fixed the issue.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Avalon.Graphics]

"DisableHWAcceleration"=dword:00000001 

The problem could also show up in Visual Studio and the SQL management Studio tool.

Yannb

• Proposed as answer by Yannb Friday, July 6, 2018 2:57 PM
    Friday, July 6, 2018 2:57 PM