My Mail is being forwarded to a non existent account RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Outlook 2010 at home and have done so for years without problem.  I generally access my home emails via the server associated with my phone account. 

I have also had many other email accounts over the years associated with my work (so as an employee). I have never linked my private and work accounts or set emails from one address to automatically forward to the other - they have always been kept totally separate (although I might occasionally email myself from one to the other).

Recently my work changed its email platform from Lotus Notes to Outlook (part of a full switch over to Office 365). Ever since that change, all emails being sent to my home address are being automatically forwarded to an old defunct work email address - so not my current one, but one from many years ago. I still receive the original email, but the senders receive an error message advising them that there is no such user (because there isn't in relation to the address to which the emails are being forwarded). 

This means that nearly everybody who emails me thinks I haven't received their email and then they contact me again by phone or surface mail. My banking, my bills, on-line receipts, everything is affected because people think I must have changed my email address (nobody reads the whole of the returned mail message to notice that the address quoted in it is differenct to the address they used in sending the email to me). 

Even though I know I did not create a forwarding rule, I have checked rules and there is nothing there. I have also down that this where you log on, click the cog in upper right corner and check forwarding. Again, there is nothing there.

I have just tried accessing my account via the web and noticed that it does not have anything in the inbox. So I did a test and tried sending a message from my web email account. I sent it to my husband's email with a cc back to me. My husband received it. My web account did not get the cc, but my account via my phone provider did. And only the account via the phone provider received the error message. So then I sent myself an email from another address and again, it was only received in the account via my phone provider, not in the web based account - so it looks like the web mail account is also not receiving any mail. I'm not really bothered by this as I don't access via the web usually, but only checked it to see if there was any weird forwarding set up there that I needed to cancel so I only mention it here in case it is related in some way.

I read threads about some Google or third party loop that occurs occasionally, but if that is the problem, I need to know who to contact to get that fixed – please can you help?

Wednesday, November 28, 2018 1:37 AM

All replies

• Hi Powell2626,

Welcome to post in Outlook forum. I've read through your thread but am confused about several points, could you please clarify the questions below so that we can understand better about your issue?

1. >> "I have also down that this where you log on, click the cog in upper right corner and check forwarding. "
    By this, do you mean you have checked in the web mail of your "home account" and make sure that no forwarding rules was created for the home address?

2. >> "My husband received it. My web account did not get the cc, but my account via my phone provider did."
    Which account do you exactly mean by "web account" and "account via the phone provider"? Are they refer to the same account (your home account)? 

3. >> "Recently my work changed its email platform from Lotus Notes to Outlook (part of a full switch over to Office 365)."
    Do you mean the issue occurs right after moving from Lotus Notes to Outlook? Were both your home address and the old defunct work address configured in Lotus Notes or Outlook client?

4. What's the type of the accounts involved in the issue? Are they all Exchange accounts? If this is the case and the home account was configured in your Outlook, personally I'd like to suggest trying the steps below and check the result:

1) Back up the rules via Manage Rules& Alerts > Options > Export rules.
    2) Close Outlook. Press Win+R, type "outlook /cleanrules", press Enter.
    3) Test by sending a message to your home account and check if the issue persists. 
    4) Import the backup rules if it doen't work.

By the way, do you have a email server administrator for your home account? If yes, it is recommended to contact the administrator to see if any information can be found using the message tracking tools for admins.

Any updates, feel free to share with us.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, November 29, 2018 6:36 AM
  • Hi Powell2626,

How's everything going with the issue? If the above reply was helpful, please remember to help mark it as answer :)

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Monday, December 3, 2018 10:40 AM