how many xml files to specify - USMT task sequence RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys,

I am a noob at SCCM and I am currently trying to create an Offline Win PE task sequence Migration for win 7 to win 10 machines.

I have created a config.xml file and my question is this, when adding the modified config.xml file to my task sequence do I also need to add MigDocs.xml and MigApps.xml files as well? Can I just specify config.xml.

Will USMT still work if I only add config.xml even though config.xml is taking some preferences from other xml files not added to task sequence, additionally, if i have to add all files involved how does USMT work out which file is read first.. second.. etc..??

Any information will be helpful, thank you.

Wednesday, July 12, 2017 2:45 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>>"I have created a config.xml file and my question is this, when adding the modified config.xml file to my task sequence do I also need to add MigDocs.xml and MigApps.xml files as well? Can I just specify config.xml."

No, you can't. The Config.xml is used to exclude certain components from the migration when using the default migration .xml files (MigDocs.xml,MigApps.xml.MigUser.xml) , it is just an optional option. Commonly, we generate and use the Config.xml file in the ScanState cmdlet as the following example:

scanstate /i:migapp.xml /i:migdocs.xml /genconfig:config.xml /v:5

scanstate \\server\share\migration\mystore /i:migapp.xml /i:migdocs.xml /o /config:config.xml /v:5 /encrypt /key:"mykey"

When you create and modify the Config.xml file, you choose the component that don't want to migrate and change its entry to "migrate="no"". During the USMT scanstate process, all the content will be migrated as the rules defined in the original migration .xml files except for the ones you have configured with "migrate="no"" entry in the Config.xml file.

For more details about the config.xml description, please refer to docs here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/usmt/usmt-customize-xml-files#bkmk-configxml

Regards,

Jimmy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 13, 2017 10:37 AM

All replies

• Hi,

>>"I have created a config.xml file and my question is this, when adding the modified config.xml file to my task sequence do I also need to add MigDocs.xml and MigApps.xml files as well? Can I just specify config.xml."

No, you can't. The Config.xml is used to exclude certain components from the migration when using the default migration .xml files (MigDocs.xml,MigApps.xml.MigUser.xml) , it is just an optional option. Commonly, we generate and use the Config.xml file in the ScanState cmdlet as the following example:

scanstate /i:migapp.xml /i:migdocs.xml /genconfig:config.xml /v:5

scanstate \\server\share\migration\mystore /i:migapp.xml /i:migdocs.xml /o /config:config.xml /v:5 /encrypt /key:"mykey"

When you create and modify the Config.xml file, you choose the component that don't want to migrate and change its entry to "migrate="no"". During the USMT scanstate process, all the content will be migrated as the rules defined in the original migration .xml files except for the ones you have configured with "migrate="no"" entry in the Config.xml file.

For more details about the config.xml description, please refer to docs here:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/usmt/usmt-customize-xml-files#bkmk-configxml

Regards,

Jimmy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 13, 2017 10:37 AM
  • Great answer, thanks for putting everything into perspective, I am having a hard time understanding how USMT uses its files, thanks.
    Thursday, July 13, 2017 1:32 PM