none
Windows 7 Ultimate installation stuck on 'finalizing your settings'. RRS feed

• Question

• Running an inherited XPS M1530(not sure of specs) and trying to install 32-bit Windows 7 Ultimate. I partitioned everything and got through the installation, but now it's stuck at the window saying 'Windows is finalizing your settings', and has been for about 24 hours now.

Also the keyboard and mouse weren't recognized so I had to plug in a USB mouse and keyboard. 

Customer support was of no help at all, and I can't really find anything online to help out...

Basically what I want to know is: should I reboot or let it keep going?

Monday, August 8, 2011 6:37 PM

Answers

• I got bored so I threw the 64-bit disk back in, partitioned everything and it finally started working. 
    • Marked as answer by PennFifteen Tuesday, August 9, 2011 1:13 AM
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 1:13 AM

All replies

• Reboot
    MCTS, MCP, A+ Microsoft Partner
    Monday, August 8, 2011 8:00 PM
  • Okay, so I rebooted and it went back to the set up window. It asked me to type a username, so I used the one from last time but it says it's already in use. Should I go through all this again(inputting the Product Key) or start all over again from scratch(partitioning what may remain from the last installation try?)
    Monday, August 8, 2011 8:26 PM
  • I got bored so I threw the 64-bit disk back in, partitioned everything and it finally started working. 
    • Marked as answer by PennFifteen Tuesday, August 9, 2011 1:13 AM
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 1:13 AM
  • When running an install make sure all other media device types (USB Flash Drives, External Drives) are removed after setup has been run. If not, the OS will attempt to try and find a proper driver to match the device plugged in, hence causing the OS to hang. 

I have also seen it where "special" usb mouse/keyboard could cause the same failure. Keyboards that have USB connections or media card readers built-in can cause the same effect. 

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 8:22 PM