Sequencing the IBM iSeries Access Client 7.1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hey All,

I was wondering if anybody has experience in sequencing the IBM iSeries Access Client 7.1...

We're currently trying to sequence this application under Windows 7 Enterprise (x86) with the App-V4.6 SP1 Sequencer. We've checked the Windows 7 compatibility of this version and it is supported. Every function of the application is working during the monitoring phase of the sequence process. The main function we're (currently) interested in is the Emulator with the SSL encryption to our AS400 mainframe. This function requires the SSL-option to be installed. We've installed this with the rest of the application during our sequencing and during the monitoring phase, we're able to connect to the mainframe.

However, when we transfer the finished sequence to a test system, the Emulator pops up with an error message "SSL option is not installed". After some repackaging and investigation, we've managed to eliminate all the file exclusion that occured during our sequencing process. This includes a lot of "dirt" into the sequence but at least gave us the confidence that everything that was installed by the setup was also included in the Sequence. We've also excluded the Windows CA store as one of the possible causes. The IBM iSeries Access Client uses it's own SSL encryption methods.

My question to you all is. Has anyone ever succesfully packaged the IBM iSeries Access Client V7R1 on Windows 7 Enterprise and has anyone encountered/solved the issue we're currently facing?

Thanks in advance for your time and effort!

Microsoft Exchange Server enthousiast. "This is your M drive. This is your M drive after a virus scan. Get the picture?" "Friends don't let friends virusscan the M-Drive"
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 2:45 PM

Answers

• I really suggest you don't sequence this product.

This application is as close to middleware as it comes, It has custom ODBC drivers used for queries, custom drivers for sending to and from the iSeries and plugs into office using addins.

You may satisfy 40-50% of the users with a sequenced copy, but the "full suite" users will not be happy without the proprietary driver components of this application set.

Friday, September 23, 2011 9:53 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Yes on several occasion without any issues - I can't remember if they have used that specific option. I suggest you test your sequence according to the specific needs that are setup - then you will be certain that it works
    /Znack
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 2:49 PM
  • Just to be on the safe side I'll reply to this one... Our problem is specificly with the SSL option on the emulator. The rest of the applications in this suite are working like a charm... I've included a screenshot of the option with this post (as the option in the install is disabled by default). This screenshot was taken during a try to do a VFS install instead of an installation to Q. Both of them had the same result though...

Microsoft Exchange Server enthousiast. "This is your M drive. This is your M drive after a virus scan. Get the picture?" "Friends don't let friends virusscan the M-Drive"
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 2:59 PM
  • What does that option actually install? Does it install drivers or a service? Perhaps it is installing a certificate to the system which isn't being captured in the package.

If you're using the App-V 4.6 SP1 Sequencer, it should give you can idea of whether anything is excluded from the package

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 3:06 PM
  • The option installs the ability to use encrypted connections to your AS400 mainframes. The IBM client installs an extra program in %CSIDL_PROGRAM_FILES%\ibm\gsk7.

Unfortunately there's no exclusion in the Sequence that would point to anything crucial. The IBM client creates a folder in the "My Documents" folder which is (ofcourse) excluded from the Sequence. Other then that only the following is excluded:

<MOREINFO DESCRIPTION="The unsupported shell extensions detected are as follows:">

<ITEM DESCRIPTION="HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\AS400System\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers"/>

<ITEM DESCRIPTION="HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\AS400System\ShellEx\PropertySheetHandlers"/>

<ITEM DESCRIPTION="HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Drive\ShellEx\DragDropHandlers"/>
    <ITEM DESCRIPTION="HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Printers\ShellEx\ContextMenuHandlers"/>

But in my oppinion this should not be something that will block the functions of the application itself (since this is drag/drop handler for the seperate file transfer client...)..

But correct me if i'm wrong ofc.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 3:30 PM
  • Hello,

When installing that component - what files and registry keys are laid down?
    /Znack
    Wednesday, August 31, 2011 3:48 PM
  • Normally the component is installed with all the other components at once...

Since is after office closing hours now I can't verify the files it installs for that particular at the moment. I'll do that first thing tomorrow morning...

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 5:58 PM
  • I installed the application on our sequencing vm again. This time without the SSL option. I added the SSL option in a second run. It only puts some files on c:\program files\IBM\gsk7. Unfortunately

All the files that are installed there are included into the sequence (i checked).

Just to clarify our test cases:

1. The resulting Sequence will not run correctly on any other system with the App-V client. The system states that the SSL option is not installed.

2. When opening the sequence for either upgrade or update on a fresh sequencing VM, the application works as intended. This does not have to be the same workstation name we had during the sequencing process.

3. Extracting the Sequence to the sequencing system before starting to package also results in a working application.

Running Procmon inside the bubble during the testing on the App-V client does not reveal any error messages (like NOT_FOUND, DENIED, FAILURE etc.). The frustrating part is that I know that all the required files are present within the Sequence (because extracting it or opening it for update results in a functioning application). But i really have no idea anymore where to look for a solution on this one...

"Error in keyboard or no keyboard present. Press F1 to continue..."
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 12:17 PM
  • Hello,

Using PROCMON I very rarely look for any errors - most often its a tool to understand what resources (such as what registry key and files) an application needs  to operate.

Using the sequencer to test is probably a test in vain - it actually lays down registry keys and files within the operating system.

Have you mapped out resources the application uses just before it fails?

/Znack
    Sunday, September 18, 2011 8:11 AM
  • Have you checked there isn't any hardcoded paths etc. in INI files, XML files or other such places?

It may be that on a Sequencer machine (even if it's not the same) environment conditions matches somehow for possible hardcoded paths (are you using identically named account when sequencing i.e. local administrator?) but on a client they do not; generally that would be user-account specific paths.

best regards,
    Kalle Saunamäki
    Thursday, September 22, 2011 1:17 PM
  • I really suggest you don't sequence this product.

This application is as close to middleware as it comes, It has custom ODBC drivers used for queries, custom drivers for sending to and from the iSeries and plugs into office using addins.

You may satisfy 40-50% of the users with a sequenced copy, but the "full suite" users will not be happy without the proprietary driver components of this application set.

Friday, September 23, 2011 9:53 AM
  • Hello,

Did you determine what resources it was using before it fails - using PROCMON?
    /Znack
    Sunday, November 6, 2011 8:38 PM
  • I had many issues on WIN2008R2, but eventually found a solution: http://geertvanhove.wordpress.com/2011/12/08/ibm-client-access-v7r1/
    Friday, December 16, 2011 3:14 PM
  • Hello,

I think you can forget to sequence the FULL Install if the users need every little Details and EXE that is on the software...

a) The smaller user may use a freeware Terminal Emulator like tn5250.001

The user who need to transfer files, Print, Make ODBC 32/64BIT, Want Links from their Desktop to Session etc. Don't forget the large amount of Executables which come with the full install. And when i thought i had it the user wanted exact the EXE which was not working fully and handed over some paramter to anther EXE.

> Install the full or Deploy with Software Deployment (Hire the guy back who did that ;-) > I Like this little detail...

I have spent some time trying to finish V6R1M0 64BIT Version on Windows 7 64BIT SEQ 4.6 SP1. The Navigator is working, File Transfer from and to the AS400 but exact what they need to generate some kind of Favorites "Session Manager" "Sitzung Starten oder Konfigurieren" we have a smaller error. The user can generate Shortcust/Favories to his sessions there (Or lets say it does not keep them). If you close the windows and re open the favorites are gone. If you try to import it asks if you want to overwrite. So act. he has the info just does not display it.

We tried to link diffrent Shortcut for the Favorites Files (*.WS) to diffrent executables and find out how they handle the files.

Also while trying to install into q:\as400.001 i have an error while installing during the seq (c:\windows\system32\cwbzzodb.dll) could not register 14001.

This seems just a "Non default paht" issue so it already starts there.

ALso on the sequencer machine we have an error (CA400RES.DLL / CWBNL020 - ).

IF we install WithOUT sequencer running > OK

IF we install With sequencer running > We see this error

Files were copied localy from share and installed from c:\drivers\as400

Thursday, July 19, 2012 12:14 PM
  • Have anyone got working solution for this SSL component missing -problem ?

We noticed same problems and tried to solve it different ways, but no solution yet.

(Older version of this software and Softgrid works well.)

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 9:56 AM
  • Hello,

Does the issue occur with the latest version of the sequencer? (4.6 SP2 or 5.0 SP1)

If so, why not sequence it with "softgrid" and just reuse the package?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Tuesday, August 20, 2013 11:54 AM
  • Anybody got solution?

SG does not support x64, what is our req. (app is 64bit). Tested also with 4.6SP3, still error occurs.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 8:53 AM
  • I tried sequence with AppV5 SP2 HF4 and sequencer stops error -

Package complete -dialog: Invalid manifest detected

"The sequencer detected that the package was created without a valid manifest. This package cannot be published"

Well it save the package but, if i try open this package with sequencer again, the sequencer crashes :) Nothing unusual appears in log-files or events.

...So little issues, i think ;)

Thursday, November 13, 2014 6:27 PM
  • Hi,

just to clearify: are you talking about IBM iSeries as well?

There are some search results on 'App-V Sequencer Invalid Manifest', including

http://packageology.com/2014/08/sometimes-fix-crashing-sequencer-imgburn-recipe/ and https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/224ab8d8-2eb3-4e65-8d75-5aa072de4314/appv-5-invalid-manifest-detected.

Not sure if that helps you any further, but both links also contain troubleshooting tips.

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |   Blog kirxblog   |   Web kirx.org   |   Fireside appvbook.com

Friday, November 14, 2014 7:03 AM
  • I was able to stop the crashing sequencer issue with iSeries by adjusting the ProgIDs before closing the monitoring session (as described in my post Falko just linked to), but I still encountered issues trying to launch the application on the client. We went with an MSI deployment for this in the end, but perhaps you may have better luck if you have a different version!

Saturday, November 15, 2014 5:52 PM
  • HI Add the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes in the exclusion list.

as this the reason for  making the sequencer to get crash and for Invalid manifest detected.

after sequencing your app, copy the sytemX86 files to Local SYSWOW64 from Root.

hope this help... :)

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 6:28 AM
  • HI Add the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes in the exclusion list.

as this the reason for  making the sequencer to get crash and for Invalid manifest detected.

after sequencing your app, copy the sytemX86 files to Local SYSWOW64 from Root.

hope this help... :)

I would not recommend this. Excluding the entire classes key will break COM objects and file associations, and if you're going to copy a load of dlls to the local SysWow64 folder you may as well just install the whole app locally. The invalid manifest error can be fixed by tweaking the registry as previously mentioned, and if the app has trouble locating system dlls they can be copied to the app folder in the VFS rather than the local file system.

Wednesday, December 3, 2014 8:00 AM
  • had a customer today with the exact same issue.

After some troubleshooting (procmon et cetera) i found out that the following registry value "stops" processing of the virtual registry keys and then some important reg keys are missing inside the bubble

The registry value has some really strange "character" at the end which seems to be the root of the problem.

Deleting this registry value has no known side effect and ssl is working well now:

Package Sequenced on x86:

HKLM\Software\IBM\Client Access\CurrentVersion\LogLocation

Package Sequenced on x64:

HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\IBM\Client Access\CurrentVersion\LogLocation

If you need a more technical explaination just tell me

• Proposed as answer by dilorenzo1987 Thursday, December 11, 2014 3:10 PM
    Wednesday, December 10, 2014 11:46 AM