none
Running as administrator

Question

• I am having an issue with running installer "exe" as administrator.

Open cmd as admin application fails. Right click and run as admin fails.

Right click/Compatibility/Privilege Level Run this program as an Administrator WORKS?

Can someone explain the difference?

Thank you.

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 7:31 PM

Answers

• > setup.exe. With Right click run as an admin it fails. But with Right
    > click/Compatibility/Privilege Level Run this program as an Administrator
    > WORKS.

I'm not an expert with UAC, but I slightly remember that elevation works
    different for child programs, depending on how you elevated...

Monday, February 01, 2016 4:56 PM
  • Hi,

I think that some older programs were not designed for the UAC permission approval and it may be required for them to Run as administrator in Compatibility Mode.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 03, 2016 8:28 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Below is the difference between "Run as administrator" from Context Menu and "Run as administrator" in Compatibility Mode Properties:

"Run as administrator" from Context Menu: This option will only temporarily run the program as an administrator until closed.

Set "Run as administrator" in Compatibility Mode Properties: This option will have the program set to either always or not run as an administrator when opened for only your account or all users.

Additionally, compatibility settings are applied on executable itself. Once you select program to be run as administrator in compatibility mode, all instances, regardless of shortcut you use, will run as administrator.

Article for your reference:

Configure Applications to Always Run as an Administrator

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff431742.aspx

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, January 27, 2016 6:58 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Friday, January 29, 2016 7:29 AM
  • Sorry for not responding sooner. The issue I have: I am trying to run a setup.exe. With Right click run as an admin it fails. But with Right click/Compatibility/Privilege Level Run this program as an Administrator WORKS.

Is there something inside the installer that is looking for more rights? I have never seen this before.

Monday, February 01, 2016 3:14 PM
  • > setup.exe. With Right click run as an admin it fails. But with Right
    > click/Compatibility/Privilege Level Run this program as an Administrator
    > WORKS.

I'm not an expert with UAC, but I slightly remember that elevation works
    different for child programs, depending on how you elevated...

Monday, February 01, 2016 4:56 PM
  • Hi,

I think that some older programs were not designed for the UAC permission approval and it may be required for them to Run as administrator in Compatibility Mode.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Wednesday, February 03, 2016 8:28 AM