none
Anyone seeing issues with the April updates KB3147461 and KB3147458? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Folks!

We're back for another round! Our conversation on the subject of the March updates was really successful, and I'm hoping we can get as much done now that the April updates are in the pipe.

I'll be watching this thread for the next week or so (longer if the discussion keeps going) so please let me know if you see any issues with the April updates (KB3147461 and KB3147458).

As mentioned on the previous thread, I may want to break this out into multiple threads depending on the issues that show up. If I do so, I'll post links to those threads here and always mention the KB numbers so the threads will be easy to find.

I'm looking forward to working with you again. Thanks in advance!

John W [MSFT]

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 4:21 PM

All replies

• Why are there no release details about the contents of these updates, or any of the April updates?
    Tuesday, April 12, 2016 6:44 PM
  • https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3147461

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3147458

I believe those are the links. Not visible in a search yet perhaps (I have an old link and change the number)

• Proposed as answer by jwdavidson Tuesday, April 12, 2016 11:38 PM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2016 6:58 PM
  • Thanks for the input. It has not been indexed yet which is unusual
    Tuesday, April 12, 2016 7:16 PM
  • First try (KB3147458) failed with this in SrtTrail.txt
    Root cause found:
    ---------------------------
    A recent driver installation or upgrade may be preventing the system from starting.

Repair action: System Restore
    Result: Failed. Error code =  0x1f
    Time taken = 1029703 ms

Second try with Nvidia Graphics driver disabled (since this fixed it last time) also failed "could not complete, undoing changes"

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 9:00 PM
  • Any failures noted in setup.api.dev.log?
    Tuesday, April 12, 2016 9:35 PM
  • • Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3147458).

and

• Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3154132).

both fail to install, the computer keeps restarting 5 or 6 times then when finally reboots a notification can´t intall some updates and it cycles downloading, rebooting downloading rebooting.........

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 10:12 PM
  • A number of service that should start automatically do not start until manually started. Once started these services do not continue without another manual restart after a reboot. The most problematic services are SQL Server (2008 and SQLExpress) related. Also EMET, Net.tcp Listener Adapter and Laser Jet Service. 

On checking the logs it is evident that the services all tried to start but failed to do so.  There was a failure of ESENT.dll with error 0xc0000602.

• Edited by jwdavidson Tuesday, April 12, 2016 11:45 PM
    Tuesday, April 12, 2016 11:27 PM
  • Yep!  Same old, same old!  This update broke my PC just like the last 2 cumulative patches did.  I am honestly really getting tired of this!  Why can't MS fix a permissions issue with patches!  I can no longer trust Windows updates.  I am losing faith in MS...Please get this fixed, ASAP!
    Tuesday, April 12, 2016 11:36 PM
  • Hi John,

After updating to KB3147458, my Wacom EMR stylus is no working and detected by the computer. I have tried uninstalling, reinstalling and rebooting using the drivers from the OEM website and Wacom themselves, without any success. There is no driver or device issue mentioned in Device Manager. I have a Lenovo ThinkPad Helix 20CG, and my Wacom pen is one of those based on a magnetic field, not the newer AES ones.

Please take a look and advise me on the possible solutions or workarounds.

Thank you so much!

• Edited by Wang030 Wednesday, April 13, 2016 4:12 AM
    Wednesday, April 13, 2016 4:12 AM
  • Cannot install KB3147458, same problem as with KB3140768 (rollback). Pretty sad Microsoft.
    Wednesday, April 13, 2016 11:03 AM
  • After this update, my networking breaks. I have no access to either LAN or WAN destinations. Looking at my Network adapter properties, my static IP address is missing its gateway and won't allow the address to be updated. Switching to DHCP, no access either. I thought initially my problem was NIC driver related (Intel(R) Ethernet I218-V) that maybe the update broke. I installed a known good USB Wifi adapter to test and got the same issue even though the Wifi adapter sees the AP SSID.

I attempted a Winsock fix and IP reset with no luck. Uninstalled AV (Bitdefender Total Security 2016), same result. Disabled Firewall, same result.

The only way to bring the system back online is a System restore pre-update. To test I installed the update again with no AV installed and DHCP enabled. System restarted after reporting a successful update, NIC is disconnected again. Attempted a static IP assignment, Gateway won't retain its settings as before.

For now I've deferred auto updates.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 3:00 PM
  • A number of service that should start automatically do not start until manually started. Once started these services do not continue without another manual restart after a reboot. The most problematic services are SQL Server (2008 and SQLExpress) related. Also EMET, Net.tcp Listener Adapter and Laser Jet Service. 

On checking the logs it is evident that the services all tried to start but failed to do so.  There was a failure of ESENT.dll with error 0xc0000602.

Can you upload your event logs for me? https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=6660A0E3B98E17DC!1509&authkey=!AK7uCVXl6LqpMMY&ithint=folder%2c
    Wednesday, April 13, 2016 3:58 PM
  • Hi John,

After updating to KB3147458, my Wacom EMR stylus is no working and detected by the computer. I have tried uninstalling, reinstalling and rebooting using the drivers from the OEM website and Wacom themselves, without any success. There is no driver or device issue mentioned in Device Manager. I have a Lenovo ThinkPad Helix 20CG, and my Wacom pen is one of those based on a magnetic field, not the newer AES ones.

Please take a look and advise me on the possible solutions or workarounds.

Thank you so much!

Do you see any issues in Device Manager? (Devices with an exclamation mark, etc.)
    Wednesday, April 13, 2016 3:59 PM
  • https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=DBA9197F60CD713C!5148&authkey=!AAI7CW6yoo2wxnM&ithint=file%2ccab

Seems like some downloads work (I see Sudoku landing successfully) but some don't. Can I get your logs from c:\windows\logs\CBS as well? Thanks!
    Wednesday, April 13, 2016 4:04 PM
  • Cannot install KB3147458, same problem as with KB3140768 (rollback). Pretty sad Microsoft.

I see a few cases of failure to install/rollback here. There were multiple causes for this, some that we fixed and (it seems) some that we didn't.

I'd love to see CBS logs (c:\windows\logs\CBS\*.*) for such cases. You should be able to upload them here:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=6660A0E3B98E17DC!1509&authkey=!AK7uCVXl6LqpMMY&ithint=folder%2c

We'd appreciate any help we can get in figuring this out. Thanks!

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 4:06 PM
  • I'm also having the issue linked. Uninstalling KB3147458, fixed the issue for me.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/f49f70ec-a8cd-405b-8dd1-bcbec36129d2/gpeditmsc-resource-stringrequireprivatestoreonly-referenced-in-attribute-displayname-could?forum=win10itprogeneral

Thanks, we'll dig into it. We may have some questions, if so I'll hit you up as well as the thread you've referenced. Thanks for the info!
    Wednesday, April 13, 2016 4:08 PM
  • It is the same problem as for previous update. Error 0x80070003. Could the problem be related with EFI partition? then system Windows 10 partition is not set as active.

Please take a look on that.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 4:20 PM
  • It is the same problem as for previous update. Error 0x80070003. Could the problem be related with EFI partition? then system Windows 10 partition is not set as active.

Can you upload CBS logs per my previous post? That'd help me nail it down. Thanks!
    Wednesday, April 13, 2016 4:29 PM
  • Zip of the log files are being uploaded now as requested to your OneDrive I have redone the updates on another computer with similar configuration with no issues observed. The main difference is on the second computer the upgrade to version 10586 happened normally, that is to say the upgrade on the computer with the problem did a full install of 10586, complete with creation of a Windows.Old file. Did the release manager put a bad image on the update servers that caused my problems? I was early to start the process and it took 2 hours to download from my ISP starting at 0700 EDT (+5) and then 3.75 hours for the install to complete. On the second computer with no issues I completed the upgrade including download in under 20 minutes!

I have since reverted the computer with issues to build 10240 and it has restored correctly with no further issues on service startup. However I am not able to see the update for build 10586 - need to do more work to try and get it.

Thanks
    Wednesday, April 13, 2016 4:36 PM
  • Restarted after latest update, now fails to boot.  Continuously Loops through "Preparing Automatic Repair" then "diagnosing your PC"  then to blue screen with "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart" with this error: "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL(storahci.sys) listed.

Dead in the water after this April Update.  Never had a problem with a prior update.  Anything I can do?

UPDATE** Have since created a windows 10.iso on a flashdrive and can run the recovery/repair utility after booting from that drive to troubleshoot but it cannot go back to previous build.  Just returns "we...won't be able to take you back to the previous build"

Also same error when trying to Reset PC.  No other options working from the repair utility

After 7 hours and no luck, doing a clean Windows install & rebuild...for the record, HP 2540p corei7, no problems with initial Windows 10 upgrade or with any updates since)...

• Edited by pcheval Thursday, April 14, 2016 1:10 AM
    Wednesday, April 13, 2016 5:37 PM

Can you upload CBS logs per my previous post? That'd help me nail it down. Thanks!

File uploaded: CBS_EFI_Partition.zip

Thanks

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 6:04 PM
  • https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7eb3bc23-8c7c-4e05-97bb-4f27b20a0d8c/windows-update-fails-to-install-kb3147458?forum=win10itprogeneral

kb3147458

Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Mother Board | 6GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Auzentech Forte Soundcard | Gainward Geforce GTX 560Ti "Phantom 2" 2GB (latest drivers) | Windows 7 Home Premium x64 | Corsair Ax760 Power Supply | Thermaltake Armor+ MX case

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 6:19 PM
    All sections end with [Exit status: SUCCESS]
    But perhaps of interest are these extracts:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    !    inf:                Legacy directive 'RegisterDlls' will be ignored. Code = 2222, Line = 953
    !    inf:                Found legacy RegisterDlls operation. Code = 1301
    !    inf:                Found legacy CopyFiles operation with non-system target path (C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Drs) for 'dbInstaller.exe'. Code = 1307
    !    inf:                Found legacy DelFiles operation for 'MCU.exe'. Code = 1303
    !    inf:                Found legacy AddReg operation using non-relative key (HKLM\Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\DRS). Code = 1305
    !    inf:                Found legacy DelReg operation. Code = 1302
    !    inf:                Found legacy AddReg operation defining co-installers (CoInstallers32). Code = 1304
    !    inf:                Legacy directive 'RegisterDlls' will be ignored. Code = 2222, Line = 1068
    !    inf:                Legacy directive 'RegisterDlls' will be ignored. Code = 2222, Line = 1155
    !    inf:                Legacy directive 'RegisterDlls' will be ignored. Code = 2222, Line = 1294
    !    inf:                Legacy directive 'RegisterDlls' will be ignored. Code = 2222, Line = 1387
    !    inf:                Legacy directive 'RegisterDlls' will be ignored. Code = 2222, Line = 1474
    !    inf:                Legacy directive 'RegisterDlls' will be ignored. Code = 2222, Line = 1569
    !    inf:                Legacy directive 'RegisterDlls' will be ignored. Code = 2222, Line = 1653
    !    inf:                Driver package 'nvak.inf' is NOT configurable.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    !    flq:                Copy target 'C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVSMI\MCU.exe' is also a Delete target, forcing COPYFLG_NOPRUNE.
    !    flq:                Copy target 'C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVSMI\nvdebugdump.exe' is also a Delete target, forcing COPYFLG_NOPRUNE.
    !    flq:                Copy target 'C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVSMI\nvidia-smi.1.pdf' is also a Delete target, forcing COPYFLG_NOPRUNE.
    !    flq:                Copy target 'C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVSMI\nvidia-smi.exe' is also a Delete target, forcing COPYFLG_NOPRUNE.
    !    flq:                Copy target 'C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVSMI\nvml.dll' is also a Delete target, forcing COPYFLG_NOPRUNE.
    !    flq:                Copy target 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvinfo.pb' is also a Delete target, forcing COPYFLG_NOPRUNE.
    Wednesday, April 13, 2016 6:45 PM

I'm still waiting to see one of those for this.  Also no one has mentioned seeing anything interesting in their System event log.  <eg>

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 8:01 PM
  • !    inf:                Legacy directive 'RegisterDlls' will be ignored.
    Wow.  That could be significant.  E.g. driver not being allowed to initialize its registry values?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 8:11 PM
  • Uploaded as CBS.zip.
    Wednesday, April 13, 2016 8:42 PM

Wow.  That could be significant.  E.g. driver not being allowed to initialize its registry values?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Ended up totally hosed, had to do reset PC, now at Build 10586.0
    Thursday, April 14, 2016 3:10 AM
  • KB3147458 broke gpedit.msc

Thursday, April 14, 2016 3:52 AM
  • Having the same problem as many here. KB3147458 worked fine on most of my machines but failed on one. Got to 59% then restarted, tried again, then rolled back (multiple reboots). Stuck at 10586.164.

Even tried to fix by clearing out SoftwareDistribution and downloading the standalone update from the update catalog site - same outcome.

Only differences between this machine and others (all are x64) where it worked are that this is an older laptop (Lenovo W520 with NVidia Quadro 1000M), Enterprise Edition, Domain Joined, Bitlockered C drive and Symantec Enterprise Protection AV.

Have uploaded the Setup Event Log, CBS logs and the ReportingEvents from SoftwareDistribtion.

If no fix imminent, I will try an in-place "upgrade" (re-install) including the updates - from memory, I have used this in the past to get past a stuck update like this. It obviously does takes some time and needs some post update work (things like the Windows Server Essentials Connector get uninstalled during the upgrade), but it seems reliable from past experience.

Thursday, April 14, 2016 7:08 AM
  • We're seeing issues with this month's KB3147071. Once installed, we couldn't run Azure projects locally anymore. After it was uninstalled, it worked again.

Saw a similar report on StackOverflow (towards the bottom, tho the post details another similar issue we had in Feb)

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/35391805/azure-role-not-starting-after-windows-update-10february

Thursday, April 14, 2016 1:58 PM
  • Apologies if this is not the proper place as this discussion is revolving around Windows 10 and the KBs noted above, but figured it was worth a shot.

We are seeing issues in our advanced deployment group of Windows 7 x64 ENT clients where IE crashes with a 0xc0000005 error upon launch.

We have attempted launching IE in no-add-in mode as well as uninstalling all patches that were installed in this cycle but the issue remains.

Here are event log details;

Viewfinity is a privilege management agent that we use to grant elevated permissions to users. It does appear these are related to MS16-037 since testing installing single updates on a system yields this as the culprit

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Application Error
    Date:          4/14/2016 09:07:21
    Event ID:      1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      WNYCISVC7000.bnysecurities.corp.local
    Description:
    Faulting application name: iexplore.exe, version: 11.0.9600.18283, time stamp: 0x56fc5ac7
    Faulting module name: vf_inj.dll, version: 5.5.10.82, time stamp: 0x54ec568b
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00000000000428a5
    Faulting process id: 0x2314
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d1964e93d2043b
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Program Files\Viewfinity\Agent\x64\vf_inj.dll
    Report Id: d21d76cb-0241-11e6-ac67-005056c00008
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Application Error" />
        <EventID Qualifiers="0">1000</EventID>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>100</Task>
        <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2016-04-14T13:07:21.000000000Z" />
        <EventRecordID>228245</EventRecordID>
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>WNYCISVC7000.bnysecurities.corp.local</Computer>
        <Security />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data>iexplore.exe</Data>
        <Data>11.0.9600.18283</Data>
        <Data>56fc5ac7</Data>
        <Data>vf_inj.dll</Data>
        <Data>5.5.10.82</Data>
        <Data>54ec568b</Data>
        <Data>c0000005</Data>
        <Data>00000000000428a5</Data>
        <Data>2314</Data>
        <Data>01d1964e93d2043b</Data>
        <Data>C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe</Data>
        <Data>C:\Program Files\Viewfinity\Agent\x64\vf_inj.dll</Data>
        <Data>d21d76cb-0241-11e6-ac67-005056c00008</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

Any guidance on this will be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, April 14, 2016 3:16 PM
  • Some update files are missing or have problems. We'll try to download the update again later.

Error code: (0x80073712)

The problem is only for this update

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3147458) for today update 13 April 2016.

Any other updates (including the Flash), worked out OK

I tried to get the stand alone package from this link and manually install it, got the file, and still fail in updating using standalone package

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=KB3147458

Before this error, I have no problems with any Windows Update, so this is the first time, and only this update

Anyone can help?

Thanks.

Thursday, April 14, 2016 4:02 PM
  • I am experiencing the exact same problem with KB3147458 as I did with KB3140768--acts like it is installing then reverts. I went so far as to download the stand alone install from the Microsoft Update Catalog, clean boot, disabled ALL my security software and it STILL will not install.

WHEN WILL THIS CHARADE STOP? I have other important things I need to do other than mess with flaky Microsoft software.

Thursday, April 14, 2016 4:56 PM

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

My reset of PC did not include KB...58.

Nvidia driver updates (2) crashed system with BSOD VIRTUAL_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_INTERNAL errors, hid both and KB...58.

KB...41, KB...07 and Flash installed OK. Then unhid and installed KB...58 OK. Winver is now 10586.218. Currently using a 2012 win 8.1 version of Nvidia driver (does not crash with BSOD VMMI). Need to further experiment with Nvidia driver.

Thursday, April 14, 2016 5:11 PM
  • Need to further experiment with Nvidia driver.

So, similar to what I did with my Remote printer devices problem you could see if using Base video to do the update would get you past this symptom.  Then after the update was done try to get your video device back to normal without having to deal with this (absurd) update recovery loop.  So, hopefully more control for diagnosis and workarounds for the problem area.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, April 14, 2016 5:22 PM
  • Viewfinity is a privilege management agent that we use to grant elevated permissions to users. It does appear these are related to MS16-037 since testing installing single updates on a system yields this as the culprit

Looks like you should contact the provider of that add-on for their take on this crash.   MS16-037 is a security patch so one view of this is (as usual) security trumps functionality and usability.  Finger-pointing may ensue.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, April 14, 2016 5:35 PM
  • couldn't run Azure projects locally anymore.

Sounds like ProcMon might help to devise a workaround (e.g. focusing in particular on that Safe Load Prefixes workaround that is almost working).  ProcMon could help you spot any other diagnostics that may be available that you otherwise aren't aware of.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, April 14, 2016 5:43 PM
  • Zip of the log files are being uploaded now as requested to your OneDrive I have redone the updates on another computer with similar configuration with no issues observed. The main difference is on the second computer the upgrade to version 10586 happened normally, that is to say the upgrade on the computer with the problem did a full install of 10586, complete with creation of a Windows.Old file. Did the release manager put a bad image on the update servers that caused my problems? I was early to start the process and it took 2 hours to download from my ISP starting at 0700 EDT (+5) and then 3.75 hours for the install to complete. On the second computer with no issues I completed the upgrade including download in under 20 minutes!

I have since reverted the computer with issues to build 10240 and it has restored correctly with no further issues on service startup. However I am not able to see the update for build 10586 - need to do more work to try and get it.

Thanks

I'm not aware of a bad image floating around. You event logs are clear as day, lots of service start failures and a ton of DCOM issues. Looking into it, thanks!
    Thursday, April 14, 2016 7:21 PM
  • Restarted after latest update, now fails to boot.  Continuously Loops through "Preparing Automatic Repair" then "diagnosing your PC"  then to blue screen with "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart" with this error: "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL(storahci.sys) listed.

Dead in the water after this April Update.  Never had a problem with a prior update.  Anything I can do?

UPDATE** Have since created a windows 10.iso on a flashdrive and can run the recovery/repair utility after booting from that drive to troubleshoot but it cannot go back to previous build.  Just returns "we...won't be able to take you back to the previous build"

Also same error when trying to Reset PC.  No other options working from the repair utility

After 7 hours and no luck, doing a clean Windows install & rebuild...for the record, HP 2540p corei7, no problems with initial Windows 10 upgrade or with any updates since)...

Sorry to hear it. storahci.sys is (of course!) the storage driver, which explains why you were dead in the water. :-( You didn't happen to change and BIOS settings related to storage, did you? Thanks!
    Thursday, April 14, 2016 7:24 PM

File uploaded: CBS_EFI_Partition.zip

Thanks

Got it, thanks!
    Thursday, April 14, 2016 7:24 PM
  • https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/7eb3bc23-8c7c-4e05-97bb-4f27b20a0d8c/windows-update-fails-to-install-kb3147458?forum=win10itprogeneral

kb3147458

Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Mother Board | 6GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Auzentech Forte Soundcard | Gainward Geforce GTX 560Ti "Phantom 2" 2GB (latest drivers) | Windows 7 Home Premium x64 | Corsair Ax760 Power Supply | Thermaltake Armor+ MX case

Can you send me your CBS logs? Instructions are further up on this thread. Thanks!
    Thursday, April 14, 2016 7:30 PM

All sections end with [Exit status: SUCCESS]
    But perhaps of interest are these extracts:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    !    inf:                Legacy directive 'RegisterDlls' will be ignored. Code = 2222, Line = 953
    !    inf:                Found legacy RegisterDlls operation. Code = 1301
    !    inf:                Found legacy CopyFiles operation with non-system target path (C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Drs) for 'dbInstaller.exe'. Code = 1307
    !    inf:                Found legacy DelFiles operation for 'MCU.exe'. Code = 1303
    !    inf:                Found legacy AddReg operation using non-relative key (HKLM\Software\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\DRS). Code = 1305
    !    inf:                Found legacy DelReg operation. Code = 1302
    !    inf:                Found legacy AddReg operation defining co-installers (CoInstallers32). Code = 1304
    !    inf:                Legacy directive 'RegisterDlls' will be ignored. Code = 2222, Line = 1068
    !    inf:                Legacy directive 'RegisterDlls' will be ignored. Code = 2222, Line = 1155
    !    inf:                Legacy directive 'RegisterDlls' will be ignored. Code = 2222, Line = 1294
    !    inf:                Legacy directive 'RegisterDlls' will be ignored. Code = 2222, Line = 1387
    !    inf:                Legacy directive 'RegisterDlls' will be ignored. Code = 2222, Line = 1474
    !    inf:                Legacy directive 'RegisterDlls' will be ignored. Code = 2222, Line = 1569
    !    inf:                Legacy directive 'RegisterDlls' will be ignored. Code = 2222, Line = 1653
    !    inf:                Driver package 'nvak.inf' is NOT configurable.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    !    flq:                Copy target 'C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVSMI\MCU.exe' is also a Delete target, forcing COPYFLG_NOPRUNE.
    !    flq:                Copy target 'C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVSMI\nvdebugdump.exe' is also a Delete target, forcing COPYFLG_NOPRUNE.
    !    flq:                Copy target 'C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVSMI\nvidia-smi.1.pdf' is also a Delete target, forcing COPYFLG_NOPRUNE.
    !    flq:                Copy target 'C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVSMI\nvidia-smi.exe' is also a Delete target, forcing COPYFLG_NOPRUNE.
    !    flq:                Copy target 'C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\NVSMI\nvml.dll' is also a Delete target, forcing COPYFLG_NOPRUNE.
    !    flq:                Copy target 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvinfo.pb' is also a Delete target, forcing COPYFLG_NOPRUNE.

How old is the driver you're trying to use?
    Thursday, April 14, 2016 7:35 PM
  • Thursday, April 14, 2016 7:38 PM
  • Having the same problem as many here. KB3147458 worked fine on most of my machines but failed on one. Got to 59% then restarted, tried again, then rolled back (multiple reboots). Stuck at 10586.164.

Even tried to fix by clearing out SoftwareDistribution and downloading the standalone update from the update catalog site - same outcome.

Only differences between this machine and others (all are x64) where it worked are that this is an older laptop (Lenovo W520 with NVidia Quadro 1000M), Enterprise Edition, Domain Joined, Bitlockered C drive and Symantec Enterprise Protection AV.

Have uploaded the Setup Event Log, CBS logs and the ReportingEvents from SoftwareDistribtion.

If no fix imminent, I will try an in-place "upgrade" (re-install) including the updates - from memory, I have used this in the past to get past a stuck update like this. It obviously does takes some time and needs some post update work (things like the Windows Server Essentials Connector get uninstalled during the upgrade), but it seems reliable from past experience.

Many thanks! What was the file name? There were a few uploads this morning so not sure which is which.
    Thursday, April 14, 2016 7:40 PM
  • We're seeing issues with this month's KB3147071. Once installed, we couldn't run Azure projects locally anymore. After it was uninstalled, it worked again.

Saw a similar report on StackOverflow (towards the bottom, tho the post details another similar issue we had in Feb)

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/35391805/azure-role-not-starting-after-windows-update-10february

That's a Win7 hotfix, correct? Not what we're working on with this thread but hold tight, I'll see what I can do for you. Thanks!
    Thursday, April 14, 2016 7:45 PM
  • You're right, this is a Win10 thread :-) but this sounds rough so let me check with some colleagues on this. Thanks!
    Thursday, April 14, 2016 7:46 PM
  • I am experiencing the exact same problem with KB3147458 as I did with KB3140768--acts like it is installing then reverts. I went so far as to download the stand alone install from the Microsoft Update Catalog, clean boot, disabled ALL my security software and it STILL will not install.

WHEN WILL THIS CHARADE STOP? I have other important things I need to do other than mess with flaky Microsoft software.

Can I get a copy of your CBS logs? Thanks!
    Thursday, April 14, 2016 7:48 PM
  • Hello,

It seems I'm running into some issues with KB3147458.  When installing the system never finishes and rolls back windows.  Tried several things that have caused problems before like uninstalling AVG but no luck this time.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thursday, April 14, 2016 11:01 PM

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

My reset of PC did not include KB...58.

Nvidia driver updates (2) crashed system with BSOD VIRTUAL_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_INTERNAL errors, hid both and KB...58.

KB...41, KB...07 and Flash installed OK. Then unhid and installed KB...58 OK. Winver is now 10586.218. Currently using a 2012 win 8.1 version of Nvidia driver (does not crash with BSOD VMMI). Need to further experiment with Nvidia driver.

Strange.

After the PC Reset and successful install of KB3147458, I am able to update to the 11/15/2015 version 10.18.13.5445 (Ugly Version 2.1 Build_223) Nvidia driver but only when I did it thru the Device Manager.

When I first unhid the updates and used Windows Update, it crashed.

So now I am completely up to date (nothing hid, "Your device is up to date").

Age of Empires, Castle Seige works with this driver, it does not with the old Win 8.1 driver from 2012 (the only one that did not cause VMMI BSOD previously).

Thursday, April 14, 2016 11:05 PM
  • The Flash installed on mine. Still having issues with the Cumulative Update.
    Thursday, April 14, 2016 11:07 PM
  • Add another to the list of disgruntled users experiencing failures installing KB3147458.

My computer is a Dell 13" model 7359 2-in-one purchased new last Thanksgiving with Win10 pre-installed.  I've made no HW changes.  6th gen i5 with 8Gb memory.  The only SW added are MS Office 2010 (yeah, outdated but reliable), Roxio Creator 2012 (same), Oceanic OceanLog 2.x for my SCUBA computer interface, Skype, and Norton Security.

It has successfully updated to Version 1511(OS Build 10586.104), but has repeatedly failed cumulative patches since.

Last night it successfully installed the other two April updates and twice failed KB3147458 both reporting error 0x800F0922.

• Edited by patoc Friday, April 15, 2016 1:31 AM
    Friday, April 15, 2016 12:15 AM
  • This update seems to bork my explorer.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/cumulative-update-for-windows-10-kb3147461-breaks/7e13c6ca-3b78-403e-b498-b1b941c0b36b?tm=1460688809982

Friday, April 15, 2016 2:55 AM
  • Oh this is the worst update ever. It totally killed my computer. 
    I currently have an MSI GT80 Titan SLI with dual Nvidia Geforce 980ms. Windows 10 automatically updated these accumulative updates and restarted without telling me (even though I'd changed it so that it wouldn't download over metered connections and would ask me to schedule a time to install). Not only did it cause my start button not to work, Windows store to fail, and all of my windows apps to fail, it eventually caused my computer to get the black screen of death. The only way I could get around the BkSD was to go into safe mode with command prompt, wait for 20 minutes for it to login, and then force start explorer.exe. Even then I couldn't do much to fix it. Uninstalling the update didn't help and made it so I couldn't even get into safe mode after a reboot. I finally had to do a refresh, losing all of my programs. 

What's worse is that Windows 10 deleted my restore points prior to the update for no bloody reason. 

I'm so sick of getting automatic updates from Windows that screw up my computer. 
    Friday, April 15, 2016 3:39 AM
  • Hi there,

I am getting the mandatory update on restart / shutdown - update failed rolling back cycle.
    I have uploaded my CBS files as CBS-SPK.

Hopefully those files can contribute to a solution for this.

Best regards,

Friday, April 15, 2016 11:47 AM
  • error 0x800F0922.

Try looking in the CBS.log?

This is obsolete but it is the only support reference we have

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/938205

(BING search for
        0x800F0922 update codes site:support.microsoft.com)

Notice that the code itself is not found here but enough of a clue is available for inference that it does involve CBS.

<quotes>

Error codes that the Component Based Servicing (CBS)   interface methods return

0xf0901 CBS_E_MANIFEST_VALIDATION_MULTIPLE_UPDATE_COMPONENT_ON_SAME_FAMILY_NOT_ALLOWED In a given package, only one <updateComponent> Is allowed for a component family.

</quotes>

That's the last one given for that group.  We can infer that it documents 0x800F0901.  It doesn't even have one for one we can hypothesize from the pattern in the other groups

0x800F0FFF  CBS_E_UNEXPECTED An operation failed due to reasons not covered by another error code.

Fortunately BING makes use of partial information and so with another search we can find what this particular code means (for example)

(BING search for
        CBS_E_ 0x800F0922
    )

<quote>

2014-02-15 21:29:18, Error  CBS    Startup: Failed to process advanced operation queue, startupPhase: 0.  A rollback transaction will be created. [HRESULT = 0x800f0922 - CBS_E_INSTALLERS_FAILED]
    </quote>

So clearly 0x800F0922 isn't the real error, just a report of one.  You need to dig deeper into the other diagnostics to know what your real problem is.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, April 15, 2016 1:21 PM
  • I upgraded from 8.1 directly to 10586.218 on my AT&T Lumia 1520 via Insider Release Preview ring, then did a hard reset and restored from backup. As usual, I had to retype the passwords of my non-Gmail e-mail addresses and authenticate the Gmail ones via the page. However, to my surprise, I now encounter error "Your browser is not supported anymore" (on what looks like a browser page), which doesn't allow me to even enter the user name. I tried adding as a new Gmail address and get the same error. How can I work around this? How are you supposed to add a Gmail account on Windows 10? I simply cannot add new Gmail accounts now or even restore the ones that came with my backup. They all ask to be fixed, but I get this error whenever I try to fix them. By the way, I also tried going into the Edge browser settings and changing it to Dektop page instead of Mobile page and then, adding the Gmail account again. Same error. Please help!
    Friday, April 15, 2016 7:11 PM
  • May or may not be related I show 9 failed installs of

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3147458)

one succesful install, and it still wants to install it again.

When I switch from metered connection to unmetered connection, CPU usage goes to 100% and Bandwidth usage goes to 100% of available being used for download (however a reporting bug shows it as 2% of available bandwitdh being usage in the task manager).

The amount of time that I had it on unmetered and the bandwidth usage and CPU usage were pegged is consistent with the 9 failed installs (ie it downloads it, fails to install, redownloads it...)

The successful install is consistent with a manual download when set to metered connection.

• Edited by LetterRip Friday, April 15, 2016 9:21 PM
    Friday, April 15, 2016 9:13 PM
  • one succesful install, and it still wants to install it again.

You need to distinguish between "installed" and "applied".  An update can be installed but not applied if the Restart needed to apply protected, in-use modules does not accomplish that objective.  So probably you have an interferer active that you might have to uninstall in order for the apply phase to complete as designed.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, April 15, 2016 9:34 PM
  • "Your browser is not supported anymore"
    Typically means that a site does not recognize and misinterprets a User-Agent string.  Unfortunately many sites have as a default that unrecognized UAS are assumed to be from obsolete browsers when in fact it may be better to assume that they are full capability browsers.  If your WP has the equivalent of the Developer Tools you could try changing to a different User-Agent string to try to change your symptom.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, April 15, 2016 9:41 PM
  • How do you confirm if it was applied?

The log says "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3147458) Successfully installed on 4/15/2016"

Did a complete restart and it said it was successful etc.

It now is no longer showing as a pending update and the bandwidth and CPU usage no longer happen when I switch to non metered connection.  So 'fixed' apparently.

• Edited by LetterRip Friday, April 15, 2016 10:53 PM
    Friday, April 15, 2016 10:27 PM
  • How do you confirm if it was applied?

Right click on Start, bring up Command Prompt, type "winver", "About Windows" should say "Version 1511 (OS Build 10586.218).
    Saturday, April 16, 2016 12:24 AM
  • Did a complete restart and it said it was successful etc.

Then generate the relevant WindowsUpdate.log to try to see what was happening.  E.g. it is not enough for an update to be installed and applied once; it has to stay applied (or be superseded).  So, for example, if even one module in the update's File Information list was getting backleveled or corrupted (somehow) the update would be re-applied.  Do you have any system mods installed?  Perhaps the sequence you saw was just the interval needed to make them compatible.  Etc.

Thanks for sharing your resolution.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, April 16, 2016 4:57 AM
  • Hi there,

I am getting the mandatory update on restart / shutdown - update failed rolling back cycle.
    I have uploaded my CBS files as CBS-SPK.

Hopefully those files can contribute to a solution for this.

Best regards,

So I tried:
    - Uninstall security software
    - Clear C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder
    - Set selective startup to system services only
    - Download update again
    - Install & reboot

Same result, cannot complete installation, rolling back.
    Still stuck in update & rollback with every restart of my laptop.
    Files are uploaded, I hope you can find a solution soon.

Saturday, April 16, 2016 10:25 AM
  • So I tried:

Including MBAM?  If not, see if that changes your symptom regarding both its mention in Filterlist.log and [HRESULT = 0x8007000d - ERROR_INVALID_DATA]

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, April 16, 2016 11:15 AM
  • @ gerelmx

Your ReportingEvents.log makes me think you could have an interferer active.

{7EA2B3F2-907F-4349-909E-246662A9FEF3} 2016-04-13 08:37:20:626-0500 1 161 [AGENT_DOWNLOAD_FAILED] 101 {34515DF7-3D11-4FA9-98AD-77C6F0DAFC2A} 205 8000ffff UpdateOrchestrator Failure Content Download Error: Download failed.

Try doing the downloads and installs manually?

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, April 16, 2016 11:32 AM
  • My friend bought a new Dell Inspiron 13 7000 at Costco last week, running Windows 10 Home.  When we first started it, all was good.  After it took Windows Updates, it had no sound (running some sort of Conexant sound card).  After many hours of troubleshooting, I tracked the problem down to KB3147461.  Looking at the contents of the updates, I don't see anything that would affect the sound, but it does.  I also noticed that there was an update to upgrade Win 10 Home to version 1511, 10586, but after all the updates were loaded, it was still running an older version (10240).  I clicked to check for new updates, and that one was no longer listed, but not loaded either.  I cannot provide any logs, as I gave the computer back to him.

I advised him to get one with Win 10 Pro, so we can downgrade to Win 8.1.  If I thought he could re-learn on a Mac, I would switch him over, because this is one of the worst experiences I have ever had with Windows (this includes the torturous process of uncovering all the updates in Win10 - I mean seriously, having to download an obscure app to uncover hidden updates?).  I'm no IT pro, but I've owned PCs since the 1980s, and I'm reasonably savvy.  If it matters, I also let Dell tech support, and Costco Concierge services have a go at it, and they were no help at all.  I narrowed it down to the KB out of sheer stubbornness.

Saturday, April 16, 2016 2:31 PM
  • I am having issues with this update too. Almost immediately after the update was installed my machine began to freeze, requiring me to press the hardware reset button. A reboot would then get me back to where I was but within a few minutes (sometimes immediately after logon) it would freeze again.

After uninstalling the update my machine is now stable again. I have configured windows updates to be deferred and to schedule a restart instead of automatically applying the update, however I see that now the update has been rescheduled to be installed again and I am unable to switch it off completely. The latest date I can defer this to is 22 April.

Sunday, April 17, 2016 11:01 AM
  • Was never successful with KB3140745 and now have the same issue with KB30147461. CBS log uploaded as "CBS-KB3147461-evollo". After reboot installation continues for a time, stuggles, and then reverts. 

Sunday, April 17, 2016 4:08 PM
  • The entire Pershing Netx360 desktop system is down many of 100's of thousands of users since the update. At least those using Windows 10

Individual reps reporting to brokerage support lines from their almost 1000 dealers they clear for. 

Online system works but is not as complete or as easy to use as desktop versions many reps use. 

Broker support says Pershing IT trying to fix it but was MS KB3147461/KB3147458 that is the issue.  Our IT trying to help reps roll back the batch.  I major issue with a critical brokerage program for many.

Monday, April 18, 2016 12:09 AM
  • Deleted
    Monday, April 18, 2016 3:36 PM
  • Tried already 4 times with disabled Antivir etc.

Often disabling an interferer is not enough.  They may have to be fully uninstalled to avoid the effects of their interference.

"sfc /scannow" did not find any issues.

What about DISM?

Update always stops at 59% and then says update cannot be completed and undo the changes.

Have you looked at your logs to find out why?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, April 18, 2016 3:57 PM
  • "CBS-KB3147461-evollo". After reboot

Was the reboot done on your timing or the update's?

2016-04-17 08:50:51, Info                  CBS    Exec: Staging Package: Package_1145_for_KB3147461~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.1.6, Update: 3147461-4112_neutral, MarkDeploymentStaged: amd64_9857883d060aecb32eab08fd9f5b7763_31bf3856ad364e35_10.0.10240.16515_none_97fdfdfbbe57d54a
    2016-04-17 08:51:01, Info                  CBS    Exec: This is a PSF Package.  Job has been saved and we are returning to client.

Otherwise this 10 second gap before the update is abandoned(?) seems interesting.   FWIW I doubt that there is anything significant about  "Package_1145" but I don't have KB3147461 in my log to know for sure.

At first I thought it might have been some of the unusual messages you can find in your log earlier but I found the same kind of thing in mine (and more) so obviously those would have been red herrings.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Seems  "PSF Package"  is rather rare

(BING search for
       +"PSF Package" site:microsoft.com
    )

Documentation about "Patch Storage File" even rarer.

My guess would be that either the file being downloaded would be corrupt (unlikely) or it was corrupted in the downloading (e.g. by an interferer--more likely)

Monday, April 18, 2016 4:23 PM
  • Questions Microsoft SHOULD be asking (when a user reports cumulative update fails). 
    1. What is your Hardware ? 
    2. What is your software ? 
    Then if the update has not been tested on that hwd / sft combo, they should go out and get it for their Windows 10 testing lab. 
    There is a Windows 10 testing Lab isn't there ? 
    Monday, April 18, 2016 8:36 PM
  • Add another to the list of disgruntled users experiencing failures installing KB3147458.

My computer is a Dell 13" model 7359 2-in-one purchased new last Thanksgiving with Win10 pre-installed.  I've made no HW changes.  6th gen i5 with 8Gb memory.  The only SW added are MS Office 2010 (yeah, outdated but reliable), Roxio Creator 2012 (same), Oceanic OceanLog 2.x for my SCUBA computer interface, Skype, and Norton Security.

It has successfully updated to Version 1511(OS Build 10586.104), but has repeatedly failed cumulative patches since.

Last night it successfully installed the other two April updates and twice failed KB3147458 both reporting error 0x800F0922.

This is another case where CBS logs would be great. Unfortunately that error code is... unhelpful (it translates to "CBS_E_INSTALLERS_FAILED"). Can you upload those to my OneDrive as discussed in this thread? Thanks!
    Monday, April 18, 2016 9:12 PM
  • This update seems to bork my explorer.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-performance/cumulative-update-for-windows-10-kb3147461-breaks/7e13c6ca-3b78-403e-b498-b1b941c0b36b?tm=1460688809982

We think we're making some headway on this one, but would love to know if you are either seeing:

1. Anything (DCOM especially) taking up a lot CPU time, or

2. Errors in the System event log

Thanks!

Monday, April 18, 2016 9:15 PM
  • Thanks, I'll add them to the analysis!
    Monday, April 18, 2016 9:16 PM
  • I upgraded from 8.1 directly to 10586.218 on my AT&T Lumia 1520 via Insider Release Preview ring, then did a hard reset and restored from backup. As usual, I had to retype the passwords of my non-Gmail e-mail addresses and authenticate the Gmail ones via the page. However, to my surprise, I now encounter error "Your browser is not supported anymore" (on what looks like a browser page), which doesn't allow me to even enter the user name. I tried adding as a new Gmail address and get the same error. How can I work around this? How are you supposed to add a Gmail account on Windows 10? I simply cannot add new Gmail accounts now or even restore the ones that came with my backup. They all ask to be fixed, but I get this error whenever I try to fix them. By the way, I also tried going into the Edge browser settings and changing it to Dektop page instead of Mobile page and then, adding the Gmail account again. Same error. Please help!

Not sure I follow 100% but I'd like to help. Can you post some screencaps? Thanks!
    Monday, April 18, 2016 9:20 PM
  • May or may not be related I show 9 failed installs of

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3147458)

one succesful install, and it still wants to install it again.

When I switch from metered connection to unmetered connection, CPU usage goes to 100% and Bandwidth usage goes to 100% of available being used for download (however a reporting bug shows it as 2% of available bandwitdh being usage in the task manager).

The amount of time that I had it on unmetered and the bandwidth usage and CPU usage were pegged is consistent with the 9 failed installs (ie it downloads it, fails to install, redownloads it...)

The successful install is consistent with a manual download when set to metered connection.

I'm not sure why it wants to install again since you did manage to install it successfully. Does it show any useful error information?

As to the 9 failures, are they definitely install failures or are they download failures? It seems odd to me that an install failure would result in the package being redownloaded (but stranger things have happened!)

Thanks!

Monday, April 18, 2016 9:22 PM
  • Was never successful with KB3140745 and now have the same issue with KB30147461. CBS log uploaded as "CBS-KB3147461-evollo". After reboot installation continues for a time, stuggles, and then reverts. 

Got it, thanks!
    Monday, April 18, 2016 9:25 PM
  • The entire Pershing Netx360 desktop system is down many of 100's of thousands of users since the update. At least those using Windows 10

Individual reps reporting to brokerage support lines from their almost 1000 dealers they clear for. 

Online system works but is not as complete or as easy to use as desktop versions many reps use. 

Broker support says Pershing IT trying to fix it but was MS KB3147461/KB3147458 that is the issue.  Our IT trying to help reps roll back the batch.  I major issue with a critical brokerage program for many.

Can you provide details on what's failing, i.e. error messages, screen caps, etc.? Thanks!
    Monday, April 18, 2016 9:34 PM
  • Questions Microsoft SHOULD be asking (when a user reports cumulative update fails). 
    1. What is your Hardware ? 
    2. What is your software ? 
    Then if the update has not been tested on that hwd / sft combo, they should go out and get it for their Windows 10 testing lab. 
    There is a Windows 10 testing Lab isn't there ? 

Your instincts are good. That tends to be our line of questioning any time there's a hardware or software angle to things. (I used to spend a lot of time in the hardware areas of the Windows Insiders forums and I asked those questions constantly.) But except for a few cases, most of the problems with the April updates aren't actually related to third-party hardware or software, so my line of questioning has been more around getting logs and dumps.

Love your thought process on this. Keep me on my toes, okay? :-)

Monday, April 18, 2016 9:38 PM
  • So I tried:

Including MBAM?  If not, see if that changes your symptom regarding both its mention in Filterlist.log and [HRESULT = 0x8007000d - ERROR_INVALID_DATA]

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thanks for the suggestion.
    I did not realize I had it installed, as I do not run it at boot.
    Uninstalling that did do something, I am now stuck at 93% before rolling back, so I have won a few %.
    I will try a more aggressive uninstall of my other security software now and try again.
    If that does not help, I will upload the most recent CBS files.

Update:
    No luck...
    - I uninstalled both MBAM and CIS.
    - Tried installing the update and got stuck at 93% before the rollback

- Run troubleshooter for Windows update, that stated ¨fixed some things, try again¨
    - Tried installing the update and got stuck at 88% before the rollback

I have uploaded a new set of CBS files (CBS_SPK_2).

Would running the Media Creation Tool help? Seems a bit like shooting a cannon at a fly, but this is getting a bit of a hassle now.
    Or does anyone have other suggestions how to fix this?

Anything with cleaning the registry with CCleaner perhaps?
    • Edited by Spike_tm Tuesday, April 19, 2016 9:55 AM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2016 7:11 AM
  • Question
    You cannot vote on your own post

I have a desktop PC running Win10 (upgraded from Win7 in July 2015).

Has worked fine until 14th April then it booted up to a message saying "Recovery - Your PC couldn't start properly" with an error code 0xc000000f.

So did all the normally Recovery stuff to no avail. The Recovery options (even MediaBuilder gets so far then end up with the same message. The Upgrade/preserve option wants to run from a working copy of Windows.

I can boot off an Acronis recovery CD and have subsequently backed up the hard drive as an extra precaution to preserve my data.  Unfortunately the Acronis backup I want to restore is not available. And before that is too far back to recover my data / programs without a lot of work to bring it back up to date. The issue is a very large video editing/database suite that will have to be updated/configured and then the database rebuilt. 

I started to carry out a clean install by swapping in a disk drive from a laptop I upgraded recently with a larger hard drive. To my surprise it worked perfectly without any intervention by me (just drivers automatically updated) so I know the hardware is working. Using the MediaBuilder I then opened a command window and can see from the logs that a Win10 update was carried out on the 12th and 13th April. My most recent backup was carried out on the 14th April after which the system rebooted and all the problems started.

I can access the C: drive with no problem and have run chkdsk /f which unfortunately did not fix the problem. This is not the same issue as reported previously with SSD drives. (Both existing and swapped in drive are SSDs).

It appears to be that a Windows update (KB3147461) has corrupted its own drivers/boot process in the April 12th Update.

Tried the 'upgrade' route. Downloaded MediaBuilder, built media onto USB stick, booted up on USB stick, get to the 'Upgrade' or 'Custom' option, select 'Upgrade' only to be informed that the 'Upgrade' has to be run from within a running copy of Windows.

The issue is that the 'update' KB3147461 has corrupted Windows boot process so I cannot start Windows to rollback the change or reinstall anything. I know there is nothing physically wrong with the PC because I swapped in a hard drive from a laptop which then worked fine with no other intervention from me. When I checked the laptop drive had failed to install KB3147461, which was fortunate.

Unfortunately Windows 10 is disinclined to fix its own problem. I am trying to find out if I can roll back the update without Windows running. Or to simply delete the corrupted drivers to force Windows to reinstall ?

I don't really want to do a clean install, just repair the existing installation. So any suggestions (apart from check your backups are valid) ?

Suggestion for the Update process.

1. Allow user to say "Carry up upgrades on Saturday at 2am local time or similar" - I have had upgrades forced upon me during presentations which stop everything working until a reboot is carried out. Not very impressive for an independent contractor.

2. Do not download or attempt to carry out updates whilst the PC is in use, in presentation mode or displaying/playing videos/pictures or music. It is very irritating.

3. Do not download or attempt to carry out updates whilst the PC is carrying out a backup using third party or Windows software. It corrupts the backup rendering it useless.

Thanks

Steve

• Edited by Steve Mess Tuesday, April 19, 2016 7:29 AM
    Tuesday, April 19, 2016 7:28 AM
  • - I uninstalled both MBAM and CIS.

Looks like you still have two that I don't have.  From your Filterlist.log

MBAMProtector               3               0
                                    cmdGuard               3               0

I wonder if that means there would be logs available for those, e.g. to find out what they are doing?

At least your latest code is documented (provided you don't search for the one you are shown):

0xf0826 CBS_E_PENDING_VICTIM Package failed to install because another pended package failed.

Above that there are a lot more new messages indicating that the registry may be a bit messed up.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 1:11 PM
  • Hi Steve,

This is the first case I've seen of that particular error. My line of thinking goes to, is there anything unusual about this PC, for example a third-party boot loader, encryption tool etc.?

Also, at what point in the boot process does this error occur? Early on or just before login? Does it present as a Blue Screen of Death or just an error that throws you into recovery?

Have you tried booting from A Windows 10 USB key and running a repair of the drive that won't boot?

Thanks,

John

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 5:13 PM
  • KB3147458 bricked my machine. Like the March cumulative update, my computer would never progress past the dotted spinning wheel during restart. However, with this April update, I couldn't even get system restore to work or boot into safe mode. The only thing that worked was wiping the machine and going back to the factory settings. I spent 6-7 hours on Sunday just reinstalling everything, and needless to say, I have never been this frustrated with a MS product before.

And now, despite having put it on a metered connection, I found out this morning that my computer re-downloaded KB3147458. I'm terrified of turning my computer off least I have to reinstall Windows on it again. 

For reference, I have Lenovo Thinkpad 450s. 

Tuesday, April 19, 2016 6:22 PM

I wonder if that means there would be logs available for those, e.g. to find out what they are doing?

At least your latest code is documented (provided you don't search for the one you are shown):

0xf0826 CBS_E_PENDING_VICTIM Package failed to install because another pended package failed.

Above that there are a lot more new messages indicating that the registry may be a bit messed up.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

I did some ¨creative tweaking¨ in the registry, that actually got me up to 98% before it decided to rollback again. But that messed up other things. So now I did a system restore to get things back to how they were two days ago, before I messed with the registry.
    Trying a full media creation tool image instalation now while keeping the files. Let´s see if that works.
    Tuesday, April 19, 2016 7:11 PM
  • Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80071AB0: Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3147458).

This happens everyday since it tries to apply the patch everyday and reboot.

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 12:48 AM
  • KB3147458 fails to install and rolls back.  I've uploaded the CBS log as les-m-cbs.zip
    Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:34 AM
  • error 0x80071AB0

PS C:\> net helpmsg (0x1AB0)

This object is not allowed to be opened in a transaction.

Looks like you will have to do some digging to find out what "This object" is.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 3:53 AM
  • The updates caused Windows Store (and most W10 apps) to fail on both my systems.  Wsreset got things working again on one system, but didn't help on the other.
    Wednesday, April 20, 2016 2:45 PM
  • Hello

Unfortunately we have big troubles with our CIC Interaction Intelligence client in version 2015. Windows 10 1511 version is not supported in our version. But the worse this is that when I uninstall and hide this update, I lost access to any DFS shares (even netlogon). So, no access to shared folders, logon scripts, group policy processing.Next installation fixed that issue. So, we are looking any way to work around this case.

We can see that message : (80040045) An unexpected error occurred while communicating with the server. Thanks

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 3:06 PM
  •  CBS log as les-m-cbs.zip

Looks like WU got lost "skipping package" or processing its "watchlist"

2016-04-15 21:44:04, Info                  CBS    Plan: Skipping package since its start state and target state are both absent for package: Package_1276_for_KB3147458~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~~10.0.1.4, current: Absent, pending: Default, start: Absent, applicable: Absent, targeted: Absent, limit: Staged
    2016-04-15 21:44:04, Info                  CBS    Plan: Start to process package watchlist.

That is the only occurrence of the word "watchlist" in the log.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 3:46 PM
  • Wednesday, April 20, 2016 4:45 PM
  • That's a new one. :-/

Can you ZIP up your c:\windows\logs\CBS\*.* and put it on my One Drive for analysis?

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=6660A0E3B98E17DC!1509&authkey=!AK7uCVXl6LqpMMY&ithint=folder%2czip

Thanks!

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 4:47 PM
  • Hello

Unfortunately we have big troubles with our CIC Interaction Intelligence client in version 2015. Windows 10 1511 version is not supported in our version. But the worse this is that when I uninstall and hide this update, I lost access to any DFS shares (even netlogon). So, no access to shared folders, logon scripts, group policy processing.Next installation fixed that issue. So, we are looking any way to work around this case.

We can see that message : (80040045) An unexpected error occurred while communicating with the server. Thanks

Do you mean Interactive Intelligence? We spoke to them and they are working on a fix on their end. I suggest you give them a call. Thanks!
    Wednesday, April 20, 2016 4:54 PM
  • That's a new one. :-/

@ John

Anyone who is viewing this thread without the thread view won't know who you are responding to (unless they use &outputAs=XML).   <eg>

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 5:13 PM
  • Hi John

I'm getting a failure and rollback when installing KB3147458.  The Event Viewer is reporting the error 0x800F0922, which you mentioned to someone else was not very useful.

I have uploaded my CBS logs to the OneDrive location you linked to.

Thanks for any help

Friday, April 22, 2016 3:15 AM

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

I did some ¨creative tweaking¨ in the registry, that actually got me up to 98% before it decided to rollback again. But that messed up other things. So now I did a system restore to get things back to how they were two days ago, before I messed with the registry.
    Trying a full media creation tool image instalation now while keeping the files. Let´s see if that works.

So system restore do undo the harm done to the registry.
    - Troubleshooter for Windows update
    - Finally getting COMODO and MBAM 100% removed
    - scf /scannow
    - Dism checks shows it should be possible to repair the image, but have tried try run repair with online and with local image on USB created by Media Creation Tool and it throws up an error as shown in the CBS file.
    I cannot get past 98% completion rate with the Windows update.
    Latest CBS log, with Dism check results uploaded as CBS_SPK3

I am running out of ideas here.

*I used my old laptop, with COMODO fully active, to create the USB and I have run the update on that one without any issue.
    Friday, April 22, 2016 10:27 AM
  • - Dism checks shows it should be possible to repair the image, but have tried try run repair with online and with local image on USB created by Media Creation Tool and it throws up an error as shown in the CBS file.

That's just the opencl.dll  thing.  It just means that we can't rely on DISM scans without checking for that case.

I haven't got back that far in your log yet.   We need a Message Analyzer scanner for this to cut through the clutter there.   "Primitive installers committed for repair"?   It looks like your WinSxS is getting more and more tied in knots.

Have you tried a manual update instead of using WU?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, April 22, 2016 11:43 AM
  • I cannot get past 98% completion rate with the Windows update.

Line 51289.   Looks very similar to  les-m-cbs.zip

2016-04-21 17:21:03, Info                  CBS    Plan: Skipping package since its start state and target state are both absent for package: Package_1813_for_KB3147458~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~10.0.1.4, current: Absent, pending: Default, start: Absent, applicable: Absent, targeted: Absent, limit: Staged
    2016-04-21 17:21:03, Info                  CBS    Plan: Start to process package watchlist.

That's the only occurrence of "watchlist" but not the only one of "skipping package".

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, April 22, 2016 11:57 AM
  • - Dism checks shows it should be possible to repair the image, but have tried try run repair with online and with local image on USB created by Media Creation Tool and it throws up an error as shown in the CBS file.

->
    That's just the opencl.dll  thing.  It just means that we can't rely on DISM scans without checking for that case.

I haven't got back that far in your log yet.   We need a Message Analyzer scanner for this to cut through the clutter there.   "Primitive installers committed for repair"?   It looks like your WinSxS is getting more and more tied in knots.

Have you tried a manual update instead of using WU?

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

How do I run a manual update instead of using WU?

Even the USB created with the media creation tool is throwing: ¨Something happened. Sorry, we´re having trouble determining if your PC can run Windows 10. Please close setup and try again¨.
    So my bright idea to just reinstall Windows 10 keeping the files and documents because I am a bit fed up with it does not work.

So if you can explain to me, or point me to a "how to" to try a manual update I would be very thankfull.

• Edited by Spike_tm Friday, April 22, 2016 7:09 PM
    Friday, April 22, 2016 6:30 PM
  • How do I run a manual update instead of using WU?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3147458

<quote>

Method 2: Microsoft Update Catalog

To get the stand-alone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.

</quote>

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Friday, April 22, 2016 9:02 PM
  • I've got no sound after installing KB3147458, removing it fixes it though...
    Friday, April 22, 2016 11:24 PM
  • I've got no sound after installing KB3147458, removing it fixes it though...

Did you try rebooting first?  I always have to reboot my VM after an update before I get sound.  Once I had sound (a surprise) but no Clipboard--until I restarted the VM.  Quirks abound.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, April 23, 2016 12:50 AM
  • We have been having the issue with Cumulative updates released from March 2016 onwards. We tried out different suggestions from the internet, but none worked. After studying the CBS.log, we could narrow down to the cause of the problem. In our organization, we have a policy to block the access to the USB on all the computers. Few years back it was controlled using the DOMAIN POLICY set on our server, which modifies the security permissions to access usbstor.inf and usbstor.pnf files in C:\WINDOWS\INF folder. The cumulative updates were trying to replace these files with new ones and were failing. After we modified the Security settings for these files, the update KB3147458 went through with out any further issues.

Kiran.

Saturday, April 23, 2016 5:11 AM
  • First of all, thanks for the help so far.

I have made some serious progress, fixing multiple issues.
    I had a situation where sfc /scannow found errors but could not fix them and using DISM also threw up various errors not allowing to solve anything.

Refusing to let some 1s and 0s with an identity crisis mess up my computer, I have devised the following step by step based on input here and many hours of online research.

1. Stop Windows update service, delete temporary files, start windows update service
    (only these steps, do not continue with the other steps in the link)
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/windows-update-error-80070002#1TC=windows-7

2. Schedule a disk scan&repair with chkdsk /f

3. Reboot

4. run sfc /scannow

5. Download the Microsoft techbench image (media creation tool does not work for the next steps)

6. Mount the .iso image using a tool like DeamonTools Lite

7. Follow the DISM steps 1,2,3,4 & 6 as described here, with step 6 pointing to the image you mounted
    http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7808-dism-repair-windows-10-image.html

8. Reboot

9. run sfc /scannow

10. reboot

11. Follow the DISM steps 1,2,3,4 & 5 as describer here, now using the online function

12. reboot

13. run sfc /scannow (even all my errors are gone at this point, showing 100% completion and no corruptions found)

14. reboot

15. Clean windows update again like in step 1

16. Get the standalone update package

17. Install the manual package and reboot when asked.

At this point, I guess it should work for 99% of the readers here.

(Un)fortunately I seems to belong in the 1%
    I can run sfc /scannow without throwing any errors, stating my system should be ok. DISM tells me all is in a healthy state. Windows Update still tells me to go F%&# myself and rollsback the update after rebooting without completing it.
    Not sure what else I can try, I have a restore point now because a lot of the issues seem to be solved. Will try some more things and report back either with success or another CBS file upload. Seems .Net is also messing up some stuff.
    Saturday, April 23, 2016 5:18 PM
  • Windows Update still tells me to go F%&# myself and rollsback the update after rebooting without completing it.

If you mean that you were into executing a cumulative update, what stage was it at?  E.g. we are given percent completion notification for 3 areas as well as overall percent completion.  Had there been any reboots?  That clue could help identify what stage the update aborted at without knowing the exact percentage values.

Otherwise, as I mentioned, I got my clue from the System events log.  Neither CBS.log nor WindowsUpdate.log seemed to have much relevance for where mine was failing and the update is too huge to just be running ProcMon to try to find out what other sources of diagnostics there might be.  However, if I hadn't had my luck with the System events log I was going to try using ProcMon with appropriate tweaks to allow at least Operation Is WriteFile events to be captured--e.g. not just filtered the way it would be normally and not being captured to memory the way it would be normally.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Saturday, April 23, 2016 6:46 PM
  • First of all, thanks for the help so far.

I have made some serious progress, fixing multiple issues.
    I had a situation where sfc /scannow found errors but could not fix them and using DISM also threw up various errors not allowing to solve anything.

Refusing to let some 1s and 0s with an identity crisis mess up my computer, I have devised the following step by step based on input here and many hours of online research.

1. Stop Windows update service, delete temporary files, start windows update service
    (only these steps, do not continue with the other steps in the link)
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/windows-update-error-80070002#1TC=windows-7

2. Schedule a disk scan&repair with chkdsk /f

3. Reboot

4. run sfc /scannow

5. Download the Microsoft techbench image (media creation tool does not work for the next steps)

6. Mount the .iso image using a tool like DeamonTools Lite

7. Follow the DISM steps 1,2,3,4 & 6 as described here, with step 6 pointing to the image you mounted

8. Reboot

9. run sfc /scannow

10. reboot

11. Follow the DISM steps 1,2,3,4 & 5 as describer here, now using the online function

12. reboot

13. run sfc /scannow (even all my errors are gone at this point, showing 100% completion and no corruptions found)

14. reboot

15. Clean windows update again like in step 1

16. Get the standalone update package

17. Install the manual package and reboot when asked.

At this point, I guess it should work for 99% of the readers here.

(Un)fortunately I seems to belong in the 1%
    I can run sfc /scannow without throwing any errors, stating my system should be ok. DISM tells me all is in a healthy state. Windows Update still tells me to go F%&# myself and rollsback the update after rebooting without completing it.
    Not sure what else I can try, I have a restore point now because a lot of the issues seem to be solved. Will try some more things and report back either with success or another CBS file upload. Seems .Net is also messing up some stuff.

WOW !!!

After so many "go F%&# myself" I'd be inclined to "Reset this PC" (probably quicker and more probably a sure fix).

Saturday, April 23, 2016 8:19 PM
  • Windows Update still tells me to go F%&# myself and rollsback the update after rebooting without completing it.

If you mean that you were into executing a cumulative update, what stage was it at?  E.g. we are given percent completion notification for 3 areas as well as overall percent completion.  Had there been any reboots?  That clue could help identify what stage the update aborted at without knowing the exact percentage values.

Otherwise, as I mentioned, I got my clue from the System events log.  Neither CBS.log nor WindowsUpdate.log seemed to have much relevance for where mine was failing and the update is too huge to just be running ProcMon to try to find out what other sources of diagnostics there might be.  However, if I hadn't had my luck with the System events log I was going to try using ProcMon with appropriate tweaks to allow at least Operation Is WriteFile events to be captured--e.g. not just filtered the way it would be normally and not being captured to memory the way it would be normally.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

I manually started the update, that I downloaded from the update catalog.
    It starts unpacking to the update cache and installs, displaying ¨success, please reboot¨.
    Reboot triggers the update, going up to 35% before actually rebooting.
    After the reboot, update goes up to 98% before giving the message unable to complete, rolling back.

I started digging in the system events log, finding various issues there.
    Solving skype and .net software issues and DCOM registration issues.

Try again, cleaning everything, running clean boot having the same result.

Sunday, April 24, 2016 1:25 PM

• WOW !!!

After so many "go F%&# myself" I'd be inclined to "Reset this PC" (probably quicker and more probably a sure fix).

Would be an option, if "reset this PC" would work.
    It does not however. Starting the image created with the Media Creation Tool does not work either.
    That tells me that it cannot figure out if my PC is suited for Windows 10.

I can boot from the USB, but trying a refresh from there tells me my drive is locked.
    Next in probably to try this:
    http://windowsreport.com/drive-windows-installed-locked/

Already checked if either the disk or the partition is set to read-only but that is not the case.

Thing is, I am running dual boot Linux mint & Windows 10 with Grub bootloader. So I am not sure if running these commands:
    bootrec /fixMBR
    bootrec /fixBoot
    bootrec /rebuildBCD

Will mess that up.

My HDD has recently been replaced by a SSD, image has been moved over. It could be that some issues are related to that. Everything runs fine now, just the update that keeps rolling back at 98% and being unable tho refresh.

Sunday, April 24, 2016 2:16 PM
  • I started seeing this also on Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate and have no idea which update is the cause.

Monday, April 25, 2016 1:00 PM

• WOW !!!

Would be an option, if "reset this PC" would work.
    It does not however. Starting the image created with the Media Creation Tool does not work either.
    That tells me that it cannot figure out if my PC is suited for Windows 10.

I can boot from the USB, but trying a refresh from there tells me my drive is locked.
    Next in probably to try this:
    http://windowsreport.com/drive-windows-installed-locked/

Already checked if either the disk or the partition is set to read-only but that is not the case.

Thing is, I am running dual boot Linux mint & Windows 10 with Grub bootloader. So I am not sure if running these commands:
    bootrec /fixMBR
    bootrec /fixBoot
    bootrec /rebuildBCD

Will mess that up.

My HDD has recently been replaced by a SSD, image has been moved over. It could be that some issues are related to that. Everything runs fine now, just the update that keeps rolling back at 98% and being unable tho refresh.

Spike_tm, looks like from what I've been reading, you've tried just about everything possible to resolve this Update & failed so far!

Being Linux dual boot explains a lot, as there were a few people with the same Update failure problems on the end of last months cumulative update thread also, here:(https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4118e930-56f8-45c3-aa70-d0ab739f3a5f/any-issues-with-latest-cumulative-update-kb3140745kb3140768-yet?referrer=http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4118e930-56f8-45c3-aa70-d0ab739f3a5f/any-issues-with-latest-cumulative-update-kb3140745kb3140768-yet?referrer=http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4118e930-56f8-45c3-aa70-d0ab739f3a5f/any-issues-with-latest-cumulative-update-kb3140745kb3140768-yet?referrer=http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/4118e930-56f8-45c3-aa70-d0ab739f3a5f/any-issues-with-latest-cumulative-update-kb3140745kb3140768-yet?forum=win10itprogeneral&prof=required)

Try their FIX: 

Therefore my advise in case of a mutiboot configuration combined with a MBR system is:

Log in with Administrator rights, press Win-X and start the Disk Management. If the active flag of the Windows start partition is not set, set it and try to install the update again.

In my case that worked and i hope i can contribute a little tile of the puzzle with that.

Thank you! I had no idea Windows Update would be so dependent on one flag. This fixed up my problem with the newer cumulative patch (98% before an update halt and rebooting).

& if that fails, I suggest just hiding the update for the time being with this tool:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/F/2/2/F22D5FDB-59CD-4275-8C95-1BE17BF70B21/wushowhide.diagcab

• Proposed as answer by Spike_tm Monday, April 25, 2016 7:21 PM
    • Edited by JiMSolutionz Monday, April 25, 2016 10:42 PM
    Monday, April 25, 2016 1:44 PM
  • "Age of Empires - Castle Siege" server is down.  Update issues ?
    Monday, April 25, 2016 2:31 PM

Paranoia issues!?

http://forums.ageofempires.com/topic/20058-official-thread-to-complain-about-the-servers/#comment-161340

Monday, April 25, 2016 2:57 PM
  • @JimSolutionz

O wow! Thank you so much!
    Setting one little flag solved it...

I hope some people will find help in the step by step I posted. I think it is quite a complete list to solve Windows issues. Honestly I did not have much more left to try.
    But I did learn a lot in the process and have a extensive collection of bookmarked pages with information to solve things.
    In the end, problem solved, learned new things and thankful for the feedback and help I received here.

Monday, April 25, 2016 7:28 PM

Paranoia issues!?

http://forums.ageofempires.com/topic/20058-official-thread-to-complain-about-the-servers/#comment-161340

Empress_Phasma added a post in a topic: Official Thread to Complain about the Servers    <time data-short="27 min" datetime="2016-04-25T19:23:13Z" title="04/25/16 03:23 PM">27 minutes ago</time>
    We are still working on it. We have a large team of people here and at Microsoft working on this issue. No fix yet so players may still be experiencing problems. As I have stated, I will announce once a reliable fix has been deployed.

Monday, April 25, 2016 7:54 PM
  • @JimSolutionz

O wow! Thank you so much!
    Setting one little flag solved it...

I hope some people will find help in the step by step I posted. I think it is quite a complete list to solve Windows issues. Honestly I did not have much more left to try.
    But I did learn a lot in the process and have a extensive collection of bookmarked pages with information to solve things.
    In the end, problem solved, learned new things and thankful for the feedback and help I received here.

You're welcome,

glad you got it solved in the end! ;-)

Monday, April 25, 2016 8:42 PM

Paranoia issues!?

Empress_Phasma added a post in a topic: Official Thread to Complain about the Servers    <time data-short="27 min" datetime="2016-04-25T19:23:13Z" title="04/25/16 03:23 PM">27 minutes ago</time>
    We are still working on it. We have a large team of people HERE (Age of Empires-Official Site) and at Microsoft working on this issue. No fix yet so players may still be experiencing problems. As I have stated, I will announce once a reliable fix has been deployed.

1) Please do not quote other peoples posts from a games forum whence it came, on a Microsoft Windows IT Tech forum to me, of which I have no interest whatsoever!!

2) & if you are going to point me to any form of link, at least make it helpful, or of some use as to the topic of the thread you are posting it from!!

3) I think you'll actually find you're discussing a Microsoft game server bug, not a .........

(Anyone seeing issues with the April updates KB3147461 and KB3147458?) issue!!

4) Empress_Phasma SGI Community Manager, (a Buddhist community manager!?) REALLY?

5) I'm speachless!!..................

Monday, April 25, 2016 9:04 PM

Paranoia issues!?

We are still working on it. We have a large team of people HERE (Age of Empires-Official Site) and at Microsoft working on this issue. No fix yet so players may still be experiencing problems. As I have stated, I will announce once a reliable fix has been deployed.

1) Please do not quote other peoples posts from a games forum whence it came, on a Microsoft Windows IT Tech forum to me, of which I have no interest whatsoever!!

2) & if you are going to point me to any form of link, at least make it helpful, or of some use as to the topic of the thread you are posting it from!!

3) I think you'll actually find you're discussing a Microsoft game server bug, not a .........

(Anyone seeing issues with the April updates KB3147461 and KB3147458?) issue!!

4) Empress_Phasma SGI Community Manager, (a Buddhist community manager!?) REALLY?

5) I'm speachless!!..................

Thank you "large team of people HERE (Age of Empires-Official Site) and at Microsoft working on this issue" for fixing the problem. (Whatever the cause, April updates KB3147461 and/or KB3147458 or Paranoia or neither.) Microsoft gamers and Buddhists are happy. I'll bet both far outnumber dual boot Linux / Win 10 users.
    Wednesday, April 27, 2016 12:25 AM
  • Hi, I get the pale blue your PC is fatucked screen offering to Reset the PC.

Nothing unusual about the PC , Reseting and Repairing didn't work not even using a Win10 USB recvovery drive. I started smelling a rat when a backup would not restore to the drive.

After a long and tiresome investigation and getting nowhere, I had to do a clean Win10 install (used a new SSD to preserve what was on the original)- not happy.

Also discovered a second PC that was playing up - this one had a dual boot and was booting into the Win7 install on the 2nd disk.

Of all the PCs, servers and laptops I look after two were fatucked by the Win10 13 April update.

one was ASUS mb, AMD cpu and Corsair SSD. The other was Gigabyte mb, Intel cpu and Corsair SSD.

The other systems have Kingston or Sandisk SSDs and seem to be ok. So it looks like the update impacted the Corsair SSDs. After low level formating both SSDs seem to be functioning ok now.

• Edited by Steve Mess Wednesday, April 27, 2016 10:12 AM
    Wednesday, April 27, 2016 10:02 AM
  • Hi John

I'm getting a failure and rollback when installing KB3147458.  The Event Viewer is reporting the error 0x800F0922, which you mentioned to someone else was not very useful.

I have uploaded my CBS logs to the OneDrive location you linked to.

Thanks for any help

Sorry, been away for quite a while, there's been way more work that I expected!

This seems to be failing on boot file servicing, which leads me to wonder whether you have a dual-boot system or some special bootloader magic. The specific error HRESULT HRESULT_FROM_WIN32(1005) maps to "ERROR_UNRECOGNIZED_VOLUME".

Thursday, April 28, 2016 4:16 PM
  • We have been having the issue with Cumulative updates released from March 2016 onwards. We tried out different suggestions from the internet, but none worked. After studying the CBS.log, we could narrow down to the cause of the problem. In our organization, we have a policy to block the access to the USB on all the computers. Few years back it was controlled using the DOMAIN POLICY set on our server, which modifies the security permissions to access usbstor.inf and usbstor.pnf files in C:\WINDOWS\INF folder. The cumulative updates were trying to replace these files with new ones and were failing. After we modified the Security settings for these files, the update KB3147458 went through with out any further issues.

Kiran.

Interesting situation and good troubleshooting, thanks! I'll keep this in mind if I hear of similar issues elsewhere as this is a technique used by a number of companies to restrict USB port access.

Again, thanks!

Thursday, April 28, 2016 4:19 PM
  • Hi, I get the pale blue your PC is fatucked screen offering to Reset the PC.

Nothing unusual about the PC , Reseting and Repairing didn't work not even using a Win10 USB recvovery drive. I started smelling a rat when a backup would not restore to the drive.

After a long and tiresome investigation and getting nowhere, I had to do a clean Win10 install (used a new SSD to preserve what was on the original)- not happy.

Also discovered a second PC that was playing up - this one had a dual boot and was booting into the Win7 install on the 2nd disk.

Of all the PCs, servers and laptops I look after two were fatucked by the Win10 13 April update.

one was ASUS mb, AMD cpu and Corsair SSD. The other was Gigabyte mb, Intel cpu and Corsair SSD.

The other systems have Kingston or Sandisk SSDs and seem to be ok. So it looks like the update impacted the Corsair SSDs. After low level formating both SSDs seem to be functioning ok now.

Two things... Thanks for giving me a huge laugh with "fatucked", I'm going to have to start using that. :-) And second, I appreciate the tip on the Corsair SSDs, I'll keep an eye out for that going forward.
    Thursday, April 28, 2016 4:29 PM
  • I have uploaded my CBS-files (rollback) to Onedrive: Holmg2000_CBS.zip. Late, hopefully not too late.
    Friday, April 29, 2016 4:15 PM
  • I have uploaded my CBS-files (rollback) to Onedrive: Holmg2000_CBS.zip. Late, hopefully not too late.

Searching up for Failed I can see a pattern in the CBS.log but I don't think it is showing a problem.  The only thing I think might be suggested from the return code 0x800F0805 is some DISM (or the equivalent PowerShell Repair-WindowsImage -Online -CheckHealth).   Doing that might show you something more explicitly about the state of your WinSxS but I doubt that you will find a problem that way either.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Sunday, May 1, 2016 1:08 PM
  • Hey folks,

I've again been absent, working on getting ready for the May updates. I'll start a fresh thread when those updates go out. Also I'm considering posting a blog to talk about some of what's been going on, if I get around to that I hope you'll all give it a read. I'm going to ask the moderators to lock this thread as it's gotten pretty unwieldy.

Same message as I posted at the end of the March cycle... I'm really grateful for all the feedback and the excellent collaboration and troubleshooting I've seen in this forum. We're still trying to figure out how we can best work with you in the long term, but in the mean time this conversation has been really valuable to me and to the Windows team. I hope you all stick around and bring me your feedback on the May updates!

Best,

John Wink [MSFT]

Wednesday, May 4, 2016 3:22 PM
  • I guess this issue of spinning dots is just never going to be fixed...I've tried numerous fixes, all to no avail.  Those affected may no longer be able to get the latest MS security patches?  I think patch KB3140743 broke it, and it's just trickled down into the following cumulative patches...
    Wednesday, May 4, 2016 8:35 PM
  • Today Update  KB3147458 deleted all my apps and start menu items. Now uninstalling update 

KB3147458

Monday, May 9, 2016 11:41 AM
  • Still the same issues since maybe 3 or 4 monthes with the Update unable to finish (at 92 to 97%).

This time, it seems that I don't have anymore the Windows Updates history, and despite the failure, when Windows restarts, it says that the updates have been installed (but they are not).

I'm trying to upload my CBS data, it may take a while...

Thursday, May 19, 2016 4:18 PM
  • when Windows restarts, it says that the updates have been installed (but they are not).

This thread was the one for April.  Maybe your message means that that patch has been superseded by the one for May.  Run...  winver.exe  and see what version (e.g. build number) you have.  Otherwise another thing that can happen is you do have an install done but the apply step failed.  Unfortunately then it would be uninstalled and its download deleted so you may see a loop to that effect.  Must be upsetting to users who have to pay by the packet.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Thursday, May 19, 2016 11:36 PM
  • My version is 1511 (10586.105). I think that it's failing during the apply step but I'll talk about it in the May topic (I missed the May patchset, I thought April was the last one).
    Friday, May 20, 2016 5:01 PM
  • Hi Folks!

We're back for another round! Our conversation on the subject of the March updates was really successful, and I'm hoping we can get as much done now that the April updates are in the pipe.

I'll be watching this thread for the next week or so (longer if the discussion keeps going) so please let me know if you see any issues with the April updates (KB3147461 and KB3147458).

As mentioned on the previous thread, I may want to break this out into multiple threads depending on the issues that show up. If I do so, I'll post links to those threads here and always mention the KB numbers so the threads will be easy to find.

I'm looking forward to working with you again. Thanks in advance!

John W [MSFT]

I am stuck with this Ground Hog Day scenario too.  Have been for over a month.  There is a problem with KB3147458 and it is related to the software manifest.  There is supposed to be a file that is in the package that isn't  see below:

CBS    Perf: Doqe: Staging started.

CBS    Doqe: [Forward] Staging driver updates, Count 24

CBS            STAGE index: 16, phase: 1, result 0, inf: sdbus.inf

CBS            STAGE index: 17, phase: 1, result 0, inf: bth.inf

CBS STAGE index: 18, phase: 1, result 0, inf: tdibth.inf

CBS            STAGE index: 19, phase: 1, result 0, inf: bthleenum.inf

CBS            STAGE index: 20, phase: 1, result 2, inf: wudfusbcciddriver.inf

CBS    Doqe: Recording result: 0x80070002, for Inf: wudfusbcciddriver.inf

CBS    DriverUpdateStageUpdates failed [HRESULT = 0x80070002 - ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND]

Error   CBS    Doqe: Failed staging driver updates [HRESULT = 0x80070002 - ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND]

CBS    Perf: Doqe: Staging ended.

and then it sets error indicators resulting in backout of the change Look at your Windows/logs/CBS to see if you have the same problem.  It appears that Microsoft thinks they don't have to verify their work before releasing it to the wild.

Tuesday, June 7, 2016 3:26 PM
  • Why are there no release details about the contents of these updates, or any of the April updates?

Now, we are at June 12, and the page claims you must use IE 6 or higher to view the download page if you attempt to view with Chrome.

The engineers at Microsoft are such a fun group!  If you attempt to go to the page in IE 11, you see a totally blank screen!!!  Such fun dealing with those folks...ever hear of another OS that is 5 letters and starts with L and ends with X?

Monday, June 13, 2016 12:38 AM
  • If you attempt to go to the page in IE 11, you see a totally blank screen!!!

I don't.  You probably have an interferer causing that.  I just checked and found both Compatibility checkboxes were off, so you could do that too.  (via Alt-x b)  Otherwise try using the Developer tools to figure out why you would be getting such symptoms.

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Tuesday, June 14, 2016 3:11 PM
  • I spent 7 and a half hours updating my laptop, finally, it said that the update was successful, then two days later, I get the exact same notifications as before, that I need to update my laptop and that my version of Windows 10 is no longer supported.
    Thursday, April 12, 2018 12:55 PM