How to shim an application that needs administrative rights on Terminal Server. RRS feed

• Question

• I've installed an AX-client on Terminal server which works fine except when you want to change to a different server with this client.

In that case you need to have administrative rights to add or change the default server (AOS) it's connecting to. The application in question is AXCliCFg and is accessible from the administrative tools.

I've installed ACT 4.6 and installed a databases with an application fix to "RunAsAdmin". But when staring the application it returns a message saying "Only members of the administrators group on this computer can change configurations. .... contact your system administrator".

Is there any other option in ACT 4.6 that I have to add? Does anyone have experience with this application on terminal server or any other application having the same issue.

Thanks for your reply,

Saturday, September 24, 2011 1:57 PM

Answers

• Kalle,

No, the application check clearly that the user must be a member of the administrator group. Even runasadministrator doesn't change this. Is it even possible to fix this kind of check with by applcaition with ACT 4.6? If so, please let me know.

No it is not, like I already replied. Compatibility shims are only for fixing issues regarding application's compatibility against (newer than intended) OS underneath, not for performing operations like this. The "fix", if you will, is to add user to local admininistrators -group if that is the requirement of the application.

br,
    Kalle Saunamäki
    http://blog.gridmetric.com/
    • Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by mheijkant Friday, September 30, 2011 8:14 PM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 6:57 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I suggest you post your question in a forum dedicated for the product you use. Perhaps this one might fall into the area;

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproappcompat/threads

This forum is only dedicated for the product Microsoft Application Virtualization

/Znack
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 3:43 PM
  • Your question may be better suited for the application compatibility forum (the one Znack has linked to); however you could potentially solve your issue by using Microsoft Application Virtualization or (App-V), which is what this forum is about.

App-V will allow the application to write to an isolated copy of HKLM unique to each user.

Alternatively, try this approach with ACT: http://www.msigeek.com/4817/virtualregistry-shim-with-addredirect-registry-re-direction-to-fix-apps

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.
    Saturday, September 24, 2011 11:37 PM
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the purpose of RunAsAdmin shim or compatibility setting to force application to request elevation (so that the process will be launched with administrator's privileges and access token)? It does not make normal user accounts into admins silently.

It sounds that the AXCliCfg shortcut simply needs to be started - by a user - with "Run as adminstrator" context-menu command and appropriately elevated. Application clearly checks via some Windows API that user is indeed equipped with administrators rights, and in that App-V cannot help you.

br,
    Kalle Saunamäki
    • Proposed as answer by znack Tuesday, September 27, 2011 9:26 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by mheijkant Wednesday, September 28, 2011 6:50 AM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 7:38 PM
  • Aaron,

By the way. I intended to use this application with app-v but was forced to install this application on the server itself, because of an app-v bug, which is known to microsoft.

Kalle,

No, the application check clearly that the user must be a member of the administrator group. Even runasadministrator doesn't change this. Is it even possible to fix this kind of check with by applcaition with ACT 4.6? If so, please let me know.

Thanks for any further replies,

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 6:53 AM
  • Kalle,

No it is not, like I already replied. Compatibility shims are only for fixing issues regarding application's compatibility against (newer than intended) OS underneath, not for performing operations like this. The "fix", if you will, is to add user to local admininistrators -group if that is the requirement of the application.

br,
    Kalle Saunamäki
    • Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by mheijkant Friday, September 30, 2011 8:14 PM
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 6:57 AM