none
2016 NPS Wi-Fi Radius Server - Period in netbios domain name gives Event ID 4402 error - There is no domain controller available for the domain. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all;

I am trying to create a Windows 2016 based NPS RADIUS server at work for a 802.1x Wi-Fi authentication. However I keep getting an "Event ID 4402: There is no domain controller available for the domain ABC01.dom" error in the NPS event log when ever I try and authenticate a wireless client against it.

Essentially our Pre-2000/NetBios domain name has a dot/period in it and ends in .dom; our forest and domain functional levels are 2016 though.

i.e. Our domain name is ABC01.ourcompnay.com and the pre-2000 domain name is ABC01.dom

I have tried the registry fix of adding the "DefaultDomain" REG_SZ string value with the data set to "ABC01.ourcompnay.com" to the "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RasMan\PPP\ControlProtocols\Builtin" registry key, but has made no difference at all.

From what I can tell, it is due to how NPS is treating the dotted ABC01.dom domain as FQDN and not a Netbios name.

How can I resolve this error so wireless clients can authenticate against the 2016 based NPS server using AD credentials? Altering our domain name or removing the dot/period from the pre-2000 domain name is not an option!

This is really driving me mad!

Regards: Elliott.

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 7:06 PM

All replies