Loading new webpages every time a page is navagated too -- cache settings. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello There Everyone!

My company is running into a problem where Web browsers are not loading new versions of websites. My boss gave me the task of fixing this, by setting the IE Website Data settings.

I am trying to achieve these settings for everyone in the company. I am planning to do it using a GPO logoff script by editing the registry

My company is spread out to IE 9, 10 and 11 which makes it a bit harder.

I have found that running this command will fix the Check for newer versions of stored pages on all 3 IE versions:

reg add "HKCU\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\internet settings" /v SyncMode5 /t reg_Dword /d 00000003 /f  

setting the disk space to use has been tougher

I found that this command will do the trick for IE 10, 11 but will not for IE 9.

reg add "HKCU\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\internet settings\5.0\Cache" /v ContentLimit /t reg_Dword /d 0008 /f

I have also looked for registry keys for IE 9 to change disk space to use, but have not found one. everywhere I look I find people saying this will do the trick:

reg add "HKCU\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\internet settings\5.0\Cache\Content" /v CacheLimit /t reg_Dword /d 8192 /f

but that has not worked for me.

So my questions are.

1) Does anyone know a registry key that will encompass all IE versions for "Disk space to use"?

2)  Or maybe this is not the best way of achieving the browser getting new versions of the website every time. If not any suggestions?

Thanks in advanced for your help and time.

Cheers!

Thursday, August 7, 2014 4:49 PM

Answers

• Hi,

What's the version of your DC? if you're using Windows 8\8.1 +RSAT or Windows server 2012 to control these settings, then you can simply use GPP, as screen shot below:

If you're using Windows server 2008 r2, then for IE 9, you can apply the following hotfix, then use GPP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2530309

This will not add an IE 9 item in GPP, but if you select the Internet Explorer 8 option, this setting now applies both to  Internet Explorer 8 and to Internet Explorer 9.

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Roger Lu Tuesday, August 19, 2014 9:51 AM
    Monday, August 11, 2014 8:42 AM

All replies

• Does it concern the same mix of computers as in this previous thread of yours where you asked more or less the same question? => http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/2f5c12d8-fb93-4569-b9ea-75bd96715801/ie-11-temporary-internet-files-settings?forum=ieitprocurrentver

Have you (or has your boss) contacted your SysAdmin or IT Department about all this?

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear) MS MVP-Windows Client since 2002 Disclaimer: MS MVPs neither represent nor work for Microsoft

Thursday, August 7, 2014 9:52 PM
  • Broader scope.

Looking for potential ways to solve the problem then just through registry hacks or those specific IE settings. 

Thursday, August 7, 2014 9:59 PM
  • How about closing your previous thread (i.e., mark one or more posts as ANSWER) before delving into the "broader scope" stuff? THX

PS: I asked two (2) questions in my previous reply.

Thursday, August 7, 2014 10:07 PM
  • I am looking into solutions for the IT department.

Do you have anything useful to add to the thread?

Thursday, August 7, 2014 10:10 PM
  • Hi,

What's the version of your DC? if you're using Windows 8\8.1 +RSAT or Windows server 2012 to control these settings, then you can simply use GPP, as screen shot below:

If you're using Windows server 2008 r2, then for IE 9, you can apply the following hotfix, then use GPP

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2530309

This will not add an IE 9 item in GPP, but if you select the Internet Explorer 8 option, this setting now applies both to  Internet Explorer 8 and to Internet Explorer 9.

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Roger Lu Tuesday, August 19, 2014 9:51 AM
    Monday, August 11, 2014 8:42 AM