SteadyState issues RRS feed

• Question

• Some of our customers are hotels that have lobby computers for guest usage, and they would like to lock these down to get away from the headaches that result from guests making changes to the system. These are all xp home, not pro. They want to limit usage to internet browsing and allow customers to have access to their USB flash drives for saving webmail attachments or sending photos.

Given that, I installed the latest version of SteadyState and ran into a few issues. Testing was done with a restricted account created from within the SS mgmt console, using High Restrictions as the starting point.

When logged onto the restricted account, I can read/write to the USB mem stick but there is no way to safely remove it. The icon shows up in the systray, but after the right click/left click to safely remove hardware, it pops up the restriction message. Since there is no apparent option to enable safe removal while logged onto a restricted from within the SteadyState configuration menus, is there a registry hack that would allow this?

There is a global option to hide the C: drive, but it is all or nothing. How does one grant access to Shared Documents in this scenario?

Another interesting issue that came up on my test machine is that after making some changes and rebooting, xp came up with a message saying that since the hardware had changed significantly, I had to activate windows within 3 days. I told it to activate and it did, but that seemed a little wierd. Is this a known issue?

When logged in as the Administrator, under "See also" on the left panel of the SteadyState configuration screen, the FAQ and Communty links don't work - nothing happens when you click on them. However, Internet Explorer does work and I can get to websites.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 10:58 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Wyocowboy2,

Hope the following information is helpful:

Safely remove USB device issue

----------------------

As the right click menu has been disabled, USB devices cannot be safely remove with this manner. However, it should work with the left click manner. Please left click the USB icon in the System Tray and then click the Safely remove USB device message. USB device will be removed safely.

Hide the C: drive

----------------------

SteadyState already has Windows Disk Protection (WDP) and Lock account features to make sure no change is made to the system and user profile. That’s the reason why the hide the drive C option is not selected by default. From you description, it seems this option is not appropriate for your situation. Alternatively, we can use “Prevent users from creating folders and files in drive c:\” option, then files can only be temporarily saved to “My Documents” of the user. Regarding the shared documents, you can save them to user’s Desktop or “My Documents”.

Reactivation issue

----------------------

Based on my experience, reactivation is needed after making some hardware changes. Please understand that this is to protect your license from being hacked. For more information about activation, please refer to the following Knowledge Base article:

Activation and registration of a Microsoft product

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326851

If this issue occur right after making some changes in SteadyState, you can also refer to the following thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1897676&SiteID=69

FAQ and Community links don't work

----------------------

As the two links open Internet Explorer directly. The problem should be caused by corrupted program or IE problems. If reinstallation cannot be get the issue resolved, I recommend you post the inquiry to Internet Explorer General newsgroup for further assistance:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general&mid=65be382f-ffed-48dc-acfb-4d4f6ee06dfe

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is that you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other customers who read the newsgroups regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Friday, August 3, 2007 9:02 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for Sean’s great sharing.

Please understand related information for known issues is included in the SteadyState’s readme.txt or handbook. However, our Product Team hasn't encountered similar issues before. Based on my further research, the following conditions could make it necessary to reactivate Windows:

Formatting and reinstalling system needs reactivation. If the system is not reactivated, another Internet activation is required. 

Tampering or corruption in some areas of the registry can trigger a required re-activation.

Changing hardware can cause activation.

After the threshold number of hardware (only hardware examined by MPA) changes has passed, a required re-activation on the next reboot may be triggered. 

If 120 days have passed since the first activation then the activation will be allowed over the Internet.

If the hardware changes before 120 days have passed, you have to make a phone call.

Failing hardware memory may cause erratic WPA behavior during logon. Validating Activation and inability to logon may occur as a result. 

According to the symptom you have encountered, it seems that some registry keys or files were corrupt after the installation of SteadyState. Wyocowboy2, if the reactivation issue is reproducible, we can track the registry & file changes when the reactivation problem occurs. With this method, we can find the root cause of this issue. The information will be helpful to other users who encounter something similar.

Regards,

Friday, August 10, 2007 7:02 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Wyocowboy2,

----------------------

As the right click menu has been disabled, USB devices cannot be safely remove with this manner. However, it should work with the left click manner. Please left click the USB icon in the System Tray and then click the Safely remove USB device message. USB device will be removed safely.

----------------------

SteadyState already has Windows Disk Protection (WDP) and Lock account features to make sure no change is made to the system and user profile. That’s the reason why the hide the drive C option is not selected by default. From you description, it seems this option is not appropriate for your situation. Alternatively, we can use “Prevent users from creating folders and files in drive c:\” option, then files can only be temporarily saved to “My Documents” of the user. Regarding the shared documents, you can save them to user’s Desktop or “My Documents”.

Reactivation issue

----------------------

Based on my experience, reactivation is needed after making some hardware changes. Please understand that this is to protect your license from being hacked. For more information about activation, please refer to the following Knowledge Base article:

If this issue occur right after making some changes in SteadyState, you can also refer to the following thread:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsToolsandUtilities/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1897676&SiteID=69

----------------------

As the two links open Internet Explorer directly. The problem should be caused by corrupted program or IE problems. If reinstallation cannot be get the issue resolved, I recommend you post the inquiry to Internet Explorer General newsgroup for further assistance:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general&mid=65be382f-ffed-48dc-acfb-4d4f6ee06dfe

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is that you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other customers who read the newsgroups regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us.  Thank you for your understanding.

Best Regards,

Friday, August 3, 2007 9:02 AM
  •  Shawn Shao - MSFT wrote:

Hi Wyocowboy2,

----------------------

Ok, but even though right-click is disabled in Explorer, it still allows me to right-click on the safely remove hardware icon  and presents me with a choice. I get the error when I left click on the resultant choice, not when I right-click. If it is not going to honor that choice, it should not allow the right-click on the icon. However, the left-click method does work and that will be acceptable.

Shawn Shao - MSFT wrote:

----------------------

I will unhide it and see if that works for the intended purposes.

Shawn Shao - MSFT wrote:

Reactivation issue

----------------------

In this case, xp was activated, no hardware changes were made, and disk protection had not yet been turned on, so this looks like some sort of bug.

Shawn Shao - MSFT wrote:

----------------------

IE works for browsing the net in both the restricted account and the administrator account, but it does not launch when clicking the aforementioned links in the SteadyState management console. I will try reinstalling SteadyState and see if that fixes it, since it does not appear to be an IE problem.

Monday, August 6, 2007 4:36 PM

Hi Wyocowboy2,

----------------------

Best Regards,

Uninstalling/reinstalling SteadyState fixed this issue.

Monday, August 6, 2007 5:16 PM
  •  wyocowboy2 wrote:

Another interesting issue that came up on my test machine is that after making some changes and rebooting, xp came up with a message saying that since the hardware had changed significantly, I had to activate windows within 3 days. I told it to activate and it did, but that seemed a little wierd. Is this a known issue?

I have experienced this also on two different computers. I installed Steadystate and rebooted, after that I was asked to activate. Disk Protection wasn't on and I wasn't even trying to turn it on.

Sami

Monday, August 6, 2007 8:30 PM
  •  Sami Torvinen wrote:
     wyocowboy2 wrote:

I have experienced this also on two different computers. I installed Steadystate and rebooted, after that I was asked to activate. Disk Protection wasn't on and I wasn't even trying to turn it on.

Sami

Sounds like a bug to me. FWIW, I uninstalled SteadyState and reinstalled it on the same machine to fix the problem with the FAQ/community links not working from the SS management console. I rebooted and it has not yet asked to reactivate xp. I have not yet turned on disk protection though...

Monday, August 6, 2007 10:16 PM
  • Hi,

Regarding the right click menu when trying to safely remove an USB device, I will forward this issue to our product team to check if they can make some changes.

As to the activation issue. I suspect the original system was not activated properly or some registry keys have been corrupted. For your information, we can check the activation status with the following command: “oobe/msoobe /a”

If Windows XP cannot be activated from the Internet, you can also call our Microsoft Activation Center and they will help you activate your copy of Windows XP by telephone. The Microsoft Activation Center can be reached at 888-571-2048 (toll free) or 716-871-2929. 

Regards,

Tuesday, August 7, 2007 8:40 AM
  • The original system had been activated a few years ago and was not complaining about activation until I installed SteadyState for the first time. I have been repairing xp machines for the past 6 years, so I am familiar with activation issues.

When I try oobe/msoobe /a at the command prompt, it says it is an unrecognized command. If I try it with the quotes, it says path not found.

Tuesday, August 7, 2007 5:06 PM

Hi,

Regarding the right click menu when trying to safely remove an USB device, I will forward this issue to our product team to check if they can make some changes.

As to the activation issue. I suspect the original system was not activated properly or some registry keys have been corrupted. For your information, we can check the activation status with the following command: “oobe/msoobe /a”

If Windows XP cannot be activated from the Internet, you can also call our Microsoft Activation Center and they will help you activate your copy of Windows XP by telephone. The Microsoft Activation Center can be reached at 888-571-2048 (toll free) or 716-871-2929. 

Regards,

While you are talking to the product team, you should tell them that SteadyState should in no way trigger xp activation when no hardware changes have been made.

Tuesday, August 7, 2007 7:45 PM
  • The “oobe/msoobe /a” (without quotations) command can run directly from Start -> Run.

During the installation of SteadyState, it will check whether the system is activated and if the product is genuine. Thus, I suspect the original system was not activated properly. In addition, I have installed SteadyState many times on my computers and no reactivation problem was encountered.

I will consult our product team to check whether the installation will trigger any activation related issue. If there is any update, I will post here soon.

Regards,

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 3:16 AM

The “oobe/msoobe /a” (without quotations) command can run directly from Start -> Run.

During the installation of SteadyState, it will check whether the system is activated and if the product is genuine. Thus, I suspect the original system was not activated properly. In addition, I have installed SteadyState many times on my computers and no reactivation problem was encountered.

I will consult our product team to check whether the installation will trigger any activation related issue. If there is any update, I will post here soon.

Regards,

Don't know what happened to my previous response, so here goes again...

From Start - Run oobe/msoobe /a results in "Windows is already activated..."

If this system was not activated properly, that would be a Microsoft bug, since I have been using it for about 6 months. If a system is not activated, it will not let you logon after 30 days.

The fact that you have installed it many times without activation issues doesn't mean there isn't an issue. It happened on my machine and two of Sammi's machines.

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 8:47 PM
  • Because the having the system tray viewable is a big risk, we hid it. 
    We worked our way around the USB issue like this:

Create a new shortcut with the target as "%SystemRoot%\System32\RUNDLL32.EXE shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll"
    Name the icon something like "Safely Unplug USB Devices" and place it on the desktop.

In restrictions, you must uncheck "Remove the Control Panel icon" in the Start Menu section.  Even though this settings states nothing about actual access to different control panel applets, it does.  I complained about this on the forum for the earlier verion of the toolkit, but nothing changed.

Anyway, you must be using the classic start menu, or the Control Panel icon will likely appear in the start menu.  It changes nothing on the classic.  Opening the desktop shortcut will allow USB devices to be shut down properly.

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 11:08 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for Sean’s great sharing.

Please understand related information for known issues is included in the SteadyState’s readme.txt or handbook. However, our Product Team hasn't encountered similar issues before. Based on my further research, the following conditions could make it necessary to reactivate Windows:

Formatting and reinstalling system needs reactivation. If the system is not reactivated, another Internet activation is required. 

Tampering or corruption in some areas of the registry can trigger a required re-activation.

Changing hardware can cause activation.

After the threshold number of hardware (only hardware examined by MPA) changes has passed, a required re-activation on the next reboot may be triggered. 

If 120 days have passed since the first activation then the activation will be allowed over the Internet.

If the hardware changes before 120 days have passed, you have to make a phone call.

Failing hardware memory may cause erratic WPA behavior during logon. Validating Activation and inability to logon may occur as a result. 

According to the symptom you have encountered, it seems that some registry keys or files were corrupt after the installation of SteadyState. Wyocowboy2, if the reactivation issue is reproducible, we can track the registry & file changes when the reactivation problem occurs. With this method, we can find the root cause of this issue. The information will be helpful to other users who encounter something similar.

Regards,

Friday, August 10, 2007 7:02 AM
  • Regarding your hidden C: drive issue:

I recently encountered something similar in that I wanted to allow a certain directory on the C: to be used for temporary storage of files. But the hidden drive function disallowed all access to the drive.

I have managed to workaround this problem by using a small back...

Here's, the obligatory warning about hacking the registry. Please don't attempt the below without backing up or being comfortable with editing the registry.

In SteadyState, hide the C: like usual but unhide another unused drive letter like Z: drive.

Then in the registry, open up to

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\DOS Devices

and add a String Value there with:

Name:     Z:

Data:      \??\C:\directory                                      (the \??\ is not a typo - yes they are question marks)

so in your case           \??\C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents         (for the Shared Documents folder)

Now reboot and when you next login you should see Z: drive appear that maps to the Shared Documents directory. Obviously the directory will need to have the correct permissions on it too.

Good luck.

BTW, you can test the same thing by typing

subst Z: "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents"

and this should create Z: with the correct link. But this method is only temporary till next reboot, the above method with the registry makes this permanent.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 1:11 AM
  • Shawn,

Like I said, there were no hardware changes. The only thing I did was to install SteadyState on a working xp home machine that had been running for the better part of a year without issue, and reboot. Windows then informed me that due to hardware changes, I needed to reactivate xp. I had not enabled disk protection or done anything that should have triggered this.

If something corrupted the registry, that would most likely be an xp bug or a SteadyState bug. This machine is very vanilla, without much installed or running on it.

I tried to reproduce the issue by uninstalling and reinstalling SteadyState, but it did not recurr.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 9:50 PM
  • Abe,

Yes, I like that approach. I'll give it a try.

Thanks,

Thursday, August 30, 2007 9:51 PM
  • Hi Wyocowboy2,

Thank you for your continuous effort on this issue. As I have been explained in my last post, reactivation can be caused by several factors. If this is a Windows XP or SteadyState bug, it should be a reproducible issue. However, based on the current situation, we cannot reproduce the problem to continue narrow down the issue. Based on my experience, if the issue only occurs on this computer, the issue should be closely related to the status of the system. If you would like to continue with issue, please check if you have System Restore enabled. We can restore the system to the previous status and try to install SteadyState again.

Best Regards,

Friday, August 31, 2007 10:25 AM
  •  I got the reactivation thing too - I installed steadystate to have a look at it before using it at work. Left it at default settings.

Next time I started up windows ( very slow to start )  I got the message that my xp needed to be activated as my hardware had changed significantly - no it hadn't. Only thing to change was installing steadystate.  Would not accept the COA code, I followed the instructions and phoned customer services, refused new key. Became worried!   Uninstalled steadystate, restarted computer, prompted for activation but this time it activated automatically. All ended well.

Looks like a bug to me!

Saturday, September 1, 2007 6:16 PM
  • Hi  Metoo100,

What problem was encountered when trying to activate the product through Customer Service? Is the issue reproducible if SteadyState is reinstalled? If this issue is reproducible, we can continue troubleshooting this issue with some technique steps. Otherwise, It’s not certain that the issue is related to the installation of SteadyState. 

Regards,

Monday, September 3, 2007 10:55 AM
  • Ok, here goes.  We have 32 computers with Windows XP Pro. and all windows updates.  We activated all these computers and they were running normally. We then installed steady state and now all 32 computers want to be reactiviated because of a change in hardware.  Again, the only change was that steady state was installed.  I can reproduce the problem by syspreping the unit with a sysprep.inf file and have it set to pre-activate.  Once imaged back down it requires reactivation because of a change in hardware even if I image it back down to the same computer the image was created on.  Any hints as to what may be the problem?

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 10:44 PM
  • Hi Troy,

Before we start, I would appreciate your help in clarifying the following questions:

1. Can we reactivate the system when issue occurs?

2. Did this issue persist after uninstalling and then reinstalling SteadyState?

3. When did you capture the image with Sysprep? Did the image have SteadyState installed?

4. You mentioned “once imaged back down it requires reactivation”. Did this issue occur right after deploying the image or installing SteadyState in the system?

5. Is your product key on these computers VLK (Volume License Key)?

Please provide the detailed steps to reproduce this error. With detailed steps, I can try to reproduce this issue on my side. Please let me know the content of sysprep.inf file. You can send it to me at v-shshao@microsoft.com

I will contact our product team to check if SteadyState will make any changes which can lead to hardware change issue.

Regards,

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 8:41 AM
  • 1. Yes. There is no problem once the unit is reactivated.

2. Uninstalling and reinstalling SteadyState did not resolve this issue.

3. Yes, the original image had steadystate already installed, but I created a new image from scratch and had the problem so I think it may be a problem with the CPU Id.  I was using an Acer FH-9150.

4. After imaging.

5. No, they are OEM.

Friday, September 21, 2007 2:38 PM
  • Hi Troy,

As issue also occurs without SteadyState, it should be caused by other factors instead of SteadyState. You can post this inquiry to Windows XP Deployment newsgroup for further assistance:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment

Regards,

Monday, September 24, 2007 11:17 AM

Hi Wyocowboy2,

Thank you for your continuous effort on this issue. As I have been explained in my last post, reactivation can be caused by several factors.

In this case, xp said it was due to a hardware change - as I previously stated, no hardware was changed. The only thing I did was to install SteadyState.

Shawn Shao - MSFT wrote:
    If this is a Windows XP or SteadyState bug, it should be a reproducible issue.

Not necessarily. Having made a living testing software for the past 20 years or so, I can categorically state that some bugs are reproducable through structured testing and some are not. 

Shawn Shao - MSFT wrote:
    However, based on the current situation, we cannot reproduce the problem to continue narrow down the issue. Based on my experience, if the issue only occurs on this computer, the issue should be closely related to the status of the system. If you would like to continue with issue, please check if you have System Restore enabled. We can restore the system to the previous status and try to install SteadyState again.

Best Regards,

Even though I knew this was not a valid test, I did try regressing the system via system restore to just before I had installed SteadyState. I then reinstalled SteadyState, rebooted and did not get the activation wizard. One reason would be that activation status is stored in wpa.dbl (as far as I know) and this file is not regressed by system restore.

By the way, you should tell the development team that they should set a pre-SteadyState restore point as part of the installation. I had manually set a restore point before installing SteadyState for the first time, but not everyone is going to remember to do this.

Friday, October 12, 2007 3:20 PM
  • Hi Wyocowboy2,

Thank you for your suggestions on this product. As I know, System Restore only restores some monitored files. Thus, it will not help if the problem is caused by some unmonitored files (such as wpa.dbl). If this issue is reproducible, we can try to monitor the registry and file changes to find the root cause. Otherwise, we can only guess what was happened.

System Restore Monitored File Extensions

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Aa378870.aspx

Regards,

Monday, October 15, 2007 8:12 AM
  • I am presently facing virtually all of the issues that Wyocowboy2 seems to have been, but when I try a system restore for a date before my installation of Steady State, I am still prompted to activate Windows. Also, installing/uninstalling/deleting any files does not last; upon restarting the computer, the files remain exactly as they were previously, even though hard disk protection is off. In fact, HD protection w/ Steady State does not work at all; even though I defragment the HD successfully, installation is never successful, and upon restarting the machine, I am told to defragment once more.  

Monday, October 15, 2007 10:24 PM
  • Hi Guit,

As I have explained in my last posts, System Restore may not monitor the files which store the activation status. Thus, you still need to reactivate the product. As to the WDP issue, I recommend creating a new thread to avoid confusion. FYI,  you may need to check the hard drive with chkdsk command before enabling WDP as it’s very sensitive to the hard drive problems.

Regards,

Tuesday, October 16, 2007 2:34 AM
  •  metoo100 wrote:

I got the reactivation thing too - I installed steadystate to have a look at it before using it at work. Left it at default settings.

Next time I started up windows ( very slow to start )  I got the message that my xp needed to be activated as my hardware had changed significantly - no it hadn't. Only thing to change was installing steadystate.  Would not accept the COA code, I followed the instructions and phoned customer services, refused new key. Became worried!   Uninstalled steadystate, restarted computer, prompted for activation but this time it activated automatically. All ended well.

Looks like a bug to me!

Hi, I had a problem installing SteadyState on one of three computers and after following advice on here and still having problems I read on other posts that it is better to install it on a clean newly installed Windows.

So I re-installed XP pro formatting the drive along the way and updated via Microsoft Update and had everything Validated as genuine, no problem. I installed and set-up Steadystate, set up the user accounts same as the other 2 computers, checked they could all log in and everything looked fine no problems. re-started the comp each time to check for for any issues logging in to each account.....still fine. Then I set the restrictions and locked each account and activated the Disk protection. and bingo.....when the system re-started I had the same problem as metoo100 and others. Windows must be re-activated in 3 days etc...I rang up and was refused a new key due to product being installed on other systems!! If this was the case why did it validate merely an hour or so before?! Also this is the only computer it is installed on....the computers were set-up(not by me) but the disks have been locked away in a filing cabinet with no-one else accessing them since so i can pretty much guarantee that it is only on this computer!

So I am wondering whether anyone has found a solution yet or do I just uninstall steadystate? I am reluctant to remove it and have nothing due to the 2 other computers working perfectly and it taking sometime convincing and educating the various groups of users that it was beneficial and should help everyone share the computers successfully. So I am either one computer down or one unprotected computer!

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Malc.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 7:31 PM
  • Hi Malc,

I fully understand the inconvenience you have encountered. There is still no clue what caused this kind of issue, and this issue cannot be reproduced on my computer either. You can reinstall SteadyState to check if this issue continues.

Best Regards,

Thursday, November 1, 2007 9:23 AM
  •  

My next problem is I cannot uninstall Steadystate due to Disk protection being on.....I cannot switch off disk protection because steadystate will not run due to windows not being genuine (according to itself!!).  Any help please?

Friday, November 2, 2007 12:27 PM
  •  

Well I dont pretend to understand it but i managed to get everything working ok....maybe people can try the same actions as me and see if it works for them or maybe this might give the Steadystate team an idea of what was wrong either way here is how I sorted it:

When the "Windows must be activatedW etc screen came up there are two options....one is activate, and the other was register with Windows and activate....now everytime I have always just activated and avoided registering, nt for any particular reason, so due to being at my wits end and contempleting re-installing windows again I thought I might as well try the other option, so I selected "Register with Windows and Activate" filled in all the info and clicked on activate and it went through no problem! like I say I dont know why but it worked so thats enough for me! 

best of luck to everyone else

Malc

Saturday, November 3, 2007 7:18 PM
  • Hi Malc,

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Best Regards,

Monday, November 5, 2007 5:50 AM