Optical Drive and Audio device uninstalled and not referenced in Device Manager RRS feed

• Question

• I'm not sure if I have a virus or what. For about a week and a half I have been trying to figure out what is wrong. One morning after booting my computer I noticed that my DVD+/-RW drive was not visible in My Computer, which a format has fixed before so I reformatted my computer. Still no drive. It has power as it opens and closes when I push the button. So I tried disconnecting and reconnecting. Still nothing. I ran the updates and installed Vista SP2 and uninstalled all the useless garbage that comes with an HP (or any computer for that matter) from the factory. I was doing dishes, listening to music from my laptop when it suddenly quit playing. So I went to see what was up and it's uninstalling my audio device by itself. There is no group for sound, video, or game controllers or for a CD/DVD Drive in Device Manager. I updated the BIOS with the update that HP provided for my model on the HP website and tried installing all audio drivers from there as well. Every time a dialog box would pop up and say "Install failed. Cannot find device on your system". It took a while to find the actual manufacturer for my optical drive, a Pioneer, and tried installing the drivers from Pioneer for my model of drive with the same dialog box popping up telling me that device cannot be found. This happened three days after the computer went out of warranty from HP. I have read that many people are having problems with the DV6000 series laptop, but HP adamantly states that the recall for the motherboard strictly refers to wireless adapter and nvidia graphics issues. SO now I'm stuck. Any help or ideas would be appreciated

Thursday, December 31, 2009 7:53 PM