Shortcut to user folder in Explorer address bar or in command line RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Is there a shorthand notation (to type) to reach the user home folder? For example in Linux, typing ~/Music in the location bar will navigate to the Music subfolder under the user home folder.

Can you please show me a way to navigate quickly to the home folder? For example, Windows Explorer is currently viewing a random folder. I would like to navigate to my home folder, either by typing a short notation or by a few simple  clicks. What is the recommended way?

Thanks in advance.

Monday, November 8, 2010 5:13 PM

Answers

• If you type %UserName% in the address bar, you'll go to your home folder (C:\Users\User).

Once you've open it, drag the folder icon from the address bar to the default Windows Explorer icon in the taskbar (until "Pin to Windows Explorer" appears), and then release the mouse button. The next time you want to open your home folder, simply right click the Windows Explorer icon on your taskbar and select your user name under the "Pinned" section.

Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience | http://www.wintecnico.com

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Friday, November 19, 2010 9:55 AM
    Monday, November 8, 2010 6:05 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• If you type %UserName% in the address bar, you'll go to your home folder (C:\Users\User).

Once you've open it, drag the folder icon from the address bar to the default Windows Explorer icon in the taskbar (until "Pin to Windows Explorer" appears), and then release the mouse button. The next time you want to open your home folder, simply right click the Windows Explorer icon on your taskbar and select your user name under the "Pinned" section.

Microsoft MVP Windows Desktop Experience | http://www.wintecnico.com

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Friday, November 19, 2010 9:55 AM
    Monday, November 8, 2010 6:05 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi,

Thanks for your help. I have tried %UserName% this opens Firefox with my name in the address bar. %HomePath% navigates Windows Explorer to the home folder. May be this is what you meant.

Thanks for the icon drag trick. I have also tried to add the home folder in Windows Favorites section so it always appears n the top of the left pane. Strangely enough, the Favorites Menu in the Start menu doesn't display the same content than the Favorites in Windows Explorer. Instead it displays the bookmarks of Internet Explorer. Not sure why the same Favorites name is used for two different things.

Well I'll try to play around a little bit more until I find a comfortable way.

Thanks

Monday, November 8, 2010 9:00 PM