none
Create ECF with Graphical Indicator projectserver.client.dll RRS feed

• Question

• I am creating a method which creates ECF in project online. so i'm using projectserver.client.dll reference in my console application. Able to create ECF using CustomFieldCreationInformation , but now I must add Graphical Indicator setup also in my method. Is there any way to add graphical indicators to project online from a console application? basically when the ecf value is Red, i want to show red circle. 

Thanks, Saravanan PRS

Monday, February 23, 2015 2:12 PM

Answers

• Hi Saravanan,

As far as I know, adding graphical indicators via the client object model / OData is not supported by the objects in these APIs. The only way I know is PSI, however it is not supported to use against Project Online:

"To develop applications for Project Online, you must use the Microsoft.ProjectServer.Client namespace instead of the PSI." (see source article).

Regards,
    Peter

Monday, February 23, 2015 3:21 PM

All replies

• Hi Saravanan,

As far as I know, adding graphical indicators via the client object model / OData is not supported by the objects in these APIs. The only way I know is PSI, however it is not supported to use against Project Online:

"To develop applications for Project Online, you must use the Microsoft.ProjectServer.Client namespace instead of the PSI." (see source article).

Regards,
    Peter

Monday, February 23, 2015 3:21 PM
  • Awesome, thanks Peter. Yes, I checked the full library, there is no method. so wanted to confirm it. Cheers

Thanks, Saravanan PRS

Monday, February 23, 2015 7:52 PM
  • On a side note, you can access the PSI in Project Online. You can use a similar approach as described here for Remote auth for SharePoint Online using claims authentication.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/office/hh147177

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

Monday, February 23, 2015 7:59 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Thank you for your comment. Yes, it should be possible to access PO via PSI, at least, technically (unfortunately, I can't test it). But may we use this method, when MS says, "you must use the Microsoft.ProjectServer.Client namespace"? Or is it simply a recommendation?

Of course, I do a lot of unsupported development on my test systems as well (for example, using Reflection to access non-public members, etc.), but I always try to avoid such "tricks" for production quality solutions.

Regards,
    Peter

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 6:49 AM
  • Hi Peter,

All development should use the new client side APIs where possible - even if on prem but if the client side APIs do not provide the functionality you need then the it is possible to use the PSI even for Project Online. There is nothing official to state that it is not supported to access the PSI for Project Online - I haven't seen or heard this yet. It was someone at Microsoft that pointed out the article for accessing the PSI using the article for remote authentication in SharePoint Online using claims authentication.

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 7:13 AM