none
Project Server 2010 rename default fields RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I need to rename some default fields in Project Server 2010. Concretely Owner and Name(Project Name). Is it possible?

Thanks

Nikolas

Thursday, June 7, 2012 9:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• Nikolas --

You cannot rename any of the default fields in Project Server 2010.  Instead, you can change the label displayed on columns in PWA views.  Hope this helps

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Friday, June 8, 2012 12:21 AM
  • ... or you can create a custom webpart that derives from the out of the box Project Fields (via a supported method) and changes the label on display/rendering. We implemented that for a number of customers.

www.umt.com | www.umtprojectessentials.com

Friday, June 8, 2012 4:43 AM
  • Hi Dale

Can you please help me direct to the section where i can change the 'label' for these custom fields? (Eg. I need to change the PROJECT NAME field and display something else on it for all the users). I am not sure how to do this.

Thanks

Rav

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 12:36 PM
  • Rav --

Log into PWA with administrator permissions and then click Server Settings > Manage Views.  Click the name of the view in which you want to edit the labels to open the view for editing.  In the list of fields on the right side of the page, select the Project Name field and then enter a Label value for that field.  Click the Save button when finished.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 12:48 PM
  • Ravneet,

If you want to add the label to field name for a specific view, goto PWA| Server settings | Manage View.

Select the desired view from the View list. In Edit view page, select the field name say (Project) in the Displayed fields box and type a desired name in Custom Label field below. Click Save.

Please let me know if this works.

Thanks and Regards, Roopkumar Kamat (MCITP)

Wednesday, September 12, 2012 12:55 PM
  • Ahha... Thanks Roopkumar... I dont know how i missed that.

Another Question... This practice only changes name for that particular view. If i want to show the name on ALL the views, is there any other easy way.... rather than changing on all the views one by one??

Thanks

Thursday, September 13, 2012 4:10 AM
  • Ravneet,

There are several view types in PWA like Project, Project Center, Resource Center, Team Builder, My Work, Portfolio analyses, Timesheet.

You want a field name for Project say for eg. "Mission" in all the views and you also dont want to add the name in Custom Label for all the views. i hope you know  that you cannot rename the default fields in Project.

The field names are generic. They will be same in all views. For eg: Duration field name will be same when added in any supported views. If you want other name instead of duration say "Time required".Then the only way is to create a enterprise custom field with name "Time required" of task type and in formula, type [Duration]. The custom field will act as a read-only linked field of Duration. You can add this "Time required" field in all the required views and remove the Duration field from those views.

Let me tell you what is possible workaround in this scenario:

You will have to create 2 new Enterprise custom fields with formulas which will have the project name. This both fields are like linked fields to project name.

1. Goto Server settings | Enterprise custom fields and lookup tables.Click New. Add Enterprise custom field name for e.g "Mission" of Task type and in Formula type [Project].
     In Calcluation for Assignment Rows section, select "Rolldown, unless manually specified". Click Save.
     Create another custom field name "Mission name" of Project type and in Formula type [Project]. click save.

The reason for creating 2 custom fields, 1st of task type and 2nd of project type is that the Project center views, Portfolio analysis views will allow to add fields only of Project type. The views like Project, My Work will allow to add fields only of task type.

2. Now you can goto  Server settings| Manage views and add the Task type field named "Mission" in Views under Views types : Project, My Work and Resource plan only.
    3. You can add "Mission Name" field in Views under View types: Project center, Portfolio Analyses and Portfolio analysis project selection only.

Note:
    1.Limitation1: You cannot add fields Mission and Mission name in Resource Assignment, Team task and Timesheets because these view types support only Custom fields with lookup table or custom fields without formulas. The custom fields Mission and Mission name are formula fields.

2.Limitation2: The View types like Resource center and Team builder are Resource types views and allow only Resource type custom fields. Hence you cannot add Mission and Mission name fields in these Views.

3. Limitation3:In Project Professional, you can add Mission and Mission name fields in any Task type views like Gantt chart, Ent. Gantt chart, task usage and other Task type views. But cannot add these fields in Resource sheet, Resource usage  and other resource type views.

4.Limitation 4:  The custom fields "Mission" and Mission Names" will be read-only and cannot be edited in Project professional or PWA views.

The above workaround is useful when you want the custom project names in several views. Lets say you have large number of custom views of project and project center type and you want the names in those views too.

But if you want a custom field name for few views then you can go for naming the Project field in Custom label.

I hope this information helps.

Thanks and Regards, Roopkumar Kamat (MCITP)

• Proposed as answer by ravneet.chalana Saturday, September 15, 2012 8:28 AM
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 8:32 AM