Slow recognition of USB 2.0 storage devices & Windows doesn't start up when plugged in RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We currently got some problems with our Windows 7 clients. Every notebook we install requires exactly 5 minutes to recognize some USB 2.0 storage devices. Every USB 3.0 storage device works perfectly and is immediately detected. I've tried many different USB 2.0 devices with the result that some are working and some need exactly 5 minutes until the device gets recognized. For example the Corsair Flash Voyager is slow and the San Disk Cruzer Blade is fast.

If such a corrupt USB device is plugged in while starting the system, Windows stops booting after the "Starting Windows" dialog. Only when I unplug this device Windows continue with booting.

I know there is something wrong with our Windows Setup, so I use a new one for the following notebooks. But we've already installed some notebooks with that Setup and need to fix them now. Installing the system with the new Setup fixes the problem.

I've already tried to upgrade the BIOS, remove drivers from the Device Manager, install the latest driver and perform an system-upgrade but nothing fixed the problem.

Can you help me to solve this problem?

Thank you for your help & Best regards

Kai

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 3:11 PM

All replies

• Hi kai.holzer,

According to your description, do you mean that the in-place Upgrade doesn’t work?

Hard to say why this would happen with the USB hub. Most of the time it has to do with not recognizing devices properly, or power issues. I suppose if the external HDD is getting recognized as some generic device and the system is trying to boot from it by default, that could be causing the problem.

We could update the motherboard driver to check. Also we could perform a Clean Boot and temporarily turn off security software to check.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

For the boot fail issue, we could use the Bootrec.exe in the Windows RE to troubleshoot.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/927392/use-bootrec.exe-in-the-windows-re-to-troubleshoot-startup-issues

If the in-place Upgrade doesn’t work, a clean install may be a quick way to solve the issue.

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, March 2, 2017 7:30 AM
  • Hi Carl Fan,

thank you for your help.

Yes I've tried the In-Place Upgrade, because I thought it could fix a corrupt Windows.

An update of the motherboard, the clean boot and the Bootrec.exe didn't solve the problem.

The notebook stops booting after the "Starting Windows" dialog, so I think its not trying to boot from the USB device.

We've this problem on every notebook we've installed with our Windows 7 Setup where we included some updates and NVME drivers. A clean installation with our new Windows 7 Setup fixes the problem, but I'm looking for a solution without a clean installation of Windows, because it takes some time to reinstall the complete notebook and we've installed many notebooks with that setup.

An other strange fact is, only Notebooks are affected. Desktop computers and Workstations work fine with  the corrupt setup.

EDIT: On my test devices is no extra (security) software installed, only windows.

• Edited by kai.holzer Thursday, March 2, 2017 10:58 AM
    Thursday, March 2, 2017 9:42 AM
  • Hi RMoh,

Sorry for the late reply and thank you for your clarification.

There's no real difference between in-place upgrade and clean install, except that the custom install will keep your files where the clean install will erase everything.

We could try to boot into Safe Mode to check the issue.

Or we could create a disk from the computer works fine. Then we could try to use the disk to in-place upgrade.

Hope it will be helpful to you

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, March 20, 2017 9:29 AM
  • Hi Carl Fan,

thank you for your help.

it seems like there is a difference. I've tested it again on a notebook with a setup that works when i perform a clean installation. In safe boot the usb regognition isn't working too.

After the 5 minutes there is this error and i can use the usb drive:

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 12:20 PM
  • Hi, 

Have you tried to clear the USB store in registry key to check your issue?

Please delete all records under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\USBSTOR.

If this issue still persists, please upload the setupapi.dev.log under C:\Windows\INF onto OneDrive and share the link here for our research. 

Monday, March 27, 2017 10:00 AM
  • Hi,

I got an error if I try to delete this key.

Here you can download the log file: https://1drv.ms/t/s!AlEkaGvFwVuHhHazAAkPqGdZacnc

Friday, April 7, 2017 7:56 AM