Can I refresh a PC and keep my App-V Apps without having to re-install them RRS feed

• Question

• I have clients that are running Windows 7, and they have App-V client with several apps that were installed as "stand alone" (MSI's). If Windows breaks, and I have to re-image, is there a way that I can keep my virtual apps and not have to re-install them? I will be using MDT 2010 and the "refresh" task sequence.

Thanks,

Steve

Thursday, November 4, 2010 6:11 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Sounds like valid points, I can't really see why this would be a specific App-V problem but something in general for OS-deployments.

If you are giving the user a new PC because the old one had a failure (and nothing from the old one is saved) - you would always (as you do with the OS-image etc etc) need to get the data (my documents, base apps, OS, App-V apps) from whereever its stored to the client.

/Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Monday, November 22, 2010 10:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:35 PM
    Sunday, November 7, 2010 9:16 AM

All replies

• Hello,

1. You could make them a part of your image

2. You could add the as software install steps as part of preparing your PC (however, effectively installing them)

3. You could just reinstall them (as that is what you need todo as "window breaks and I have to re-image")

/Znack

Thursday, November 4, 2010 6:58 PM
  • So let me give more details....we have an image and it has a few "universal" applications installed natively in it. We have 140,000 users and and several thousand LOB apps. Any given user could have any combination of applications.

So to respond to your points:

1. Too many to make part of the image

2. Unknown at the time what apps a user will need/want. Over time, many different apps get installed. Would like to just be able to preserve the cache that was there, and have "instant" availability

3. Can be done, but was hoping to make this process quicker. Some applications are very large, and this would help with speed and network impact.

Steve

Thursday, November 4, 2010 7:02 PM
  • Hello,

Sounds like valid points, I can't really see why this would be a specific App-V problem but something in general for OS-deployments.

If you are giving the user a new PC because the old one had a failure (and nothing from the old one is saved) - you would always (as you do with the OS-image etc etc) need to get the data (my documents, base apps, OS, App-V apps) from whereever its stored to the client.

/Znack
    • Proposed as answer by znack Monday, November 22, 2010 10:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Saturday, November 17, 2012 2:35 PM
    Sunday, November 7, 2010 9:16 AM
  • The App-V client cache is located at: %ProgramData%\Microsoft\Application Virtualization Client\SoftGrid Client\sftfs.fsd. If you save the file before reinstalling Windows, you can move it back into place post installation of the App-V client.
    Monday, November 15, 2010 12:57 PM
  • Most App-V users who consider this use the server-based infrastructure to provide for user targeting and redelivery of the application. This may not be your end desire however as it would require extending your infrastructure.
    Friday, November 19, 2010 12:47 AM