Word closes when I am trying to save a document RRS feed

• Question

• I am faced with a weird issue in word 2007 and effectively 2010 as well.. The sequence of the problem is as follows.  Create a document, print document and when
    you try to save the document, word just closes unexpectedly without saving the document.  I have tried fresh install of OS (Windows XP), Office (both 2007 and
    2010).
    • I have removed any Anti-Virus software that may influence this.
    • Delete the normal.dot file
    • Change the default directory
    • Delete Registry entries

The hardware is sound, Intel CPU - E7400, 2GB RAM etc...

HELP!!!

Thursday, March 29, 2012 6:05 AM

All replies

• Have you tried a different printer driver?
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 11:25 PM
  • Good Question - Yes we have tried that...The printing is fine... it is the sequence of events that cause the word to closes. But then it flairs up again. The work-around
    currently is Ctrl-S before printing and after printing. I will see of Ricoh have a universal print driver.
    Thursday, March 29, 2012 11:43 PM
  • Hi,

Please try to save document in Safe Mode, the problem might caused by Add-in.

If not, please try to bypass the auto-registration for Word 2010 if you have two versions of Microsoft Word installed, follow these steps:

1.Exit Word 2010.
    2.Start Registry Editor.
    - In Windows 7 or Windows Vista, click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.
    - In Windows XP, click Start , click Run , type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK .

3.Locate and then click to select the following registry subkey:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\14.0\Word\Options

4.After you select the subkey that is specified in step 3, point to New on the Edit menu, and then click DWORD Value.
    5.Type NoReReg , and then press ENTER.
    6.Right-click NoReReg , and then click Modify .
    7.In the Valuedata box, type 1, and then click OK .
    8.On the File menu, click Exit to close Registry Editor.

KB:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2121447

Best regards.

William Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 5:49 AM
  • Thanks

I will check the add-on's, but this system had a fresh install and with only one Office installtion e.g. Office 2007.  It is the sequence of events that cause the word to closes.  If the document is created, printed and the user then try to save word closes.  If the user create a new word document, save without printing then it works fine.  It is the sequence of events e.g. create, print and then save that causes Microsoft Word to close.

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 9:53 PM
  • Are you facing same problem in svaeing all documents or a particular one?
    Friday, April 6, 2012 11:00 AM
  • Hi Thinusdp,

Any updates?

Best regards.

William Zhou

TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 9, 2012 12:56 AM
  • At this stage i would think it is only with new documents and again the sequence in which the documents are created. See previous comments

Monday, April 9, 2012 7:47 PM
  • I just had the same problem. I had like 5 pages too. Lost it all
    Saturday, July 14, 2012 6:45 PM