none
Search Component Alerting

Question

• I recently had an issue where our Query Processing component decided to die.  Looking at the Search Service Application administration page, I noticed the query processing component had a red X underneath it.  Looking up information to resolve this issue had me clone the active topology and replace the borken component, then activate the clone.  

Lacking foresight, I just worked on resolving the issue at hand, instead looking for an event ID or another marker as to what the component could be referenced as outside of SharePOint central management.  Once this marker was known, I could create a way to alert myself when another component may have went down or had issues.  Alas, I found myself looking for ways to alert on these components so I can know when I need to clone and replace like before.

I haven't found anything useful yet, so I was wondering if anyone out there knows of a way to set alerts on the Search Application Topology components?

Thank you,
    Trevor Bensen

Thursday, March 30, 2017 7:57 PM

Answers

• You could monitor using Powershell. Configuration in this example: https://www.google.nl/amp/s/junfengzhang.com/2016/07/01/monitor-sharepoint-2013-search-components-with-powershell/amp/ Just add an e-mail function to it to notify using email depending on the status.
    • Marked as answer by tbensen Friday, March 31, 2017 3:55 PM
    Thursday, March 30, 2017 9:59 PM

All replies

• You could monitor using Powershell. Configuration in this example: https://www.google.nl/amp/s/junfengzhang.com/2016/07/01/monitor-sharepoint-2013-search-components-with-powershell/amp/ Just add an e-mail function to it to notify using email depending on the status.
    • Marked as answer by tbensen Friday, March 31, 2017 3:55 PM
    Thursday, March 30, 2017 9:59 PM
  • I will give this a try.  Im not sure how to make a search component fail on command, but I'll set it up on my test farm.  I'll also look around to see if I can make a search component fail.

THanks,
    Trevor Bensen

Friday, March 31, 2017 1:37 PM
  • This solution works great.  After modifying the script to meet my needs, I created the Task.  

To get the components to fail, I shut off the Search Host Controller Service service.  After a minute or so I turned it back on.  Looking at the Search Administration page in the beginning moments, some of the components have errors as they are starting up.  I manually ran the Task, and I received an email stating which components were having errors.  Shortly after the email was sent, the components returned to their normal state.

Thanks again,
    Trevor Bensen

Friday, March 31, 2017 3:58 PM
  • Good to know everything worked out! Thank you for appreciating my contribution. Good luck and happy SharePointing!
    Friday, March 31, 2017 4:02 PM