none
convert .vsdx to .vdx RRS feed

• Question

• New to Visio and have been tasked with how to convert a .vsdx from Visio 2013 to a .vdx format. Looked all over and haven't discovered anything that works as of yet. Is there a file converter out there that will do so? Or is there some hidden voodoo within Visio 2013 that will do it that I haven't found?
    • Edited by jrevi Friday, October 3, 2014 9:17 PM
    Friday, October 3, 2014 9:13 PM

Answers

• No hidden voo-doo because it is a waste of time. Both scenarios are already xml (although based upon different schemas). You could probably save the vsdx file as a v2010 file and then use v2010 to save as vdx (yes it is a dumb idea). I've heard of those that had already created applications based upon the vdx schema, but IMHO the amount of work to reverse a vsdx to vdx would take more time than just rewriting the data reduction application they were already working with.

hth,

al edlund

Al Edlund Visio MVP

• Edited by Al Edlund Saturday, October 4, 2014 2:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by Greta Ge Wednesday, October 15, 2014 3:33 PM
    Saturday, October 4, 2014 2:03 PM

All replies

• New to Visio and have been tasked with how to convert a .vsdx from Visio 2013 to a .vdx format. Looked all over and haven't discovered anything that works as of yet. Is there a file converter out there that will do so? Or is there some hidden voodoo within Visio 2013 that will do it that I haven't found?

I'm not sure if there's a converter, but, the feature to save-as-VDX was removed in Visio2013:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc178954(v=office.15).aspx

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Saturday, October 4, 2014 7:23 AM
  • No hidden voo-doo because it is a waste of time. Both scenarios are already xml (although based upon different schemas). You could probably save the vsdx file as a v2010 file and then use v2010 to save as vdx (yes it is a dumb idea). I've heard of those that had already created applications based upon the vdx schema, but IMHO the amount of work to reverse a vsdx to vdx would take more time than just rewriting the data reduction application they were already working with.

hth,

al edlund

Al Edlund Visio MVP

• Edited by Al Edlund Saturday, October 4, 2014 2:06 PM
    • Marked as answer by Greta Ge Wednesday, October 15, 2014 3:33 PM
    Saturday, October 4, 2014 2:03 PM
  • Hello Don,

I wonder how you define  'helpful' and 'answer'?

If I state a problem my expectations are:

1.) the 'answer' solves the problem 

2.) and being 'helpful' offers a workaround or leads me to further research to find an answer

IMHO your answer did none of those

Tom

• Edited by tpowers215 Tuesday, March 17, 2015 4:29 PM
    Tuesday, March 17, 2015 4:28 PM
  • The short answer is that there is no current mechanism to convert from one schema to another.

blunt, but direct. You will have to come up with something other than not liking the answer.

al

Al Edlund Visio MVP

Thursday, March 19, 2015 2:43 PM
  • Hello Don,

I wonder how you define  'helpful' and 'answer'?

If I state a problem my expectations are:

1.) the 'answer' solves the problem 

2.) and being 'helpful' offers a workaround or leads me to further research to find an answer

IMHO your answer did none of those

Tom

Hello Tom, I would agree with your expectations/definition, with a third addition;
    3. There is no solution known (to me), for to the question (you have) asked/problem (you have).

In any case, if a response doesn't "answer" the question, or "is not helpful", then the response should not be marked as either of those.
    My earlier response, has not been marked as either answer nor helpful, and that's fine with me ;)
    Also, this forum platform allows the OP or a moderator to "unmark as answer", in the event that an incorrect response has been marked as answer.

Sometimes, there isn't a great answer available. Some questions/problems, simply don't have an answer within the community.

In this particular case, the OP was asking how to do something which MSFT have formally documented as "no longer available in 2013", and, there are no alternative solutions known to me. But the power of community is that somebody somewhere might have alternative options, and they could have contributed those alternatives here (either now or sometime in the future),but so far, nobody has.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Edited by DonPick Thursday, March 19, 2015 8:22 PM
    Thursday, March 19, 2015 8:21 PM