Outlook 2016, public folder with contact items: Notes tab not visible in reader pane in People view RRS feed

• Question

• Our environment is Outlook (Office 365 click-to-run version 1706) connecting to an Office 365 tenant. We have a public folder that contains contact items. If:

• User selects a contact item
    • View is set to People view
    • Reader pane is on
    • User has permissions of Publishing Author or lower

...Then the only tabs visible in the reader pane are CONTACT, ORGANIZATION, and MEMBERSHIP; NOTES is missing. However, if the user double-clicks the contact item, the NOTES tab and its contents are visible.

If the user has Editor or higher permissions, they see the NOTES tab in the reader pane.

Does anyone know why Outlook does not display the NOTES tab in the reader pane for users with lower permissions? Is there a way to change this behaviour?

• Edited by Jesse Harris Wednesday, July 26, 2017 9:57 PM
    • Moved by Steve Fan Friday, July 28, 2017 1:56 AM Move to dedicated Outlook forum
    Wednesday, July 26, 2017 9:57 PM

Answers

• Hi Jesse,

I saw the same behavior when tested with a shared contacts folder in my Outlook 2016. I cannot confirm whether this is a limitation or an expected behavior as I haven't seen any documentation mentioning this. I tend to think that this is the expected behavior. Editor or higher permission is required to view the Notes tab on contact card.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Jesse Harris Thursday, July 27, 2017 4:39 PM
    Thursday, July 27, 2017 3:01 AM

All replies

• Hi Jesse,

I saw the same behavior when tested with a shared contacts folder in my Outlook 2016. I cannot confirm whether this is a limitation or an expected behavior as I haven't seen any documentation mentioning this. I tend to think that this is the expected behavior. Editor or higher permission is required to view the Notes tab on contact card.

Regards,

Steve Fan

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by Jesse Harris Thursday, July 27, 2017 4:39 PM
    Thursday, July 27, 2017 3:01 AM
  • Okay, thank you for checking into it, Steve.
    Thursday, July 27, 2017 4:39 PM
  • My pleasure :)

Regards,

Steve Fan

Friday, July 28, 2017 1:23 AM