Windows 7 Updates list for MDT 2012? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a list of updates for windows 7 (post SP1 updates) out there?

I'm trying to download list of windows update and install it as an offline package to reduce time and bandwidth consumption after deployment. I tried looking from http://catalog.update.microsoft.com but it was a nightmare with thousands of updates listed as available and i seriously have no idea which updates are the one's that i require.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
    Jack

Monday, October 28, 2013 9:27 AM

Answers

• why don´t you make a image with all the updates included=

you can do this easily by deploying windows 7 to a virtual machine enable  ztiwindowsupdates in your task sequence to fully update windows and then capture it thus making a updated windows 7 image which you will use to deploy to your machines.

And to know which updates will be installed, add the following to your ZTIWindowsUpdates.wsf: "/query" then in your bdd.log you will see which updates would have been installed, (before actually download it and install them)

Check this great blog from Andrew for more explanation on this topic: MDT 2012: Automating updates in Lite-Touch Deployments

Another alternative is to download updates for Windows 7, with WSUS offline and import the packages, but be aware since certain updates can cause your installation to stall since not all updates are applicable during the wim being applied to the hard drive and DISM generates an error! http://download.wsusoffline.net/

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

• Edited by Hollanders, Rens Monday, October 28, 2013 12:57 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jack_Tan Wednesday, October 30, 2013 9:44 AM
    Monday, October 28, 2013 12:54 PM
  • you might use /query to check what will be downloaded but not in a in progress deployment.

Monday, October 28, 2013 1:12 PM

All replies

you can do this easily by deploying windows 7 to a virtual machine enable  ztiwindowsupdates in your task sequence to fully update windows and then capture it thus making a updated windows 7 image which you will use to deploy to your machines.

Monday, October 28, 2013 12:51 PM

And to know which updates will be installed, add the following to your ZTIWindowsUpdates.wsf: "/query" then in your bdd.log you will see which updates would have been installed, (before actually download it and install them)

Check this great blog from Andrew for more explanation on this topic: MDT 2012: Automating updates in Lite-Touch Deployments

Another alternative is to download updates for Windows 7, with WSUS offline and import the packages, but be aware since certain updates can cause your installation to stall since not all updates are applicable during the wim being applied to the hard drive and DISM generates an error! http://download.wsusoffline.net/

• Edited by Hollanders, Rens Monday, October 28, 2013 12:57 PM
    Monday, October 28, 2013 12:54 PM
  • you might use /query to check what will be downloaded but not in a in progress deployment.

Monday, October 28, 2013 1:12 PM

*nods*  I also have more luck with incorporating the updates vs. injecting them via the install packages.  However, if you must download the updates, I wouldn't suggest wsusoffline, the GUI and processing of the data is not friendly IMO.  I've used the utility on this site before and it worked much better:

http://www.windows-update-checker.com/

/Brian G

-BrianG (http://supportishere.com)

• Marked as answer by Jack_Tan Wednesday, October 30, 2013 9:05 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Jack_Tan Wednesday, October 30, 2013 9:05 AM
    Monday, October 28, 2013 6:08 PM
  • Thanks guys. Adding the /query helps with the log, it's still a long list to download from Microsoft Catalog Update nonetheless.

http://download.wsusoffline.net/

does it download all the updates as a cab file? I wasn't really sure what it really does, since its downloading stuff on command prompt as i type this. (As Brian suggested, its somewhat unfriendly for first time users).

Thanks for the advice Stefan. It's a good solution , but i have a nitpicking boss who wants to skip all the user interaction (out-of-box experience from a sysprep image) so i have to download the updates (msu files) and install them manually.

So the last step to all of this is to put in the "Install Updates Offline" step at say the end of the task sequence?

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 7:00 AM
  • if you import your updated image to MDT you can use it to deploy your image and if needed you can modify the unattended.xml file of your task sequence to automate it even futher.

so why go through OOBE if MDT can do it for you?

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 7:19 AM
  • What I don't understand and I see it more and more, the 'propose your own answer as answer' and marking and ignoring other peoples answers? What's up with this????

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 8:29 AM
  • Perhaps im missing something stephan. When you say import my updated image, you do mean sysprep and capture from MDT right? I tried that once and deploy the updated image, still going through OOBE even when i have provided all necessary information in the unattended file.

As for rens, i din't mark my own reply as the answer nor did I ignore others answer as well (albeit i didn't mark any as answers yet, because I've still some question to ask) , so I'm not sure what's with the outburst.

I do appreciate whoever participates and provide suggestions here, so hopefully you guys don't get me wrong out here.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 9:13 AM
  • Lets not over complicate things. The original question was, 'how can you see a list of updates as regarding to Windows 7', we've explained that by adding '/query' to the ZTIWindowsUpdate.wsf  you will see in your BDD.log which updates would have been downloaded and installed on your system.

Now for injecting updates and packages offline, this is perfectly possible but only applicable to Windows 7 (since I assume you have not created an MDT reference image with Windows 7 and Office) which you are going to service now.

Injecting updates can be done by importing them in MDT under the Packages folder, all CAB and MSU files (they can either be imported from the WSUS content folder, or WSUS Offline content folder) can then be injected via a selection profile (this profile basically is a filter on your deployment share structure which folder it should present to a certain step)

From there during the 'apply packages' step, updates are injected offline.

As I mentioned before, you need to be careful and possibly do some troubleshooting up ahead right after you have imported all Windows 7 CAB and MSU files, since some files are not suitable for offline injecting/servicing, which will cause an error during this phase, which can be reviewed, debugged, by looking at the DISM.log

That's it :)

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 9:25 AM
  • yes i mean the image that was previously made by MDT the one which would have all the updates inside. in my enviroment i have no problems with this method and do not get the OOBE.

and to clarify i/we answered his question but it's not really the recommended way to handle things.and wanted to show a different and in my opinion easier way to get the end result which is an updated image to use for deployment so that you save on deployment time and bandwidth.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013 10:42 AM
  • Thanks for your detailed explanation Rens. I see where you're getting too. Appreciate it you take the time to do that lengthy explanation so i don't miss anything. Marked all the correct answers, and cheers! =D

Perhaps i'm missing something stephan i'll go back and have another try on capturing a fully updated reference image and install it again. Thanks again for your feedback. Will come back to you with my results.

Cheers to everyone who replied here!

Thursday, October 31, 2013 7:27 AM