Norton 360 Registry Cleaner With Windows 7 Ultimate RRS feed

• Question

• I can not get Norton 360 to run Registry Cleaner with Windows 7 Ultimate. It will do everything else the 360 program has going but says: " It  is unable to take required System Restore point"   When I try to make a new set point it tells me that it can not because it can not access a needed file. This happens even when I disable the fire wall and anti-virus.   How do I get the registry cleaner part of the Norton 360 to work with my Windows 7 Ultimate?
    This is being run on a HP Pavilion laptop dv9500t with the 64 bit.
    Friday, November 6, 2009 8:28 PM

All replies

• Thank your lucky stars you can't get it to run. As has been said many times, registry cleaners seldom do anything good and often create other problems.

Why do you think you need to run the cleaner? Do you have a problem? If so, explain the problem here and perhaps someone can help you solve it.

Saturday, November 7, 2009 1:34 AM
  • Thank your lucky stars you can't get it to run. As has been said many times, registry cleaners seldom do anything good and often create other problems.

Quoted, endorsed, emphasised!

And if you are a bit bewildered why anybody would suggest NOT to install and use registry cleaner products, please have a look at the ecellent comment made by jmhonzell is this thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprogeneral/thread/ba853715-ab41-4282-9bcd-585a876eada4

Try following the suggestions made there, and I'm sure you'll quickly develop a different outlook on the desirability of Registry Cleaner products!

Cheers.

P.S.

Have you suitably updated Norton 360?  Are you using a recent enough version?  Older versions of the software are incompatible.

http://community.norton.com/norton/board/message?board.id=Norton_360&thread.id=19525

• Proposed as answer by Techwrighter Sunday, November 8, 2009 12:52 AM
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 4:27 AM
  • I guess I am just one of those ____ retentive people. I bought the entire program and I want it to run all parts as it use to do.

Norton sent me instructions to "Change the Path Environment Variables".....Is that a safe thing to do?  The instructions are very clear step by step and I printed them out to trey, but after your comment I am not sure I should even though they sound simple to follow.
    Monday, November 9, 2009 7:12 PM
  • The motor car which I purchased and which is sitting in my driveway is capable of travelling at speeds of over 100mph, but I have no desire whatsoever to try doing that just because the thing is capable of doing it!

I know motor vehicle analogies often get pooh-poohed or frowned upon, but what you are saying there is basically the same "it can, so I want to" principle!

Is making change to environment variables 'safe'?  You haven't mentioned what variables are to be changed, so how could somebody else comment?  Changes to make Norton 360 'work' are one thing, but what if they also have impact on other operations of the PC?  It's most likely an innocent alteration, but how can people be sure without seeing what changes are advised to you?

Anyways, third-party software tools are always 'at your own risk', and as such not necessarily 'safe' even though they might be published by a reputable company.  Symantec/Norton software has had a long history of being 'invasive' with respect to the OS installation. 
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 10:37 PM