BITS fails to download update - error 0x40008? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everybody,

I'm trying to resolve a problem with Windows Server 2016, where BITS attempts to redownload several updates again and again but fails with error 0x40008. This doesn't seem to be a very common problem because I have found almost no reference to this error on the internet. Also I'm not a Windows Server expert, so there may be something I'm missing. I think this is caused by WSUS, since it tries to download the update in several languages.

In the Event viewer I see BITS starting downloads for http://b1.download.windowsupdate.com/d/upgr/2019/10/18363.418.191007-0143.19h2_release_svc_refresh_clientbusiness_vol_a64fre_en-gb-<long hex> (2.1GB).

5 minutes later I get 

BITS stopped transferring the <long hex> transfer job that is associated with the http://b1.download.windowsupdate.com/d/upgr/2019/10/18363.418.191007-0143.19h2_release_svc_refresh_clientbusiness_vol_a64fre_en-gb_<long hex>.esd URL. The status code is 0x40008. Afterwards it restarts the download immediately and it fails with the same error, eating all our bandwidth.

As a workaround I do:

bitsadmin /reset /allusers

as the system user and this stops the downloads for 6-12 hours.

Anyone has an idea what else I could try? THanks!

Monday, July 13, 2020 7:58 AM

All replies

• Hi fkaempfer,

Thanks for posting on this forum.

To avoid misunderstanding, please help to confirm the following information:
    1. Where did you found this error 0x40008 message?  Could you provide screenshots of this error?

2. How many languages did you select on the WSUS console? We may check the language number according to the following picture:

3. Whether you enabled Automatic Approves rule in the WSUS or not? Please assist in checking what are the KB number that the WSUS download failed.

Regards,
    Rita

"WSUS" forum will be migrating to a new home on Microsoft Q&A!
    We invite you to post new questions in the "WSUS" forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A!
    For more information, please refer to the sticky post.

Please remember to mark as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 14, 2020 2:18 AM
  • Hello Rita Hu,

thank you very much for your response.

1. The error appears in the event viewer under Application and Service Logs -> Microsoft -> Windows -> Bits Client -> Operational. I found it while investigating the bandwidth use of svchost.exe (netsvcs).

I cannot post an image to the forum here yet (account not verified) so I uploaded it here:

https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=B278B04CB3729E94&id=B278B04CB3729E94%21105&parId=root&o=OneUp

The event above immediately starts the download again.

2. The languages selected in the WSUS Console are French and English

3. The automatic approval rule for Security and Critical Updates is active, there are still a few updates we have not yet approved (mostly definition updates and Win10 20.04). I do not know how to find the KB number of the update that fails to download, the only trace of the failure I found is under the BITS event log - so I'm not 100% sure it is caused by WSUS, but quite certain.

Regards,

Frederick

Tuesday, July 14, 2020 6:54 AM
  • Delete the VM and start over.  WSUS is disposable.  It is almost always faster to start from scratch than solve an issue with WSUS
    Wednesday, July 15, 2020 1:10 AM
  • Hi fkaempfer,

Thanks for your response.

Please assist in confirming whether the error in the figure below is consistent with your environment or not:

This seems to be a normal error. Consider following the link below to configure the IIS first. This error may be due to poor configuration in the IIS.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4490414/windows-server-update-services-best-practices

Regards,
    Rita

We invite you to post new questions in the "WSUS" forum's new home on Microsoft Q&A!

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, July 15, 2020 6:03 AM
  • Hello Rita Hu,

thank you for your answer.

Yes this error is exactly what we are seeing.

So if this error is normal, the real error that causes the massive downloads must lie elsewhere. Since a few weeks (5-6?) WSUS is downloading 100s of GB of updates per week of what seems to be always the same kind of update (including release_svc_refresh_clientbusiness in the name). Even if the update is 2.2GB and there are 4-5 locales to download, bandwidth usage should not be in the 100s of GBs (which is almost 100% network utilisation - the bandwidth is only 2Mbps).

At this point I'm merely guessing where the problem could lie, below are some ideas, but nothing seems to be leading anywhere. If you have any more suggestion what to try that would be great. Otherwise I might end up reinstalling WSUS. 

----

All disks have enough free space, but I wonder if IIS could be running out of memory (5GB allocated currently - for around 50 clients).

I'm looking in the IIS logs under C:\inetpub\logs\LogFiles and there does not seem to be anything special, except a 500 error that appears, but there is not any detail:

2020-07-14 19:51:46 10.1.0.1 POST /ReportingWebService/ReportingWebService.asmx - 8530 - 10.2.1.41 Windows-Update-Agent/10.0.10011.16384+Client-Protocol/2.0 - 500 0 0 93

HTTPERR does not show anything special either.

In the application error log in the event viewer I also see sometimes this Event ID 1001:

Fault bucket , type 0
    Event Name: WindowsUpdateFailure3
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: 10.0.14393.3659
    P2: 80070643
    P3: 574C4E34-7A64-4D62-A90D-62818C403AE0
    P4: Install
    P5: 200
    P6: 0
    P7: 800705b4
    P8: Windows Defender
    P9: {9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77}
    P10: 0

Attached files:

These files may be available here:

Analysis symbol: 
    Rechecking for solution: 0
    Report Id: ae723507-c5f9-11ea-9966-000c290c7191
    Report Status: 262144

But this seems to be the installation of a local update failing (??)

Wednesday, July 15, 2020 8:13 AM
  • I have also applied the best practices listed in the article you linked. We will see if that helps.

Wednesday, July 15, 2020 10:16 AM
  • Hi fkaempfer,

0X80070643 is a general error. It is difficult to troubleshoot. In addition, 0X800705B4 -2147023436 ERROR_TIMEOUT occurs when the timeout period expired.

According to the description above, you have enabled Automatic Approvals rule. It is not recommended to approve Microsoft Security Updates by Automatic Approves rule. The database and WSUS server load maybe heavy during the approval process. 

Please help to check the following information:

Check for updates status which download failed on the WSUS console as the following steps:
    -Build a  new Update View and filter out updates as products and classification. Then we could check for "Approved" updates. If there are any error messages, please share the error screenshots with me.

Regards,

Rita

Thursday, July 16, 2020 6:37 AM
  • Hello Rita Hu,

thank you very much for your help with this. I think we are on the right track.

I looked at the updates as you suggested and there were a lot of updates downloading that were neither needed by nor installed on any client, that could explain the high amount of traffic. I did not find any errors, except for some updates failing to install on clients, which we know how to fix.

I have unapproved the unneeded updates for the time being. Now I need to wait a few days to observe if that solves the problem.

The reason we activated the default automatic approval is that we want the clients to get the important updates as quickly as possible (without manual approval by an administrator). Which setting makes the most sense for the default automatic approval, or perhaps it is better to approve everything manually?

Regards,

Frederick

Thursday, July 16, 2020 9:18 AM
  • Hi fkaempfer,

In my opinion, updates with longer release cycles and no superseded relationships are more appropriate to use automatic approval rules.      

As for approval, we need to approve the latest update for the clients. Also, it is recommended to approve these updates which shown "Needed" on WSUS console but not superseded by others. 

In addition, don't forget to configure IIS as the above link. It is essential for the WSUS.

Regards,
    Rita  

Thursday, July 16, 2020 9:41 AM
  • Hi fkaempfer,

I am honored to assist you in solving the problem! 

If my answer is helpful to you, please consider marking the corresponding answer as ending the current thread. 

If you still have questions, please keep in touch.

Regards, 
    Rita

Thursday, July 23, 2020 3:23 AM