none
Modern Apps not working after joining Windows 8.1 to domain.

Question

• I followed article ID 2798317 Win8 Mondern apps fail to start if default registry or file permission modified. But I still have the problem that when I join a device running Win8 the modern apps do not work.  I hava surface pro 3 and lenove yoga2 running Win8.1 and they both exhibit the same problem.  The DC is a running 2008 R2.  Prior to joining the domain I ran Regshot and after joining I ran it again a compared the two.  The first thing was that the registry key HKLM\Driver was remove...6000+ entries.  The other changes were to numerous and I don't fully understand most of the setting.  I notice that the hives that should have the "All Application Package"s group were overwritten with the DC setting. When I attempt the add the "All Application Packages" group the other groups were deleted.  I manully added them back and the system would not boot after the changes.  So I conducted another refresh of the system.    I have read several blogs but no of the suggests has worked for me. Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

Dejacpp

Tuesday, February 03, 2015 11:15 PM

Answers

• Frank,

Thanks for your assistance but the articles you mentioned I tried and nothing worked.  I rebuilt the surface 3x because after removing the surface from the domain the only way to get the modern apps to work was a complete refresh. The solution that worked for me:

1. Created an OU that had no inheritance or enforced GPOs
    2. Created the computer object before joining the domain
    3. Join the computer to the domain, checked modern apps and they worked
    4. enforced the minimum GPOs that we use and didn't no apply the default domain GPO, this is the one I suspect is the problem.

From what I have read and discovered by taking a snap shot of the registry before and after joining a Win8 device .I believe the problem is are the new settings in Win8 that are not in server 2008/ compatibility problems with Win8 and server 2008.  When we switch to server 2012 I do not think we will have a problem.

Dejacpp

• Edited by DeJacpp1 Thursday, February 05, 2015 4:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by DeJacpp1 Thursday, February 05, 2015 4:22 PM
    Thursday, February 05, 2015 4:17 PM

All replies

• Hi Dejacpp,

Before going further, is the symptom of our situation as described in the KB 2798317? Besides, as mentioned in the article, we can run command gpresult/h gpreport.html with admin privileges on one of troubles clients to check if this is related to group policy.

In addition, the following two threads focused on the similar issue and can be worth taking a look.

All Modern apps fail to start after Windows 8.1 upgrade

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-windows_store/all-modern-apps-fail-to-start-after-windows-81/a80793c7-c214-43ec-9ca9-5c758f9ad840

Metro UI apps in Windows 8 does not work after joining to domain Why???

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/e7dadb12-6bb7-499f-a3df-b58dda9b6792/metro-ui-apps-in-windows-8-does-not-work-after-joining-to-domain-why?forum=w8itproappcompat

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 05, 2015 6:13 AM
  • Frank,

Thanks for your assistance but the articles you mentioned I tried and nothing worked.  I rebuilt the surface 3x because after removing the surface from the domain the only way to get the modern apps to work was a complete refresh. The solution that worked for me:

1. Created an OU that had no inheritance or enforced GPOs
    2. Created the computer object before joining the domain
    3. Join the computer to the domain, checked modern apps and they worked
    4. enforced the minimum GPOs that we use and didn't no apply the default domain GPO, this is the one I suspect is the problem.

From what I have read and discovered by taking a snap shot of the registry before and after joining a Win8 device .I believe the problem is are the new settings in Win8 that are not in server 2008/ compatibility problems with Win8 and server 2008.  When we switch to server 2012 I do not think we will have a problem.

Dejacpp

• Edited by DeJacpp1 Thursday, February 05, 2015 4:21 PM
    • Marked as answer by DeJacpp1 Thursday, February 05, 2015 4:22 PM
    Thursday, February 05, 2015 4:17 PM