none
SAP R/3 migration to Hyper-V 2012 R2

Question

• Hello Hyper-V Team,

We are planning to virtualize a physical (DL380 G3) server - hosting SAP R/3 with SQL 2000, on Windows 2003 Enterprise SP2 - to Hyper-V 2012 R2. Would anyone be able to tell us what, if any, compatibility issues could arise?

I did try asking this of SAP support, but no response from them, and I have not been able to locate relevant information for SAP R/3 specifically.

Thank you,
    Sergey

Tuesday, April 25, 2017 2:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Sir,

>>hosting SAP R/3 with SQL 2000, on Windows 2003 Enterprise SP2 - to Hyper-V 2012 R2.

>>I did try asking this of SAP support, but no response from them

Unfortunately , windows server 2003 is out of support list .

I'd suggest you to perform application level migration from physical to virtual .

IMHO ,if the physical server is using a normal disk you may try to use disk2VHD :

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ee656415.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

if the physical server is using additional disk driver , such as RAID controller you may try to use SCVMM to perform P2V  :

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh427293(v=sc.12).aspx

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc764232.aspx

Best Regards,

Elton

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 28, 2017 7:14 AM
  • As Elton states, Windows Server 2003 is no longer supported by Microsoft.  Neither is SQL 2000.  My guess is that SAP R/3 is not either, particular when it is being run on an unsupported operating system and an unsupported database.  And if I recall correctly, SAP did not initially support their product running in a virtual environment, so that is a fourth strike against what you are doing.

Windows Server 2003 was written before the virtualization craze took over.  As a result, it has nothing in that recognizes being run in a virtual environment.  It is not at all uncommon to have issues running it in a virtual environment, particularly if the virtual machine is converted from a physical machine.  So if you want to continue down the path of running unsupported, your best option would be to create a Windows Server 2003 VM from scratch and install all the products anew on the new VM.  

I am hopeful that your company is not relying too heavily on this configuration.

tim

Saturday, April 29, 2017 1:03 PM

• We are planning to virtualize a physical (DL380 G3) server - hosting SAP R/3 with SQL 2000, on Windows 2003 Enterprise SP2 - to Hyper-V 2012 R2. 

You will probably not get any support for three unsupported components, neither from MS nor from SAP. But if you want to take the risk, you could:

1) dump output of "ipconfig /all" to a text file for later reference

2) stop SAP-related services on the server

3) use DISK2VHD to create a VHDX file from the server's disks

4) create a new VM in Hyper-V and attach the VHDX

5) Reconfigure NIC with the settings saved in step 1

Monday, May 01, 2017 4:04 PM